www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old December 10th, 2005, 15:16   #1
ninedee_golf_tdi

Default 96 1z glx code 0741-27-10 brake pedal monitoring

This is the tdi drivetrain into a glx chassis project. I got the abs issue resolved, now can't get the ecu to recognize the brake pedal has been depressed. Measuring Block 6 "brake pedal" (f/f47/f36) window can change from 1 1 1 to 0 0 1 but never 0 0 0, causing an implausible signal. So the clutch and brake light switches work, just not the brake pedal monitor switch (f36) The switch itself ohmed OK, yes, the brake lights work. Any idea where the ecu obtains the f36 switch signal, or ideas where I might have rewired things incorrectly, or anything I'm overlooking ? Thanks for the ideas.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 20:04   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

I believe both of those switches are built into the brake pedal switch.

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 03:42   #3
ninedee_golf_tdi

They are two different switches, or at least, my brake pedal has two switches on it, both 2 wire, the clutch has one switch as well. They have different part numbers. I'm thinking that there must be a single wire tap coming out of the relay panel that I dont have connected properly, or I'm using the wrong harness from the tdi. I checked for voltage on all the loose wires/connectors when I applied the brakes, didnt find any though. Another gremlin.
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:59   #4
ninedee_golf_tdi

I'm getting closer. The glx uses vacuum vents to disconnect the cruise control, I guess the tdi just uses good old 12volts via the control module as the switches do not have vacuum ports. The cruise control modules have the same part number (??). Now the problem I have is that it looks like I have some of the glx wiring, and some of the tdi wiring mixed in. I can't find a wiring diagram for the cruise control circuit for a tdi in Bentley. Can anyone provide a link to that diagram ? Maybe another option is to try to find a vacuum source in the tdi engine to supply vacuum to the glx cruise system. Any thoughts on that, i.e. can the tdi vacuum pump supply enough vacuum? Since the throttle pedals are different, how could I overcome not having an attaching bracket for the vacuum diaphram if I tried to go the glx parts route ? That seems to be the biggest gotcha. Thanks.
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:05   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Cruse in the TDI is totally handeled by the ECU. There is no seperate cruse 'controoler'. You just run the wires from the cruse switch into the ECU.

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
Old December 11th, 2005, 13:54   #6
ninedee_golf_tdi

Ok... so I'm a dunce... what I thought might have been the cruise module was probably the anti-theft module. I found a wiring diagram in Bentley X173 no. 29/3, but that still lists the switches as "vent valve switch". Perhaps that is just old terminology ? The problem is with the brake light switch circuit.. In that no. 29/3 diagram, F1 (brake light switch) has 3 connections, J104 (abs control module), T1a (to the ecu), and M9 (left brake light). Since the brake lights work, and the abs light is now out, think the problem could be an open circuit between F1 and T1a ? The actual pin out looks like a defect between W/4 and T68/44. Or am I guessing wrong ?
Old December 12th, 2005, 14:36   #7
ninedee_golf_tdi

That was the problem. I had to transplant a wire from the tdi connector to the glx connector. Poof, no more warning lights lit, and only one light left to get lit, which is to get the glow plug light working in the glx cluster.
Old December 12th, 2005, 18:09   #8
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Cool!
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:50   #9
ninedee_golf_tdi

For historical purposes: I just did another glx/tdi swap and had this same problem again. The jumper (black/red) from w4 (green six pin auxiliary connector) has a green single male connector on it, and that connector connects to one of two matching female green connectors. If one doesn't work, try the other one. That was my solution in both cases.

Last edited by ninedee_golf_tdi; November 13th, 2009 at 16:07.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:37   #10
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Koo-ell. This might be what I need to get the Cabrio's cruise to work. I have one of those three "brake switch" signals constantly made, thus leaving the cruise control unable to activate because the ECU thinks the brakes are applied.

f.w.i.w.: My white GLX to TDI B4 didn't have this issue.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:57   #11
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Yup.

I had to do some work on my B4V GLX TDI to get channel 006 to be happy. I forget the details but it was an hour or two in the fusebox area with wiring diagrams and VCDS...

I remember a 4 pin harness and an extension that went to the old VR6 cruise module. I also vaguely remember dealing with the back of the fusebox too.

The thing that bothered me the most was with channel 006 reading incorrectly the RPM's hang between shifts slightly and shutter was more pronounced, you can't go into closed loop operation when 006 is out of whack...
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote