www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 6th, 2006, 17:42   #31
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Jason, can you edit your post to say...

Quote:
1998-2003 New Beetle and 1999.5-2003 Golf and Jetta TDIs

smat2hews, you're correct, BTW. The 1998 and 1999.0 New Beetle are the same as the 1999.5-2003 NB, Golf, and Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 14:41   #32
timeline
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-50

Just had a stall isue today after my timeing belt was done. Could they have screwed something up?
Old July 25th, 2006, 19:56   #33
Franko6

I wish I'd read this before I did an engine swap. Let me warn those who do engine swaps... I've seen this happen another time since I did it on mine...

When you are lifting the engine (or dropping it, whichever...) in place, you might as well remove the anti-shudder valve before attempting to install the engine. What happens is the engine will rock back and hit the firewall, and guess what? The anti-shudder vavle is the first thing to go... the three plastic tabs that hold the vacuum pot in place snap off with extreme ease.

Unless you are looking right at it, you won't notice anything is wrong. Then, when you go to start the car, you get the dreaded start/die problem. Without the plastic fingers holding the vacuum pot in place, the air sucking by the anti-shudder valve closes the valve and kills the engine. Then, without the suction of the engine, the valve opens up, allowing just enough airflow to start the engine again.

But no fear, faithful readers. A zip tie locked the dashpot back into place and the engine fired off like a champ!
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:59   #34
2footbraker
Veteran Member

This sounds exactly what has happened to me a couple times. But I have a 2006 Jetta and can't find the ASV anywhere. Anybody have any idea where it is on A5's? This car only has 5000km on it. Why would the ASV be sticking already, if that is what it is?

2footbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 13:22   #35
joshgb
Veteran Member

2footbraker: I had the same problem on my 04 PD Jetta and I'll tell you how I fixed it...maybe someone else can tell you exactly what I did, because it was an exercise in mild panic and bad reading.
Went to start the car this afternoon and it turned heartily but would not fire. I was in a big hurry, so I ran inside fired up the laptop and hastily scanned the how-to for the asv valve, not noticing the pre-pd caveat. I ran back outside, didn't see the asv where I expected to but saw it (what I think was it) oriented the other direction ( perpindicular to the firewall rather than parallel to it) underneath the big rubber hose between the intercooler and the turbo. It didn't look closed, but was hard to see, so I gently pushed it in and out a couple of times. The engine fired right up.
joshgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 13:28   #36
2footbraker
Veteran Member

Thanks, I will have to look for that when I get the car back. The dealer said the intake flap valve was stuck, which from what I can gather on here, is the A5 equivalent to the pre-PD anti-shudder valve. They replaced it under warranty.

Josh, did your ASV have a rod going into it or was it moved my an electric motor? What part do you move to open/close it? There are no pics on here which show where this valve is on the A5 engine.

2footbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 20:21   #37
joshgb
Veteran Member

Well, again let me be perfectly clear that I am flying blind about this as I have not seen any pics either and haven't had time to really figure out what is going on.(If I have some time tomorrow, maybe I'll endeavour to take a pic and post it.).
On the other hand, I had the very same problem again this afernoon after I posted and fixed it quickly the very same way.

From what I can tell, the place where the asv would have been on a pre-pd has been indeed replaced by a motor (metal housing on the turbo inlet with an electrical pug coming in). But underneath the motor (directly under the turbo housing inlet) there is what looks like the asv (going by the pics at the beginning of Compu 85s how-to) but oriented the other direction. As far as I can tell, it is mechanical...hard to see under there, but there is definitely a mechanical rod protruding from the "asv looking thing" and I don't see any electrical component to it. The rod is what I moved back and forth, pretty much as Compu 85 describes for the pre pd.
Just speculation but I am wondering if perhaps the asv was not exactly replaced on the pd but was augmented with a motorized side to control the functions that Compu 85 refers to, leaving the mechanical asv to control simple on and off.
Again, not precisely sure about any of this yet but it got me down the road and back.

Last edited by joshgb; August 31st, 2006 at 22:29.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:31   #38
Detachable

Same here: 04 Golf. It seems to like to do it after a short ride and restart. I got it going again by pushing on the metal flange of the valve, not the rod. I've been posting here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=149101
trying to get info on what to do about it. I mean I only have 40k, so gunked up, it should not be, yet, it must be sticking, because that is what works. I guess that would be covered under warranty though, but I'm the 3rd owner so...dunno.
Detachable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:42   #39
UnderPressure

My ASV stuck yesterday AM before work. I tried to fire it off twice, but it just wouldn't light. Instead of being late for work, I just drove the wife's TDI for the day.

When I got home from work, the first thing I checked on the NB was the ASV...sure enough it was *almost* completely closed. The same thing happened to another TDI I used to own, but when it stuck on that engine - it cranked over as if it had no compression at all. This engine at least tried to run, but couldn't due to the nearly choked off intake.

Lesson learned: I should have checked the ASV right away and honestly believe it ought to be one of the first things you check if your car won't start.

Matt
UnderPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:54   #40
ycuklordz

Hello ppl,
I own a 2002 2.5l V6 TDI,The other day it cut out and from what i remember reading about this valve on my old 1.9 TDI i figured the same thing happened to my V6 although an entirely different engine,it cut out and wouldnt restart a few moments after firing it up,i believe the V6 has this valve positioned at the rear centre right near the turbo and it has a metal adjustable arm.
I got someone to crank the engine while i levered against the arm and it fired eventually and i aint had any bother yet but will either clean it out myself or get a garage to do it
Just curious if this actually is whats at fault ?
Anyone got any good pics or a good idea about the 2.5L ?
ycuklordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 22:34   #41
joshgb
Veteran Member

Addendum to my last message: my problem turned out to have nothing to do with the ASV (fuel system instead) so I'm afraid my experience was just blind luck....
Old September 14th, 2006, 19:33   #42
heynorton

Fuel Economy: 43-48

This is good info. - Too bad it's not stickied anymore?
Old October 24th, 2006, 21:28   #43
whitedog
Veteran Member

I don't recall many anti-shudder valve problems lately so that means there will probably be a bunch of them soon. Maybe this will put this post near the top of the hit list for a bit.
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:03   #44
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Bump for the coollllldddd!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 13:05   #45
John_M

Thumbs up I had this happen today!

Thanks for the thread, I was sure it was the fuel system gelling. Checked the sender and it looked fine, so checked the boards again. Luckily I found this!
Sure enough, I popped the hood and there was the metal "flag" sticking up! Now if it would just warm up outside so I could take the darn thing out to clean it...