MN Chat Thread

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That's too bad Pete, you could try either a g60/VR6 setup or SBC stage 2 endurance. Make sure you get the proper VR6 clutch as one brand holds more torque than the other. I think I'd parts had both.

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
I was hoping that Jon can help me out with the clutch replacement. And do an upgrade to my ECU to 2.0.

I can see that Sachs has a GR60/VR6 complete replacement good for up to 300 foot pounds of torque.

What do you say John, I can be a wrench gopher and second set of hands :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Hey, anyone got a source for valve seats?
I'm in need of a couple intakes for my ALH, but it seems that any sort of plausible press fit for a 37mm hole is not available. Closest I can find that isn't undersized is 1.5" and they'll get awfully close to the injector hole if I were to bore the seat pocket out.
I mean I could probably turn them out of some chromoly DOM tubing, but I'd rather just spend the five bucks and get the proper cast alloy parts...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Anyone know where to have a spare key cut in the cities, besides the dealer?
No help from me, but be prepared to pay huge money for one. They've got RFID chips in them for the immo.

unchipped key will still open the door and turn on the ign, but the engine won't run for more than a second. :\

Last edited:

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I was hoping that Jon can help me out with the clutch replacement. And do an upgrade to my ECU to 2.0.

I can see that Sachs has a GR60/VR6 complete replacement good for up to 300 foot pounds of torque.

What do you say John, I can be a wrench gopher and second set of hands :)

Not so sure about that :) too many things going on

Huh? Weiiiird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of selling my car and wanted some input on its value.

2011 2dr golf 6sp
Just hit 50k, koni fsd w/ he sport, dg shifter and skid plate,
dpf delete w/ Malone tune, oem hid conversion. Been my daily
For almost 4 years w/ no issues.

Thanks for any help
Jeff

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of selling my car and wanted some input on its value.

2011 2dr golf 6sp
Just hit 50k, koni fsd w/ he sport, dg shifter and skid plate,
dpf delete w/ Malone tune, oem hid conversion. Been my daily
For almost 4 years w/ no issues.

Thanks for any help
Jeff
Hi Jeff. Just as there is a seasonal pattern to fuel prices, there is a seasonal pattern to the prices for used TDIs. Right now, with gasoline so much cheaper than diesel, it is relatively difficult to sell a TDI unless you slash the price.

You should probably keep your Golf until the spring, when diesel and gasoline prices will be closer together. You'll get a lot more interest from prospective buyers, and will probably be able to sell for $2000-$3000 more than you can right now.

Your Golf does sound pretty sweet, though, so if someone is actually looking for a Golf TDI then he should definitely check yours out.

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Thanks for the input. I'm not really concerned with getting max value. I don't want to have to return everything to stock. I am looking for someone who is interested in it as it is now. I know I'll have to sell it at a reduced price, I just wanted a starting point. From what I can tell it's worth around 11 or 12 stock.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
How hard is it to a 2011 JSW to stage 2 and DPF delete? Also how much?
Thanks

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Wouldn't a SBC stage 2 daily hold his setup just fine?
I've got almost 100K on mine, holding just fine. Not sure what haakonpe's current mods are, but I always viewed the g60/VR6 setup as a temporary fix until you build more power ;-). I didn't want to do a clutch twice :D

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've got almost 100K on mine, holding just fine. Not sure what haakonpe's current mods are, but I always viewed the g60/VR6 setup as a temporary fix until you build more power ;-). I didn't want to do a clutch twice :D
Thanks for chiming in. Always helps to have some real world feedback.

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Currently Mods:
Upgraded injectors - Kerma TDI 205's (at 280k, I figured they needed help)
Malone Tune 1.5. (The error in the fuel mapping had me cranking on hot days - so I went big ;-)

There was definitely an increase in performance over the stock ECU. It started right up too. Except today when it was -13. Today it was unhappy -- and I think it's the starter or cable to it.

I'm going to go with a G60/VR6 clutch. They are supposed to be good to up to 325HP or so. Nick and I just need to settle on a date to git-r-done.

Ram Man 02

TDI
02 Dodge CTD
There was definitely an increase in performance over the stock ECU. It started right up too. Except today when it was -13. Today it was unhappy -- and I think it's the starter or cable to it.
This is another great point id like to know more about. How did everyones car start this morning? assuming you have a good battery does it take more then 1 cycle of the glow plugs? does tuning effect its starting?

I know my dodge will start on the first try but its definitely unhappy.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
This is another great point id like to know more about. How did everyones car start this morning? assuming you have a good battery does it take more then 1 cycle of the glow plugs? does tuning effect its starting?

I know my dodge will start on the first try but its definitely unhappy.
My 2002 Golf sometimes takes two cycles in this weather but I've never had a problem and I'm on a 5-6 year old battery. I only have a stage 1 Malone tune and have noticed no difference in winter starting.

The Wife's 2011 model starts as if it's a gas engine in this weather with a noticeably shorter glow plug cycle. No tune on her car.

Either way both are incredibly better than my old Chevy Half Ton with the 6.5T diesel (even when plugged in).

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
This is another great point id like to know more about. How did everyones car start this morning?
I am going to go start mine now but typically at this temperature I cycle the glow plugs twice just because it will still take a few cranks for it to rumble over. I blame the larger injectors and cam. When it was stock it always fired right up. My battery is 1.5 y/o

Also at this temperature, I will loose heat momentarily under hard acceleration. I have no engine cover, egr, or hood insulation, and my radiator is not blocked off.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Mine took about 20 seconds of GPs, and some torching of the intake manifold. But mine's got a bit lower compression, and the IP timing was way retarded (just about 6 after TDC, now I've got it around 7.5 degrees, gonna back it off to 6ish soon).

If it is your only vehicle, there are a ton of tricks to getting them going in a pinch. Best to just get a coolant heater that you plug in.

Last edited:

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
coolant heater is fine if you are parked at home or near an outlet... any solutions if you park in a parking ramp with no power outlets??

Mine has been taking a few cycles to start.. runs like poop when it does for the first few minutes

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
coolant heater is fine if you are parked at home or near an outlet... any solutions if you park in a parking ramp with no power outlets??

Mine has been taking a few cycles to start.. runs like poop when it does for the first few minutes
Keep a can of WD40 in the glove box. Get a boost gauge and plumb it directly to the intake manifold.
Pull the line off the boost gauge and spray some WD-40 through the tube into the intake and it'll kick over every time.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Even with my smaller upgrades, my car sits outside of work all day and never has a problem, it complains a bit, but always starts. It lives in a 40 degree garage at night, so I can't give a data point on that. But I wonder why people are having issues with the ALH powered cars. I am running a OEM battery if that makes a difference.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Keep a can of WD40 in the glove box. Get a boost gauge and plumb it directly to the intake manifold.
Pull the line off the boost gauge and spray some WD-40 through the tube into the intake and it'll kick over every time.

Never spray anything into a TDI intake while trying to start it. (or any other time)

Bill

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Never spray anything into a TDI intake while trying to start it. (or any other time)
Bill
Never ever under any circumstance replace parts of your automobile with those not made by the OEM.
It is dangerous and irresponsible.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It is a good rule of thumb to never spray anything into a TDI intake while trying to start it.

The reason being, if you spray something in, and the engine doesn't start, there is a tendency to try again with more -- eventually, with enough to cause major damage like bent rods.