www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 13th, 2006, 15:43   #1
ChadMC

Default How to drain fuel

I've been making biodiesel for quite a few months now. But this latest batch is running very bad. I need to drain the fuel from my 2001 vw golf tdi. I'm not sure how to do this and need some advice. I tried sticking a tube from a fuel pump I have down the nozzle hole where you fill up. It didn't suck anything out though.

So, what's the best way to get the fuel out of my car? Is there a drain on the bottom of the tank?
ChadMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 15:47   #2
bheaston
Veteran Member

your basic siphoning technique should work as long as you don't mind a mouthful of b100.........but it's gotta be easier to stomach than the diesel of the crude variety anyway. If you're careful, you won't get a mouthful, just listen carefully.
Old March 13th, 2006, 16:30   #3
ChadMC

i got a hose as far as it will go down. I sucked about 5 gallons out of it. No more will come out. I may just have to burn the fuel. It's still driveable. It just has loss of power and fluctuates when you step on it hard.
Old March 13th, 2006, 18:05   #4
naturist
Veteran Member

If you flip up the back seat, you can peel up the carpet under it, and remove the fuel sender unit from the top of the tank. It is easy then to suck out the rest of the fuel through the fairly large hole the sender occupied. This is the way dealerships usually do it when people tow in a misfueled TDI.
naturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 18:34   #5
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Rather than suck on the hose stuck in the sending unit hole, put you hose all the way in until the hose is full of fuel. Stick a finger over the end of the hose to keep the fuel from running out of the hose, then pull the hose up and out of the car into the container. Release the end of the hose and the fuel will flow without sucking on the hose.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 20:04   #6
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadMC
i got a hose as far as it will go down. I sucked about 5 gallons out of it. No more will come out. I may just have to burn the fuel. It's still driveable. It just has loss of power and fluctuates when you step on it hard.
Sounds like a clogged fuel filter.
Old March 13th, 2006, 20:53   #7
ChadMC

I'm almost positive its not a clogged fuel filter, because the problem occured almost immedietly after I filled up with this batch of bioD.

I have a fuel pump, so.. no need for me to be sucking anything. I'll try the fuel sender location tomorrow.
Old March 13th, 2006, 22:34   #8
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

And have some rags handy.

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 22:44   #9
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

I think that most autoparts stores sell a siphon tube.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:28   #10
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie
I think that most autoparts stores sell a siphon tube.
My Dad calls it his "credit card".
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 13:05   #11
ChadMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist
If you flip up the back seat, you can peel up the carpet under it, and remove the fuel sender unit from the top of the tank. It is easy then to suck out the rest of the fuel through the fairly large hole the sender occupied. This is the way dealerships usually do it when people tow in a misfueled TDI.
Which part exactly am I trying to remove? Am I going to be removing the entire circled area? Or just one of the fuel lines? I can't seem to figure out how to remove either one.

Do I unscrew the large black plastic outer rim?
Old March 14th, 2006, 13:22   #12
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadMC
Which part exactly am I trying to remove? Am I going to be removing the entire circled area? Or just one of the fuel lines? I can't seem to figure out how to remove either one.

Do I unscrew the large black plastic outer rim?
Yes, you have to unscrew the large black plastic outer rim/ring to lift up the sending unit. I use a piece of wood and a rubber mallet. Just make sure "righty tighty, lefty loosey". Light frequent taps work well.

Mark the ring onto the tank to make sure you put it back on and that it's tight enough.

The fuel line connectors have a tab that you need to push in so that they can be released.

Look at this, the tab is the part on top near the edge of the connector:

See where my finger nail is pressing down?? that's the tab you need to press in

L
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF,Standheizung,Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge

Last edited by tongsli; March 14th, 2006 at 13:30.
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote