www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 11th, 2006, 21:49   #1
tjl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/52/47 (mpg)
Default Brake pad left/right wear difference (and dealer story)

While a dealer was repairing a loose turbocharger hose, they called me and said that my car needed new rear brakes. Said something about "metal on metal" and "1mm left", "2mm right". Of course, he wanted to sell me new pads and rotors. Knowing the rate of pad wear from previous DIY maintenance, I doubted that the brake pads really were worn out, so I declined.

So now I measure the brake pads just to make sure, and the results are: 8.5mm left, 10mm right (wear limit is 7mm, so 1.5mm remaining on the left, 3mm remaining on the right). At my rate of brake pad wear (about 1mm per 10,000 miles), this is probably 10,000-15,000 miles before the left pad reaches the 7mm limit.

But why would the left rear brake pad wear faster than the right rear brake pad? There does not seem to be any left bias when I use the brakes, and fuel economy has not changed other than due to recent carrying of roof rack cargo (if a brake were dragging, I'd expect fuel economy to get worse).

So what would the explanation be?
tjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:44   #2
spoilsport
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl
While a dealer was repairing a loose turbocharger hose, they called me and said that my car needed new rear brakes. Said something about "metal on metal" and "1mm left", "2mm right". Of course, he wanted to sell me new pads and rotors. Knowing the rate of pad wear from previous DIY maintenance, I doubted that the brake pads really were worn out, so I declined.

So now I measure the brake pads just to make sure, and the results are: 8.5mm left, 10mm right (wear limit is 7mm, so 1.5mm remaining on the left, 3mm remaining on the right). At my rate of brake pad wear (about 1mm per 10,000 miles), this is probably 10,000-15,000 miles before the left pad reaches the 7mm limit.

But why would the left rear brake pad wear faster than the right rear brake pad? There does not seem to be any left bias when I use the brakes, and fuel economy has not changed other than due to recent carrying of roof rack cargo (if a brake were dragging, I'd expect fuel economy to get worse).

So what would the explanation be?
Because they're crooks??

How does the caliper look on the left side? Are the slide pins moving freely?
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:21   #3
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Slider pins are probably not working correctly. Had this same issue on my Jetta. Had to eventually go to the wrecker and pick up a new carrier + pins.. My stock ones were toast after 200K

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:23   #4
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

All the breaks I've changed have worn unevenly slightly. I think its due to driving style and situations. Breaking in corners will require more force on one wheel vs another I think. Just speculating though.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:54   #5
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Heck, that is not enough wear difference to worry about. Just be thankful the dealer did not replace the brakes and do it yourself reasonabally soon. New pads and new rotors. Make sure the caliper sliding surfaces are rust/dirt free and that the pins and boots are in good shape. Your next set may wear evenly if you clean up the sliding surfaces.

Get this, 2 years ago the dealer quoted me $425 to replace rear brake pads and rotors on Mom's 2000 Jetta TDI. For about $120 in parts I did it for her in a couple of hours!