www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 11th, 2006, 12:11   #1
Benjamin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 MPG Jetta, 23 MPG Jeep
Default Speedometer Problem and fix

Well I had this problem start up and go away for a bit and then come back. The speedo would go nuts, all over the range, die for a bit, then if I had my foot on the accelerater and was in the 4000 rpm range it would come back alive. I didn't drive the car much then because I didn't have it plated correctly. Well, got the plates, went on a long road trip (3300 km's), and the problem surfaced and disapered to the point that it was really getting on my nerves. Well I started moving around the Vehicle speed sensor on the transmission and would get the speedo to work, but eventually it would die, taking the cruise with it of course. Eventually it died completely, nothing I could do would fix my problem. I took out the connector, replaced it with 3 individual connectors, took out the battery and cleaned all my grounds, and followed the wires up to the firewall to make sure there were ok. Since all that was pretty much my time only, I figured that I would start there. Next came the vehicle speed sensor, $40 cnd at the stealership, and the fix to my problem. I am only posting because I searched through the forum and could not find this solution to my symptoms. So if your car's speedo is dancing around, dropping to 0 for long periods, fuel guage will go down when accelerating, and the odo and trip odo don't work, try replacing this part first. Part number here in Canada is 191-919-149-E and it ran me about $40.
Hope this helps somebody who might have the same problem. I feared it might be the cluster, but with that being the item with the biggest cost I figured I would do that last.

Benjamin
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 14:13   #2
PicknCrew

Fuel Economy: Avg 42
Default Yes This Works!

I have a 02 Jetta TDI with 92k and I had the same exact symptoms and FIX, so thank you for the post! Speed sensor was only $24 here in the states. I moved the airbox out of the way and was able to get at the sensor at the rear of the engine by the firewall. It was able to unscrew it by hand. The center sensor (vein) was broke in half. I can't understand why it would affect the fuel gauge, but I saw erratic behavior with that too. I'm a happy camper now that it's fixed... thanks again.
PicknCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 21:49   #3
Benjamin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 MPG Jetta, 23 MPG Jeep

It drove me so nuts, especially since I had to do well over 7000 km's in three weeks with cruise only kinda working. I should have mentioned that the vein was worn off on mine, but it kinda slipped my mind. I had to cut mine a little to get it in, but from new I think the small pin/vein is about an inch new, so if yours only a small fraction of that, get a new one, easy fix!

Benjamin
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 22:13   #4
jaime17

Hi, this is the EXACT same problem I'm having. I had some other work done very recently at bugformance in San Jose (timing belt and etc) and in taking it back to them for help they said they'd have to replace the entire cluster. I thought I might get some better guidance here (thanks!).

My question is: WHERE exactly is this part located on my car (automatic, 2002 TDI jetta).

Jaime

Last edited by jaime17; September 9th, 2006 at 16:34.
jaime17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:03   #5
hagar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 & 38

This erratic behaviour is also a symptom of the dreaded coolant migration, so make sure you check for that as well.
2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited(10-19mpg)
1997 Kawasaki ZX11(42-52mpg)
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 19:47   #6
PicknCrew

Fuel Economy: Avg 42

The speed sensor for my 2002 Jetta TDI manual was considered to be the one mounted on the transmission. That's what I told the VW garage when I ordered it. It screws in behind the engine, on top and close to the firewall. Not sure if A/T is the same as manual... Langan VW in Glastonbury, CT had the part in stock and it was only $25.
PicknCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 16:32   #7
jaime17

Ok, I finally got around to fixing my speedometer problem. It was the sensor on the transmission and is now fixed. One of the electrical connectors (prongs) was corroded, and then broke off as I tried to clean it off. A local dealer had the part and it was about $30. So I thought I'd take a few pics since I think it's helpful in case anyone else is having the same issues.
And the part # is: 357 919 149B

I only had to pull off the air filter intake to be able to see where the sensor is- here's a picture of the area (with the intake "hose" removed):

Here's a more closeup view of the sensor, with the wire harness unplugged, but before unscrewing it (sensor is dead center):

Here's a closeup of what it looks like with the sensor removed completely from the transmission (it screws in and out):
jaime17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 16:15   #8
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)
Talking Thanks for posting

This thread has been a great help! Many thanks!
My 2000 Golf speedo began acting crazy just before Thanksgiving - speedo jumping all over the place, no cruise control etc. Very frustrating and stressful since I didn't know just what was failing/had failed. In my case, the amount of 'acting up' by the speedo needle seemed to be dependent on the amount of accelerator pedal I was applying! ie going down hill with a slight amount of braking, the reading appeared to be normal (but who can tell what the correct speed actually is when crazy things have been happening to the speedo) but when accelerator pedal was applied the needle began to jump all over. At interstate cruise speeds [abt 70mph] the needle was consistently pegged at over 140 mph (indicated)!
The engine seemed to run fine with no erratic behavior and NO trouble lights which you might expect from a broken ABS system and it's speed sensors.
I'll get a new part ordered next monday (the nearest stealership is in Portland) and put it in.
Again many thanks for posting this problem/fix.

Edit: 11/25@3:50PM - Fixed problem. Turns out the connector plug had worked it's way loose and fell off in my hand when I was trying to find out just where everything was! There was a blob of black butyl rubber that had been used [by the factory?] to secure the two connector halves together. That rubber got pulled apart when the engine was changed [another story] recently and the rubber prevented the connectors from mating properly when they were reinstalled by the mechanic who did the work. Cleaned up the connectors with electrical degreasing spray, reassembled, and the speedo works fine!! Something IS wrong with the catch on the connectors since it won't "snap" like it should. perhaps that is why the rubber was used in the first place. Many thanks for the pics and info guys.

Last edited by Fourdiesel; November 25th, 2006 at 16:00.
Fourdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 23:57   #9
weasel
Veteran Member

Some German must have built my Mercury. I have a Mystique that has had the exact same symptoms ( even down to the fuel guage going whacky !! ) Guess I'll get a VSS for it someday ...
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:21   #10
capngeo

TDI(s): '00 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 48 MPG highest / 28 MPG lowest

Hmmmmm.... I've got none of the above symptoms, but only a DTC of P1540, which Vag-Com says is the speed sensor.... for $25, I guess I'll switch it out
Old January 5th, 2007, 17:47   #11
capngeo

TDI(s): '00 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 48 MPG highest / 28 MPG lowest

Well..... went to the local stealer, got a part that looked like

Figured from the above I was golden..... but it seems I need

I've got at least 3 possible part numbers, none of which seem to be OEM VW..... any takers on the "Real" part #, so when I go to the stealer Monday, i'll come home with the right part?
Old February 19th, 2007, 14:13   #12
meinsnailen

TDI(s): pending
Default Speedometer - flat

Im searching for an answer as to why my speedometer is not working at all.

I took my recently purchased 92 jetta in for a certy. I had replaced some dash lights, had to disconnect the speedo-cable to get the instrument panel out-hooked everything back up and now the speedometer does not work at all.

I Put a drill on the cable and got a reading inside on panel, its seems the problem is at the transaxle- hookup, is there a trick to the hookup there??

I need to get behind the wheel of this standard.
Anyone have any ideas- could this too be the sensor.

Thanks

AD
meinsnailen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 19:51   #13
dpruth

TDI(s): '99.5 Jetta

I've had the same problems, so would like to replace the VSS, but can't find it anywhere online to buy. I have a 99.5 TDI Jetta 5-speed manual. The only speed sensors I can find are either ABS Sensors or AT Speed Sensors. Does any one know where I can find this?

Is there another name for the VSS?

Last edited by dpruth; March 15th, 2007 at 20:56.
dpruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 16:47   #14
JohnJM

Default VW Jetta Speedometer Repair

I hope this helps someone, because when I was looking for the answer no one posted their fix!

I purchased a 1999 VW Jetta. Speedometer & Tachometer didn't work. Tach sat at zero... speedo "bounced" on zero. Odometer, cruise control, and all other gauges worked fine.

I removed the instrument cluster. It's really simple, a couple of plastic covers, the light switch, and four screws. It was MUCH easier than removing the gauges from my F150!

I found DNA Speedometers by searching the internet. They're in Tamp, FL. I packaged the gauges and shipped it allong with a check for $129. Turn around time was GREAT! The received it, fixed it, shipped it back. That's it. I didn't have to call or send nasty emails... nothing. They litterally turned it around in one day! Round trip took a whole week... that's UPS ground!

When it arrived I installed it and took it for a test drive. It worked like a champ. They even replaced the blown bulb in it. DNA Speedometers even garauntees their work for six months!

There are other places on the internet that repair speedos... I went with this one and had a GREAT experience.

(Posted 6/26/2008)
JohnJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:25   #15
MaddieBrad

TDI(s): Golf

Hey there!

I signed up for this forum just to post up on this thread. I have a 2003 VW Golf that has some of the problems listed here. I should add that I am in the UK, (not sure if it makes a diff or not!)

Anyway... It all started with the speedo doing the bouncing thing that everyone seems to talk about. It started gradually... it used to be that at first it would only bounce when i decelerated. SO when i was accelerating it worked properly... then when i pressed in the clutch and the engine revs dropped the speedo would drop down and then when I let the clutch back in it would bounce a bit then settle once at speed. Eventually the speedo just stopped working. Also the gas gauge seems to have been affected somehow. when standing still the gauge works properly... but if I go around a corner, or over a big bump then the gas gauge light comes on and it beeps. It gets sooooo annoying! If I fill the gas tank up all the way to the top it doesn't beep, but the gauge still drops down.

I brought the car to a couple different repair places and they were unable to diagnose the problem. They were however able to hook up the dash cluster to their computer and make each component work on the cluster. The VW dealer told me that it was my dash cluster that was defective. When I told the other repair centers that VW said that it was the dash cluster they said that they didn't think that it was possible as they were able to test each component on the dash cluster and they all worked!

Any advice that anyone can give me would be realllllly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad
MaddieBrad is offline   Reply With Quote