www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 17th, 2006, 00:41   #1
Kid Genius

Default Noisy TDI?

I am wondering if anyone experiences the same noisiness as I do. My TDI PD 100hp is relatively quiet after start up. But after hard acceleration or running the engine at 75mph for a while the noise level increases substantially similar to a diesel truck idling. It is more prevalent if I slowly accelerate when RPM is at about 1000 until I hit a certain point and the deep rumble of the the diesel kicks in. I don't think it is the diesel fuel itself because I've tried numerous stations and still the same.

Do you think the noise is normal? or is it my engine? or perhaps my oil.

Thanks.
Kid Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 00:57   #2
TMoney

Fuel Economy: 42-46

Hmm..mines usually loudest when I first start it up.
TMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:22   #3
BillH04A4PD

Same here, loudest when cold...
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:08   #4
cconrad
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36mpg Passat
Default PD noise

Mine on a cold day is a little louder at startup, I also get a slow knocking on really cold days that varies with throttle, but it goes away after a couple minutes. Perhaps you may have an exhaust leak ? The heat expands a weak joint ??
cconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:26   #5
TDIMAXIMA
Veteran Member

My friend, I just posted this last week. I have been having this same problem with mine with the same motor. After Im all warmed up, when the car is at lower rpm's, the motor is louder, almost as if somethign is loose and vibrating. After sitting idle for 2 minutes or less, it goes quiet again, and I cant reporduce the sounds untill after i start driving again.
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:31   #6
Sooch
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Golf
Fuel Economy: 44-45

Could it be something to do with the ERG duty cycle?
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #2
John Deere Telematics
05 Golf TDI - Modified
03 Passat 1.8T - Stock (Her's)...Yawn
Sooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:50   #7
TDIMAXIMA
Veteran Member

Mine only started 3 weeks ago at about 90k. It sounds like a gurgle/rumble. It resonates and matches teh sound of the motor. To me, it means its feading off something. Normally I would think it was a exhaust leak.
Old March 17th, 2006, 17:00   #8
Kid Genius

TDIMaxima,

Sorry for duplicating your post. Mine is 2 months old-7000K. After an oil change, it sounds better for 2 days, but quickly returns back to the old sound. I have not tried to idle for 2 mins again.

I am almost sure it is not a leak in the exhaust. My noise sounds like it is coming from the cylinders. You really hear the chugging like a diesel truck.

The wierd thing is I don't get it when the engine is cold. Perhaps because the oil is cold too and thicker?
Kid Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 18:56   #9
skippytdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 jet-ta
Fuel Economy: crap - Citgo brand fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Genius
the deep rumble of the the diesel kicks in.
Whats the problem?

I have tried some of engine output tests and when the Vag-com does its EGR cycling tests there is definetely a HUGE clatter difference. Whether there is more clatter with the EGR cycling or not i cannot remember, but i would have to agree with sooch in that it may be the EGR.
I don't know the ECU's programming logic but i would say that after a high speed run the engine would be more capable of dealing with EGR flow at idle than, for example, right after startup.
I am making that up though, it may be right or wrong.
MP
very nice, very nice, very nice
...but maybe in the next world
"the smiths"

Last edited by skippytdi; March 17th, 2006 at 18:58.
skippytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 19:37   #10
TDIMAXIMA
Veteran Member

No need to apologise. Its simple mine, during RPM increase between 1-2k, i get a vibration rumble sound. If i run 2nd gear to 2k, then let off, it makes a rythmic rouble, almost pulsates. Then when i rev it , its louder. once it cools off, it goes away untill i start driving again.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:01   #11
TDINJ
Veteran Member

TDIMAXIMA,
I think the issue I'm having is the same as yours. When fully warmed up my engine makes this oscillating type of noise - sort of a "wuh-wuh-wuh" sound. If I tap on the pedal to just over about 1,200 RPMs, it goes away. I've also wondered if it was the EGR causing this somehow, or maybe an exhaust leak somewhere.....

Have you cleaned out the EGR valve itself? I haven't yet but wonder if maybe it's sticking or something.

Let me know if you find a cure ;-)
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:33   #12
TDIMAXIMA
Veteran Member

both our cars are setup the same. 1200 rpms, sounds liek a leak. if the rpms drop from 2k and down, i hear a rythmic pulse like the sound is going on and off, on and off. between 1st and third gear, i can hear it up to 2k. Highway, nothing. If teh car is cold, or sits idle for 2 minutes, or even less, teh sound goes away untill i drive again. never cleaned EGR. 100K.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:51   #13
TDINJ
Veteran Member

Just to confirm - mine does this once warmed up at idle, and up to about 1,200 rpms. Above that it's gone. It's kind of a warble or rythmic rouble (like you describe). Mine has done this since about 10,000 miles. I'm a little over 45,000 miles now.

Maybe this weekend I'll get under it with a mechanics stethoscope, and poke around near the exhaust/engine area. I'd love to be able to figure it out, and stop it.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:42   #14
TDIMAXIMA
Veteran Member

Its definately harder to hear when you wind it up. So, you actually here it at idle. Unless im used to it, I dont hear it at idle. Confiirm this. After it cools for a couple of minutes, does it stop?
Old March 20th, 2006, 20:26   #15
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

I know the sound. never heard it when the car was new, after 60K now, I can hear something similar after a long high speed run. I suspect it comes from the bellhousing though, may be flywheel is getting out of balance?
If push the clutch in , it varies and sometimes it's not there.
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote