www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 17th, 2005, 14:38   #1
Griffen_01

Default Door locked with key in ignition

My wife was just dropping off her Mother and had left the key in the ignition with the car running (04 jetta/tdi).
When she got back the door's had locked on her. I had to go with the spare key and unlock it . The thing being is I had to use the key to unlock it as the fob would not work until the ignition key was pulled out. Every thing seem's to be ok now. I could not get it to happen again. Anybody have any ideas on this? I know there should be no way that the door should lock with the key in the ignition and the car running.
Griffen_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 16:51   #2
PeeWee
Veteran Member

The door will lock with the key in the ignition and the car running. It does automatically when you hit about 13 kph. It will also lock if you hit the button accidentally on exiting the vehicle. By button I am refering to the one on the top rear corner at the bottom of the window. You can also lock the door by hitting the button on the arm rest. It was likely an innocent error and not the evil car syndrome.
97 Passat Sedan
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 16:56   #3
lildevildee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: don't know yet

I'd like to live in a place where I could just leave my key in the car and not have my car stolen; let alone leave my key in the car with the car running!
Old December 18th, 2005, 21:23   #4
Btravelen
Veteran Member

I can't push hard enough on the 'button' to lock mine with the key in the ignition or not. I have to use the remote to lock it all the time as the lock button won't even do it. Is this a VagCom correctable issue?

'05 Ford Excursion Limited, 6.0L PSD, Air Lifts, Bilsteins, High idle mod.
Btravelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:34   #5
rickdick80
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45.4 / 41.4 / 38.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen_01
My wife was just dropping off her Mother and had left the key in the ignition with the car running (04 jetta/tdi).
When she got back the door's had locked on her. I had to go with the spare key and unlock it . The thing being is I had to use the key to unlock it as the fob would not work until the ignition key was pulled out. Every thing seem's to be ok now. I could not get it to happen again. Anybody have any ideas on this? I know there should be no way that the door should lock with the key in the ignition and the car running.
Sorry, I have no answer to your question, but I can share my experience. With the cold weather here I've been leaving my car idling while I run into the store or whatever. This is what I've noticed so far:

1) With the car running, the key fob does not work at all. It won't lock or unlock the doors, and won't unlock the trunk.

2) Regardless of whether the key is in the ignition, if you open the driver door and hit the power lock button on the armrest near the window switches, all doors EXCEPT the driver door will lock.

3) The only way I've found to lock the doors with a door open is if you keep the driver door shut, hit the power lock button on the PASSENGER door, and then shut the door.

4) To lock the car while it is running, I obviously have one key in the ignition, but then use another key to lock it using the exterior door lock.

The only way I can think your situation happened is that your wife left the car running, got out of the drivers side, shut the driver door, went to the passenger side where your mother in law sat, opened the door, bumped the power lock button with the passenger door open, then shut the door after mom-in-law was out. I'll have to try this after I get off work today.

Maybe run that scenario by her and see if it is possible that's what happened?
1974 Fiat X1/9--The lime green love machine. It's for sale, inquire within.
rickdick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 14:03   #6
Griffen_01

I think that is exactly what happened . We spent a little time experimenting and came up with the exact same result as you. Thanks to all that responded.
Griffen_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 08:55   #7
rickdick80
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45.4 / 41.4 / 38.7

Yep, about five minutes after I posted that I confirmed that it is possible to lock your keys in the car that way. Merry Christmas!
1974 Fiat X1/9--The lime green love machine. It's for sale, inquire within.
rickdick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:04   #8
cpermd
Veteran Member

Default If you don't have another key

The cheapest solution is to have a "On the spot glass Co" take out the Windshield and then replace it once you get the key out.

CP
00 Jetta TDI and 01 NB TDI-Daughters'
cpermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:43   #9
XJCoupe

Default Another possibility

Apparently, the solder joints on the lock module can fail, causing intermittent locking problems. Check out this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=116323

As a side note, I noticed that the car automatically relocks itself after 30 sec., if no doors have been opened. Presumably this is a security feature, in case you accidentally hit 'unlock' on the key fob while still in range. I guess if the door switch was faulty, the car might do this even if the door was opened. Kinda freaked me out, because I had just used VAG-COM to disable auto-lock, selective unlocking and the horn-on-lock "feature", and thought I'd really screwed something up!

Cheers!

XJCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 10:27   #10
BudsBug
Veteran Member

I can't lock my door without a key or fob except from the passenger door that has no lock cylinder. BTW I would have paid to get a passenger side key available it is strange no to be able to open from that side with a dead remote but key in hand. If you really look at it I think we are supposed to get be able to get in from the passenger side for safety reasons so I am surprised that VW got away with that one.
BudsBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 00:31   #11
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Sorry, I have no answer to your question, but I can share my experience. With the cold weather here I've been leaving my car idling while I run into the store or whatever. This is what I've noticed so far
you can get a heavy ticket in MD for leaving your keys ANYWHERE ANYTIME.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:13   #12
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpermd
The cheapest solution is to have a "On the spot glass Co" take out the Windshield and then replace it once you get the key out.

CP
Jimmy the door with a wedge of wood (which BTW won't set the alarm off if for some reason you have locked the keys in the car) get a coat hanger etc and pop the drivers side door open via the handle..

No need to do anything drastic...

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:07   #13
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevildee
I'd like to live in a place where I could just leave my key in the car and not have my car stolen; let alone leave my key in the car with the car running!
I have friends in Iqaluit, Nunavut...

(However, it's a bit chilly there...)

Yuri.
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:02   #14
DaveGaunt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60+MPG

Right, the fob does not work if key in ignition.

Also right that doors will lock ~30 sec. after door unlocked if no doors opened.

However, if your Dr door logic switch that tells the ECU that the door has been opened has failed (common it seems) the computer doesn't know someone is in the car and will lock the doors. Now, in MY car at least, if you insert the key into the ignition, i guess the computer figures someone got in somehow (in absence of a signal from the Dr. Door) and disables the re-lock proceedure so, this doen't explain why the door locked with the key in the ignition unless the knocking the switch scenario was at work, seems most likely to me, but you will probably never know.
1989 GMC Van appliance
DaveGaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:14   #15
fase2000TDI

Fuel Economy: 52, 45 38

I'd call a priest and get it washed in holywater.
fase2000TDI is offline   Reply With Quote