thanks go to TDIparts.com and elbow-grease

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Hello all,

I just received my new brake parts i had ordered from tdiparts.com and was so anxious to get them installed, i did it tonight from 9-11. I had the solid front disks/rear drums setup and when i opened the box of new rotors and saw them vented :eek: and cross-drilled :cool: I really started sweating it. Proceeding to take the wheels off, i could see the huge difference in my brake rotor and the one i was trying to put on, you could swear it wouldn't fit inside the caliper with the new pads.

Well, 2 hours later and greased up to my elbows I had both front disks in and matched to Mintex red box pads. There used to be about 1 cm gap on either side of the rotor where it spins inside the carrier; now there's not even 2 mm. Also, the old pads weren't completely wiping the rotor surface because at the very back they looked thick like new. Now they wipe to entire surface and the disc can "breathe" as it's being stopped.

Needless to say, the braking power and pedal feel is just awesome, it rivals my C230 Kompressor coupe. Comparing the old and new rotors side by side, the new ones are bigger diameter, but not by much. They still fit in the carriers, so i'm ok.

Anyway, a big thanks to tdiparts.com for a set of great parts and prices and fast fast fast shipping. Never knew 4-7 ground could get to me in 3 days. Absolutely love this car, drives like a champ on its way past 305k miles.

PharoahTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Sounds like the same problem I encountered last year on my Passat. The PO had put in solid rotors and there were some large gaps all around. After looking into it, I found that it should have had vented front rotors not solid. So it looks like someone either did not know what they were doing or cheaped out on the parts.

The new (correct) vented rotors make quite a difference.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Easy: You should put a light dab of brake grease behind the brake pads, and on the caliper bolts, when you install new brakes.

JP
jck66 said:
How the heck do you get grease on yourself doing brakes??:confused:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
grease can be made from LOTS of brake dust and brake parts cleaner, which is what i used to clean the mounting surface and other parts, and there was so much black dust there that dripped onto the garage floor as well as my hands while working on it. being a non-professional i tend to get down ad dirty, how else do you know you're doing it right?