www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 19th, 2011, 15:49   #1486
jwlionking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/38 50000 miles

My apologies, SelectEuroCars is back on the list.

TDI Trusted Mechanics
Drivbiwire's Break-in Rules
jwlionking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:09   #1487
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

I red flagged BadnewsEvo on the Google Map. I will leave him up there for a while so that people know to stay away from Mark-and-Pray timing belt jobs.

Bad news, indeed.

I'm sure all of you share my feelings when I say that the Trusted Mechanics List is exactly that... a list of trusted mechanics within our community. It is important that the folks whom we are endorsing (which is basically what we're doing) live up to the standards that our club membership expects.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; February 20th, 2011 at 11:41.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:10   #1488
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC View Post
I'd like to add my endorsement of Bob Mann...aka Dr Volks in Pembroke, MA. I recently took my 03 Golf TDI to him for a timing belt at 190k. Not only was he reasonably priced, but very thorough in his approach and methods. He found that the intake manifold was almost completely plugged, so he de-carbonized that, too. He was able to accomplish both jobs in 1 day. I live approx 110 miles away in CT, but believe me, it was worth the trip. The car runs better now than when it was new, 7 years ago.
Thanks, Bob. I enjoyed our conversations about CNG conversions and wind-powered home generators.
Can you confirm what methods Bob Mann uses for timing belt changes? Does he have all of the proper tools? VCDS or equivalent?

Thanks!
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:27   #1489
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Regarding Jon's Auto in Marysville, OH...

The previous owner of my Golf had had Jon do a timing belt about 80,000 miles before I got the car. (100k kit, all that fun stuff.)

I decided to get the timing belt done soon after I got the car, after a roller started squeaking.

A BROKEN bolt was reused on the vacuum pump (it wasn't even broken off in the head, a new bolt went in just fine), and one of the engine mount bolts was extremely difficult to loosen, and the threads came out with it... and I noticed there were three washers on it. Wait, what, completely the wrong bolt? Um, what?

This was quite a while ago (three or four years or so?) that this work was done, and a few months ago that the timing belt was replaced and the toofage was discovered, but...

Debated whether to post this one up for a while, but ultimately decided it'd be a good idea. (And, there are two gurus who I personally know DON'T take shortcuts, in Central Ohio, so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 13:23   #1490
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Regarding Jon's Auto in Marysville, OH...

The previous owner of my Golf had had Jon do a timing belt about 80,000 miles before I got the car. (100k kit, all that fun stuff.)

I decided to get the timing belt done soon after I got the car, after a roller started squeaking.

A BROKEN bolt was reused on the vacuum pump (it wasn't even broken off in the head, a new bolt went in just fine), and one of the engine mount bolts was extremely difficult to loosen, and the threads came out with it... and I noticed there were three washers on it. Wait, what, completely the wrong bolt? Um, what?

This was quite a while ago (three or four years or so?) that this work was done, and a few months ago that the timing belt was replaced and the toofage was discovered, but...

Debated whether to post this one up for a while, but ultimately decided it'd be a good idea. (And, there are two gurus who I personally know DON'T take shortcuts, in Central Ohio, so...)
Do you think the PO might have been told about problem and maybe didn't want to wait for parts or etc? Maybe told mechanic to make it good enough to drive (not wanting to wait) and would get it done properly later.I would definitely like to hear the mechanic's side on this one.It's hard to say something negative about a trusted mechanic-i'm experiencing this firsthand now-but members here are making me feel better about posting my situation,so hopefully no one will experience a catastrophic failure from a mark-n-pray in the future.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:19   #1491
Losha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
Do you think the PO might have been told about problem and maybe didn't want to wait for parts or etc? Maybe told mechanic to make it good enough to drive (not wanting to wait) and would get it done properly later.I would definitely like to hear the mechanic's side on this one.It's hard to say something negative about a trusted mechanic-i'm experiencing this firsthand now-but members here are making me feel better about posting my situation,so hopefully no one will experience a catastrophic failure from a mark-n-pray in the future.
I agree with you on that we need to hear the other side of story. I know that myself I had to not once cross the line and get things done sertain ways at sertain situations to get by temperarly. In situations where parts not available or lack of time or customer didn't wanted to spend extra to get job done right. Most of time it was with reusing old bolts on some things to get job done, and it was only due to lack of available parts (not always you can wait few days for dealer to get bolts or parts in), but it was always for temperary period till parts arive.

Malone Tuning Dealer for SD, ND NE, IA, MN
'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID
Losha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:56   #1492
Dean
Veteran Member

Can anyone recommend me a "Trusted" mechanic around the Vancouver BC area?
Looking for a gear-driven BS upgrade and TB in the near future.

Last resort is to drive down to Portland, Oregon. (seems like a few gurus down there?)
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 15:30   #1493
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Lightbulb Vancouver Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Can anyone recommend me a "Trusted" mechanic around the Vancouver BC area?
Looking for a gear-driven BS upgrade and TB in the near future.

Last resort is to drive down to Portland, Oregon. (seems like a few gurus down there?)
http://www.tinyurl.com/tdimap ... zoom in to your location on the map and click on the pins.

Quote:
Canada

VW Petrolero
Vancouver BC
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=10364
Quote:
Andes Auto Service
255 7th Avenue East
Vancouver, BC V5T 1M7
(604) 879-3800
Quote:
Duane's German Autohaus
105-19640 Landmark Way
Langley, BC V3A 7Z5
(604) 533-4502
Quote:
JS Performance #5
30508 Great Northern Ave
Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2T 6H4
(877) 557-7900
www.jsperformance.ca
I would recommend calling some of these shops and doing a bit of homework to ensure that they meet your standards. I'm not sure who is and who isn't familiar with doing a balance shaft upgrade.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:27   #1494
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Hi all, I’m somewhat new to the forums but long time lurker just wanted to say hello everyone
I am a full time tech for Jason at Full Circle Auto in Waitsfield Vermont and I was hoping that a mod could update the contact info for our shop as it is listed incorrectly in the list.

The Correct info is:

Full Circle Auto
4631 Main St
Waitsfield, VT05673

Email: fullcircleauto@gmavt.net

Phone: (802) 496-9236

Thanks in advance and if there is any question feel free to email Jason or call the shop before making the change.. Were there every day but unfortunately he is not on the forum much lately due to us being busy here but I will be around for a while...
Great to finally be on the forum and look forward to getting to know a few other TDIrs Better!!
-Nick

Petroleum Enthusiast
Ifixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:42   #1495
jwlionking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/38 50000 miles

Full Circle info has been edited.

TDI Trusted Mechanics
Drivbiwire's Break-in Rules
jwlionking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:44   #1496
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (501k miles)

I just did a quick search and it appears that a fairly large number of customers have reported good results at Full Circle.

I do not endorse veggie car conversions, but here is the website.
http://www.vtvegcar.com/
'03 Golf with 501k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:30   #1497
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixit View Post
Hi all, Iím somewhat new to the forums but long time lurker just wanted to say hello everyone
I am a full time tech for Jason at Full Circle Auto in Waitsfield Vermont and I was hoping that a mod could update the contact info for our shop as it is listed incorrectly in the list.

The Correct info is:

Full Circle Auto
4631 Main St
Waitsfield, VT05673

Email: fullcircleauto@gmavt.net

Phone: (802) 496-9236

Thanks in advance and if there is any question feel free to email Jason or call the shop before making the change.. Were there every day but unfortunately he is not on the forum much lately due to us being busy here but I will be around for a while...
Great to finally be on the forum and look forward to getting to know a few other TDIrs Better!!
-Nick
Full Circle updated on the map.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:45   #1498
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Updated map info for Nutsnbolts on the map.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:53   #1499
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Thank you!! We only do a few a few veg conversions a year, but mostly focus on vw/audi and TDI repair

Petroleum Enthusiast
Ifixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 15:55   #1500
Jethro Bodine

Fuel Economy: 47-51 - Jetta

There does not appear to be anything at or near Mobile AL. Anyone tried the stealership there?
Jethro Bodine is offline   Reply With Quote