Engine washing

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
One of the best things you can do for your TDI is to wash the engine and engine compartment. I mention this for the simple fact that it (eng. washing) should become part of regular general maintenace.

Of all the TDI's that I've seen, one of the primary causes of component failure is galvanic corrosion. Issues of poor electrical grounds, faulty sensors, badly corroded fuel lines, the list is broad in scope and most of these problems could have been easily prevented.

I recommend your local car wash facility because they have a grease trap and this keeps automotive contaminates contained.
Use only the regular "SOAP" setting. I don't recommend using any engine cleaner since the type and content of the solvent is unknown and may have a negative reaction to the alloyes used in the engine /tranny.
Also equally important use only one (1) wash cycle or four (4) minutes. Using the wash for a longer period and you risk getting water where you shouldn't. So please.....use only the minimum wash time.
Having said that here is a few pointers on the "How To":
1. The engine is turned off
2. The ignition key removed
3. Engine cover removed
4. Keep the tip of the wash wand about 12" from any surface. Any further away and the only thing you'll do is to get things wet and not very clean.
Don't get the tip of the want much closer than 12" either...or you risk forcing water where you shouldn't.

There is no need to cover the alternator. A simple wash will not harm anything in the engine compartment.

The reasons for washing your engine is more than "looks good".
Never open your engine with a dirty engine compartment. You've invested a lot of $$ on high quality oil & filters.
Working on a dirty engine makes things more difficault
Diagnosing malfunctions on a dirty engine is more time comsuming
Tracing fluid leaks on a dirty engine is nearly pointless

But the primary reason (for washing your engine) is corrosion prevention. I would recommend washing your engine twice a year. Once in early spring after the "salt" season and again in late summer or early autumn.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Amen. A clean engine is a happy engine. I even cleaned the underside of my transmission and engine the last time I was down there :eek:

Un-named club member at last gtg:

"Huh, I bet you even clean the door jams when you wash the car."

Me (giving strange look):

"What reason is there not to?"

Also, cleanliness is the single most powerful diagnostic for tracking down a leak source of any kind.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Also, cleanliness is the single most powerful diagnostic for tracking down a leak source of any kind.
I disagree completely. the dirt and the clean track through the dirt is the single most powerful diagnostic for tracking down a leak source of any kind. The clean track will point right to where it is coming from.

After you have a good idea of it's location, that is when you can go in and clean so that you can pinpoint the leak.

Other than that, I concur.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Ok, given that you work on a LOT more leaking and non-leaking equipment than I do, and are (in general) more greasy and dirty than I, I guess you're right ;)

So do you advocate keeping the upper half clean and the lower half dirty?

^^^Don't miss this one-time only rich joke opportunity:D It better be good;) ^^^

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I'm sure Tim keeps his upper half dirty also.:p

At least that's the impression I get from talking to him....:eek::eek:

Don't let that seemingly unassuming exterior fool you!

:DKeli

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Keli_OR said:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

What would we stare at at the next gtg? :(

Tiiiiiiiiim

Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo dip doo dah dah doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
dip dah dah dah dip dip dip don

^^Jeopardy theme Muzak= we're waaaaaaaaaaaiting. Must be a corker.^^

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Aw shucks Nick,

You know my ultimate goal in life is to be..... decorative!:rolleyes:

That's why I stand around and ask all you big strong guys to do all of the work for me.:eek:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Thom said:
Simple Green works wonders in the engine compartment.
Be careful with the Simple Green. If you do not dilute it or rinse it off completely it is quite capable of stripping anodizing off of aluminum! :eek: (Don't ask me how I know this... :()

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Thom said:
Simple Green works wonders in the engine compartment.
I put it on in pure form, but rinse it within a minute and the engine sparkles:) :D But i have seen what it can do to Aluminum if left on too long :eek:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I put some aluminum foil over the brake fluid reservoir cap to keep any moisture from getting in the brake fluid when I wash off the road salt in the engine bay on my cars. Some cars have a vent in the brake fluid cap, so its real important to do this on some models. I have to check the TDI and see if its cap is vented.

--Nate

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Occams_Razor said:
Be careful with the Simple Green. If you do not dilute it or rinse it off completely it is quite capable of stripping anodizing off of aluminum! :eek: (Don't ask me how I know this... :()
Don't use it.

I wash a LOT of my customer engines as I HATE working on a POS that is filthy. Some have leaked oil for so long you can't even tell where it's coming from. Just clean it, top and bottom and then you can actually tell. Some common sense for cleaning also tells you don't spray directly into wiring connections.

jasonTDI

TDI
PDJetta said:
I put some aluminum foil over the brake fluid reservoir cap to keep any moisture from getting in the brake fluid when I wash off the road salt in the engine bay on my cars. Some cars have a vent in the brake fluid cap, so its real important to do this on some models. I have to check the TDI and see if its cap is vented.

--Nate

sealed.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

(Simple Green should never be used on un-coated aluminum...search on hydrogen embrittlement ;) )

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
Connectors? 'Waterproof' against road splash but not washer splash? 12VDC isn't going to cause much current flow in a wet connector, apparently not even salty water from a salted road. I've never heard anyone being cautioned to work in auto electrics with dry hands. I'd be careful around semiconductors - there are more than ever - but beyond that most damage will be mechanical from the blast and not electrical.

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet
you may wash my engine if you like-but the plastic covers hide the gunk on mine-so out of sight out of mind--and I don't mind!

AlbanyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12vdc might not seem like much mixed with water, but galvanic corrosion is a very bad thing (talk to any experienced boater, loose 12vdc will make quite the mess out of anything metal, especially aluminum that is exposed to the current under water). DC is actually way worse when it comes to galvanic corrosion than AC.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Let's say someone drove through a flodded road, and got mud on the sound pad attached to the hood. What's the best way to clean that? When you get it wet it comes apart, right?

-J

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Hose it off and dry it w/ a towel. I do that to my engine hood sound absorber occassionally.

--Nate

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I agree Herm. I clean my engine bay 2 to 3 times a year at the self service car wash. One thing I do is hit it with a citrus degreaser. It helps cut thru the dirt faster. Also, when applying the soap solution, I keep 12 to 24" away and NEVER pull the trigger on the wand. At that range, pulling the trigger on the pressure washer would definately force H2O into places it shouldnt be. Then, when I rinse, I stand back and spray the pressure washer at FULL BLAST, but keep the wand back about 6 feet. That way, I get the volume of water I need to rinse, but the force is greatly diminished.

Best of all, a clean engine is such a pleasure to work on. Its always a dissappointment when I arrive at someones garage to do a timing belt, and the engine is filthy. I dont care about the passenger compartment, but come on folks, clean your engines!

jasonTDI

TDI
O.P. Said it too! Clean that engine. Nothing nastier than a dirty engine to work on.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
jasonTDI said:
O.P. Said it too! Clean that engine. Nothing nastier than a dirty engine to work on.
Hmmm and guess what I get to do tomorrow? Only it will be dirtier than anything in a car. From the report of the truck driver, I don't dare try to drive it to the washrack for fear of the engine siezing before I get it in my bay.

Only not as clean.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the truck driver park it right in front of my bay since I already have one tractor in there. If it died, since the Park Brake is Spring applied, Hydraulically released, there is a hose to pressure up with a portapower to release the brake.

Then I would push it in. I have mondo legs. :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
oldpoopie said:
when applying the soap solution, I keep 12 to 24" away and NEVER pull the trigger on the wand. At that range, pulling the trigger on the pressure washer would definately force H2O into places it shouldnt be. Then, when I rinse, I stand back and spray the pressure washer at FULL BLAST, but keep the wand back about 6 feet. That way, I get the volume of water I need to rinse, but the force is greatly diminished.
That is exactly what I do.

TDI
Golf, 2002, , blue
I have used WD40 as a engine cleaner with excelent results. Armor All takes care of the rubber parts. This is done every 10K. Simple green is too harsh on aluminum IMO. If water gets in the clutch it could stick and gear grinding will result for a few days.

jasonTDI

TDI
Use a different product like Lexol's Vinylex on the engine. Armor All strips the polymers out of plastic and rubber.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Herm TDI said:
One of the best things you can do for your TDI is to wash the engine and engine compartment. I mention this for the simple fact that it (eng. washing) should become part of regular general maintenace.

Of all the TDI's that I've seen, one of the primary causes of component failure is galvanic corrosion. Issues of poor electrical grounds, faulty sensors, badly corroded fuel lines, the list is broad in scope and most of these problems could have been easily prevented.

I recommend your local car wash facility because they have a grease trap and this keeps automotive contaminates contained.
Use only the regular "SOAP" setting. I don't recommend using any engine cleaner since the type and content of the solvent is unknown and may have a negative reaction to the alloyes used in the engine /tranny.
Also equally important use only one (1) wash cycle or four (4) minutes. Using the wash for a longer period and you risk getting water where you shouldn't. So please.....use only the minimum wash time.
Having said that here is a few pointers on the "How To":
1. The engine is turned off
2. The ignition key removed
3. Engine cover removed
4. Keep the tip of the wash wand about 12" from any surface. Any further away and the only thing you'll do is to get things wet and not very clean.
Don't get the tip of the want much closer than 12" either...or you risk forcing water where you shouldn't.

There is no need to cover the alternator. A simple wash will not harm anything in the engine compartment.

The reasons for washing your engine is more than "looks good".
Never open your engine with a dirty engine compartment. You've invested a lot of $$ on high quality oil & filters.
Working on a dirty engine makes things more difficault
Diagnosing malfunctions on a dirty engine is more time comsuming
Tracing fluid leaks on a dirty engine is nearly pointless

But the primary reason (for washing your engine) is corrosion prevention. I would recommend washing your engine twice a year. Once in early spring after the "salt" season and again in late summer or early autumn.
I agree 100%. I've washed mine a couple of times per your instructions. You saw the result when we did the 2nd TB change at 160k miles on my 02 Golf. It was SOOOOO much easier to do the TB change on a freshly washed engine! It was like working on a brand new car that just rolled off the production line. :cool:

I recommend doing an engine and engine compartment wash before doing any major work on your TDI, such as a timing belt change, intake cleaning, turbo upgrade/replacement, clutch upgrade, etc.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I recommend doing an engine and engine compartment wash before doing any major work on your TDI, such as a timing belt change, intake cleaning, turbo upgrade/replacement, clutch upgrade, etc.
I agree with this. I just wish reality was like that at work. After disassembling this engine, I'm glad I didn't take the time to drive it to the wash rack because it may not have made it into my bay. The bearings were ready to sieze at anytime.