www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old February 7th, 2011, 10:50   #3556
Leppy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig View Post
I wish I had a LSD.

Gosh yes.

TB tools, parts washer, garage space
willing to help on all projects
Leppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:33   #3557
JFettig

TDI(s): B5 Passat

I've got a fun project ahead of me. I towed a 2002 Jetta TDI with a toast belt last night(the one listed on the classifieds). I think I got a pretty decent deal on it too. Now to collect some timing belt tools. I got the tripple square bits ordered to pull the head and send it out. Does anyone locally do these heads or is my only good option Frank06?

Jon
ECU Socketing
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:58   #3558
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (505k miles)

Quote:
I've got a fun project ahead of me. I towed a 2002 Jetta TDI with a toast belt last night(the one listed on the classifieds). I think I got a pretty decent deal on it too. Now to collect some timing belt tools. I got the tripple square bits ordered to pull the head and send it out. Does anyone locally do these heads or is my only good option Frank06?
I have been to Frank's shop down by Joplin, MO, and was greatly impressed by the quality of the equipment he uses and the care that he takes with each and every cylinder head. If there is even the slightest possibility that valves have kissed pistons, or only the slightest sign of a flawed cam lobe, then he replaces them with only the highest quality replacement parts.

I am not saying other people cannot perform work to the same high standard -- only that not everyone else does. Frank has carved out a niche for himself, by doing one thing extremely well. His rates are very reasonable, and I do not recall ever hearing of one of his rebuilt heads being returned to him because a problem with the parts or workmanship.

BTW, that is Franko6.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=31923
'03 Golf with 505k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:04   #3559
JFettig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
I have been to Frank's shop down by Joplin, MO, and was greatly impressed by the quality of the equipment he uses and the care that he takes with each and every cylinder head. If there is even the slightest possibility that valves have kissed pistons, or only the slightest sign of a flawed cam lobe, then he replaces them with only the highest quality replacement parts.

I am not saying other people cannot perform work to the same high standard -- only that not everyone else does. Frank has carved out a niche for himself, by doing one thing extremely well. His rates are very reasonable, and I do not recall ever hearing of one of his rebuilt heads being returned to him because a problem with the parts or workmanship.

BTW, that is Franko6.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=31923
I am well aware of all this(spelling aside), I bought my T4 nozzles(balanced) from him. A friend is getting me the name of a local shop that he has a friend who works for and is confident in, I'll see if Nick or anyone else has heard of the shop and knows anything about them before going that direction. Right now I'm leaning toward Frank.

Jon
ECU Socketing
Old February 10th, 2011, 14:28   #3560
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Quote:
I am well aware of all this(spelling aside), I bought my T4 nozzles(balanced) from him. A friend is getting me the name of a local shop that he has a friend who works for and is confident in, I'll see if Nick or anyone else has heard of the shop and knows anything about them before going that direction. Right now I'm leaning toward Frank.

Jon
I don't know of anyone locally, and I can definitely tell you where NOT to go. I had a very bad experience with Import Engine Parts, they are west of downtown Minneapolis. They rebuilt a head for me 3 years ago, it lasted about 40 miles before the cam snapped into 2 pieces because of their shoddy work. They are also very overpriced. Even though they have admitted fault, I have yet to get one red cent out of them. I would never recommend them to anybody.

I ended up going with Frank, couldn't be happier with his work and the service that he provides after the sale.

BTW, do you mind if I ask what you ended up paying for the car? I was looking at it, but was only interested if I could get it for $500 considering its apparent lack of maintenance and automatic trans.

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

Last edited by TDICADDGUY; February 10th, 2011 at 14:33.
TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 15:27   #3561
isonic
Veteran Member

Jon, I forbid you to send the head to Frank. He is already too busy and I have been waiting too long for my injectors . Unless of course you can get my injectors done at the same time, then it is cool!

Also, what is the operating psi of the oil? I am looking to get a oil pressure gauge for my car and they are offered in two ranges, either 0-80 or 0-150psi. I figured the 0-80 would be good but I wanted to ask first.
SBC Stg II Endurance, EGR Delete, R520, VNT17/22, 2.5" DP, 3 Bar MAP, Malone Stg 5, 1.8T Pancake Pipe, 2.5" TIP, EuroJet SMIC, Stg 2 Cam, BFI Motor Mounts, Panzer Skid Plate, 288mm brakes, Koni Coils, boost/EGT/Oil pressure gauges.

Last edited by isonic; February 12th, 2011 at 15:30.
isonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 15:45   #3562
JFettig

I wonder if we send him a set of injectors, if he'd get it done quicker? I can live without injectors in that car until the head is done... Is he back from vacation yet? If so, call him and ask.

Jon
ECU Socketing
Old February 12th, 2011, 16:03   #3563
isonic
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wonder if we send him a set of injectors, if he'd get it done quicker? I can live without injectors in that car until the head is done... Is he back from vacation yet? If so, call him and ask.

Jon
After we got done talking last week I actually had this same thought. I will give him a call on Monday and see what he says about that idea. I think that he might be back already. I think he was gone last week.
SBC Stg II Endurance, EGR Delete, R520, VNT17/22, 2.5" DP, 3 Bar MAP, Malone Stg 5, 1.8T Pancake Pipe, 2.5" TIP, EuroJet SMIC, Stg 2 Cam, BFI Motor Mounts, Panzer Skid Plate, 288mm brakes, Koni Coils, boost/EGT/Oil pressure gauges.
isonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 17:22   #3564
JFettig

let me know if you find that he's back, I need to call as well if he doesn't reply to my e-mail anytime soon.

Jon
ECU Socketing
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:51   #3565
TurboM700
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 VW Golf

Quote:
let me know if you find that he's back, I need to call as well if he doesn't reply to my e-mail anytime soon.

Jon
Try HeadWerkz in bloomington. When I worked on cars we sent alot of our import heads there. They do great work and speicial in german cars.

http://www.headwerks.com/
TurboM700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:34   #3566
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

Maybe we can get a group rate on injectors, I have a set in my glovebox that need to be balanced....

Maybe I need to drive down on Monday...
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:43   #3567
JasonCzerak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

I wouldn't mind having mine gone though and made a touch bigger.
Ram Boyz Trux -n- Toyz
JasonCzerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:00   #3568
TurboM700
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 VW Golf

I wouldnt mine also having mine gone thru and made bigger. With 250,000 miles on them i'm sure there less then perfect. Down time is going to be big thing for me.

Mike
TurboM700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:21   #3569
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM700 View Post
Try HeadWerkz in bloomington. When I worked on cars we sent alot of our import heads there. They do great work and speicial in german cars.

http://www.headwerks.com/
v8 coupe works there. I have no feedback for the shop though as I send all my head work to Frank.

Sam - I'd be up for a road trip but I doubt being there is going to help him get things done faster.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 19:40   #3570
JFettig

Its bad when this happens right?

Does anyone have an injector slide hammer I could borrow briefly?
ECU Socketing