www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old March 7th, 2006, 05:25   #1
dieselgypsy

Fuel Economy: 49
Exclamation Car Won't Start After Erasing Codes

I have a 2000 Beetle (TDI, manual transmission, made in Mexico) that has 98,000 miles on it. Last month, the check engine light came on. I used my Actron OBDII diagnostic tool to check the code: Bad glow plug.

A few days before I could change out the glow plug, my wife was driving it and she complained that it lost power (won't go up hills, takes a mile on the highway to get up to speed, etc).

On Saturday, I found the bad glow plug and changed the fuel filter (since it was due to be changed).

I started up the car. It ran beautifully! While it was running I thought I would check the diagnostic tool to see what code(s) shows up. The code indicating a bad glow plug showed up and another code: P1556. (I know there is a wealth of info on this forum concerning this code, so I'll figure that out when I get this other problem solved!)

I thought to myself that I'd erase the codes and let them come back on their own. As I told it to ERASE the codes, it SHUT MY CAR DOWN. This is when I realized that I shouldn't have had the engine running when I did this.

Now the car won't start. When I try to start the car, the motor will turn over, but it never fires up. Sometimes the indicator lights on my instrument panel go crazy while I'm trying to start the car. Sometimes my "low oil" light comes on but my oil level is fine.

On a whim, I disconnected the positive battery cable from the positive terminal and let it sit over night. This morning, I reconnected the battery, put the key in the ignition, and it still would not start.

For the record, I read the FAQ about "my car won't start" and nothing on that list (check anti-shutter valve, etc) seems to correct my problem.

Did I fry my ECM? Will this cost me a lot of money?

Any ideas? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
dieselgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:56   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

This sounds real strange. Eraseing the codes while the engine is running should not be a problem... I do it all the time with my vag-com.

With the ignition on, can you still talk with the ECU with your scan tool? Where are you located?

-Jason
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:11   #3
dieselgypsy

With the ignition on, I can still talk with the ECU with my scan tool. It does not see any trouble codes.

I'm located in central Virginia (between Charlottesville, Richmond, and Farmville). Anyone on this forum live in this area?
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:19   #4
dlai
Veteran Member

I'm going to guess it's your fuel filter since you changed that. Is there bubbles in the clear line going to the fuel filter? Can you see anything flowing throught there? I suspect the tee on the filter has a really slow leak. If the clear line looks like there's nothing flowing, reprime the filter and reset the tee so it's really tight. When you changed the filter, did you also change the little "o" rings?

Good luck.

Chainless Since 4/22/09
dlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:29   #5
JettaJake
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 GLS 5spd
Fuel Economy: ~47 lifetime mpg @ 185K miles

Several tens of members live in your general area.
JettaJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 13:01   #6
dieselgypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlai
I'm going to guess it's your fuel filter since you changed that. Is there bubbles in the clear line going to the fuel filter? Can you see anything flowing throught there? I suspect the tee on the filter has a really slow leak. If the clear line looks like there's nothing flowing, reprime the filter and reset the tee so it's really tight. When you changed the filter, did you also change the little "o" rings?

Good luck.
My car has no clear line, unfortunately. I just pumped fuel from the line that goes directly into the injector - I pumped it until just fuel (as few bubbles as possible) came out of the hose... then reconnected it back up to the injector module.

I changed the o-rings, but I may have put each one in the wrong spot (after looking at the how-to video). Both were black and I assumed them to be identical.

I will go out this evening and try it again. Thanks!

Chris
Old March 7th, 2006, 14:31   #7
dieselgypsy

Default It's Working!!!

Thank you, folks, for your assistance. My wife asked me who she needs to send a cake to!

I called Actron (makers of my OBDII scanner) and asked them if I could have hosed my computer using their product. They told me that the computer rejects the scanner's request to erase codes if the engine is running. In other words, it is highly unlikely.

Therefore, I deduced that it was pure coincidence that the car shut down while the codes were being erased! Just as the car shut down (because of air in the injectors), the scanner requested the fault codes to be deleted. And, tada - you get a mixed up situation!

I came home, and cracked the nuts on each injector just as
the tubing goes into the motor - asked my wife to turn the motor over a few times and diesel squirted out for about 10 seconds or so - I retightened everything and she started right up!

Thanks again!
Old March 7th, 2006, 15:01   #8
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/36/33

Cool - you're running again !

Also good to know knowledge on the Actron - I have the CP9135 myself (useful for GP and TCC errors)..
Rocketchip stage 2
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote