www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old December 13th, 2005, 15:29   #31
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

Good plan VR.

What we do about drafting and what speed would we maintain. I went to the Mich Fest on one tank, and the convoy was a little sloppy, everybody has there own comfort zone. How about cutting down in IL on 39 to miss most of the traffic.
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 15:33   #32
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

anyone have experience installing a DG ultra shifter in an MkIV? i had trouble getting it installed - well, mrchill and a few others had trouble installing it for me, i was just watching and trying to help where i could, but we couldn't get it in. i first need to verify with jim that i do in fact have the correct part. but i would like to get it installed sometime this winter...
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi
burpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 18:31   #33
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamjohnson
Good plan VR.

What we do about drafting and what speed would we maintain. I went to the Mich Fest on one tank, and the convoy was a little sloppy, everybody has there own comfort zone. How about cutting down in IL on 39 to miss most of the traffic.
That's a possibility. I've only used I-39 as far as I-88, and that was to detour around an accident that was blocking the road at the Marengo toll plaza.

I'd have to compute the distances and find out what services are along the way.
Old December 13th, 2005, 22:51   #34
Route 66
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 VW

VR your route looks complete and services should not be a problem unless you know something the rest of us do not.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 04:40   #35
vikingrob
Veteran Member

The fact is that I am more familiar with the I-90/I-294 route than the I-39/I-80 route. The I-39/I-80 route is about 44 miles longer and also has a few sharp bends and a 45 mph speed limit through parts of Joliet.

There is a rest area on I-39 a bit south of I-88 that could be used as a check-in point. The Belvidere check-in point is the service area just east of the second toll plaza.

(FYI, the Illinois Tollway is reconstructing all of its mainline toll plazas during 2005-06 to allow tolls to be paid electronically at highway speed. The Belvidere plaza is slated to become a one-way toll collected westbound only. I have one of their transponders, which also work in Pennsylvania. Indiana and Ohio do not currently use electronic toll collection.)
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:25   #36
Route 66
Veteran Member

You may have to wait for the rest of the caravan to pay the old way.
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:24   #37
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm
You may have to wait for the rest of the caravan to pay the old way.
True. However, I will continue driving until reaching the designated stop.
We would be gapped by two toll plazas at Belvidere under the current setup and another six by the time we reach northwest Indiana. However, the stop in northwestern IN is before the first toll plaza we would hit in Indiana, and I generally did not have to wait more than maybe 30 seconds at either of the two westernmost toll plazas in Pennsylvania (pay $1.50 immediately on entering PA, enter ticket system just east of I-79). For exiting the Pennsylvania Turnpike, it won't matter for the competition, since it will end at a service area.

Perhaps we should put this in a new thread....

Last edited by vikingrob; December 14th, 2005 at 09:43.
vikingrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 14:49   #38
KomarekTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/47/43

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpod
anyone have experience installing a DG ultra shifter in an MkIV? i had trouble getting it installed - well, mrchill and a few others had trouble installing it for me, i was just watching and trying to help where i could, but we couldn't get it in. i first need to verify with jim that i do in fact have the correct part. but i would like to get it installed sometime this winter...
Sure, I thought this installation was a snap! I even did it while on crutches and a cast from my toes up to my knee last winter. What sort of problems are you having? The only part that gave me any resistance was popping the counterweight off.
Old December 14th, 2005, 14:59   #39
KomarekTDI
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingrob
True. However, I will continue driving until reaching the designated stop.
That's funny - you just don't want to go through the additional slow-down / speed-up cycles that will hurt your mileage eh?.... This way everyone will come out of the toll booths a little bit hot so they can catch up to you (using even more fuel) - another nice little trick.

IPass is great - you can order your transponders online for those of you who need every last little competitive advantage in you mileage competition.

You guys crack me up...
Old December 14th, 2005, 19:12   #40
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomarekTDI
That's funny - you just don't want to go through the additional slow-down / speed-up cycles that will hurt your mileage eh?.... This way everyone will come out of the toll booths a little bit hot so they can catch up to you (using even more fuel) - another nice little trick.
Well, at least they are not as severe of slow-down/speed-up cycles.

Old December 14th, 2005, 19:28   #41
Route 66
Veteran Member

If I end up in this caravan my mileage is the least of my worries. avoiding traffic and the jams are what my objective will be.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:02   #42
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

komarek, did you install the race or the ultra shifter? i've got the ultra, i know the race is a bit different. when i go home for the holidays i will take pics of the kit i have, send them to jim, to make sure i have the correct part, then let you know... the problem we had, if i remember, is when trying to adjust it, the cable kept popping out...
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi
burpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:41   #43
KomarekTDI
Veteran Member

Default DG Shifter

I installed the Race shifter, then upgraded to the Ultra shifter as soon as that one came out. The only difference was the billet cable end for the fore/aft shift cable. So which cable was "popping out"? Were you guys following the directions (probably a stupid question but had to ask). I'm not quite sure how you the cable was popping out while you were adjusting it since there should be zero tension in the cable when you have the adjustment pin pulled up on the trans, and the hi-tech nail inserted in the shifter. In case you bought the shifter second hand and do not have instructions, they are still available on the dieselgeek website in the install guides section. I'd be glad to install it for you - just let me know when you'd like to do it. It's a piece of cake.

One more thing... If you want to compare the parts you have to what you are supposed to have - check out the install guides on the dieselgeek website. There are quite a few pictures that show the parts you should have received.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:55   #44
tango_28
Veteran Member

I see a lot of TDIs at Afton ski Resort, I wonder if they ever vist this site.
Old December 27th, 2005, 13:33   #45
somepunk22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango_28
I see a lot of TDIs at Afton ski Resort, I wonder if they ever vist this site.
My black golf was there last friday. I've spotted my twin golf at hyland a couple times.
somepunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote