www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 16th, 2005, 05:56   #1
trapperkeeper
Veteran Member

Default When will diesel prices come down?

There's been a lot of talk about why it's so high, but what I want to know is when will it come down? It's been way above average temps in the NorthEast so I would have expected demand for diesel in general to be less than expected (home heating oil demand down) and yet I see diesel almost at what it was post katrina @ $2.79/gal average and RUL @ $2.09/gal. At least in Vermont.

At this point in time, a Toyota corolla gets better price/mile than my TDI Golf adjusted for the + $.60/gal premium of diesel... I had foolishly thought when I bought my TDI that the truckers would help keep the cost of diesel in check, but I don't see too much screaming from them, they are just passing along costs which means as a diesel passenger car group, we are kind of up the creek without a paddle.

So, is there anyone knowledgeable about when we might see some relief? At this point even driving my truck is getting to be a reasonable alternative. IMHO, the price of diesel is what will kill diesel acceptance in the US and further drive inferior hybrids. And I am not knocking hybrids to all you Prius owners, just that they are more complicated and don't get any better MPG when you compare to a TDI with the same tires/load/driving habits...
trapperkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:59   #2
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

We'll see them come down in spring, most likely.

However, there's the fact that we're buying everyone's excess gasoline for cheap cheap cheap, and nobody has excess diesel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:52   #3
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

Didn't see any info about how it affected prices, but distillates supplies rose by 2.6 million barrels where analysts had predicted a 450,000 barrel rise. The production goes where the money is, and right now distillates command a premium relative to gasoline.
OPEC is upping it's demand forecast for next year-they say higher prices are not destroying demand.
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:01   #4
NewJettaGuy
Veteran Member

My station is down to 2.259 from a high of 3.299....
NewJettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 14:47   #5
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

2.259? Holy crap...

I saw 2.509 today in Newark, OH, forget what station, but it was probably the BP at 13 and Deo.

Then again, at the Kroger in Mt. Gilead, it was $3.099 before discounts, $3.069 with the base (read: no groceries) discount, last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 23:30   #6
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (510k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Didn't see any info about how it affected prices, but distillates supplies rose by 2.6 million barrels where analysts had predicted a 450,000 barrel rise.
Not only were distillate supplies up nationally, but also up in every region except one.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...f/figure05.pdf
Only in PADD III, the Gulf Coast area, were distillate supplies down just a wee bit.
As for prices coming down... I paid $3.299 on October 12th, $2.699 tonight. Down 60 cents in five weeks, that's not bad. And I expect another 10 cent decline in the next week.
'03 Golf with 510k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:08   #7
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
(snip) I paid $3.299 on October 12th, $2.699 tonight.
__. Yes, things vary. On 28th of October, I paid $2.51 at the Flying J near Whytheville VA (on I-81 in the corner of VA near Tennessee) and on November 8th, I paid $2.18 at the Flying J north of Richmond VA. There seems to be kind of a price war on I-95 in Virginia, the new Love's near Emporia is establishing business by cutting prices -- usually a cent or two above Flying J -- and the older Emporia truckstops (Sadler's, Davis's) are meeting those prices.
__. With home heating oil stocks being built up, I don't see diesel falling much very quickly but it appears that the "Katrina" shock is over.
'
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:31   #8
dave333
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperkeeper
At this point in time, a Toyota corolla gets better price/mile than my TDI Golf adjusted for the + $.60/gal premium of diesel...
There is a $.26/gal differential around here, RUL vs Diesel. FWIW, I'll take the Golf any day of any week of any year over a Corolla.... More power, much easier to get more power, therefore easier to have more fun, more features making it even more fun. Fun, fun, fun and then more fun.
dave333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:41   #9
Fammaden

TDI(s): None yet.

I'm seeing some stations at 2.49 now after having been steady at 2.59 or more for a week or two. RUG is between 2.09 and 2.19 though.
Fammaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:10   #10
PDJetta
Veteran Member

The Hess I used to buy fuel at raised prices to $3.00 a gallon right after Katrinia hit (late Aug./early Sept?) and they are still 3.00 a gal. I'm baffled, because their RUL has steadily fallen at the Hess, and last night, was $2.15 a gallon. That's an 85 cent spread! Even the outragously high Exxon that used to have diesel always priced 40 cents above the Hess is cheaper. Its at $2.89 a gallon. I found a Sunoco that has it for $2.69 a gallon and have been filling up there, but I have to go 15 miles out of my way to get it. I also fill up a couple of 5 gallon "gas" cans at the same time.

I am sure tempted to make the 45 mile each way drive to Fredericksburg, VA and buy diesel there for 2.14 a gallon (according to gasbuddy.com), but I'd spend a couple of hours doing it and burn $5 in fuel getting it. Why the heck does the price vary so much? It has to be more than taxes, because this is within the same state!

--Nate
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:25   #11
McBrew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/50/44 (usually running B100)

Diesel has been hovering around $2.89 in these parts. One station just lowered to $2.59 this morning. Regular unleaded was $2.13 at the same station. Geez... I guess we might see sub-$2 gas again... unfortunately.

Oh, well.. my last fill-up was B100 @ $3.93/gal.
McBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:59   #12
TDIgnifyd
Veteran Member

Prices are pretty ridiculous as well here in Toronto - between $0.92 to $1.08 per litre for D2. However, there is still a slight cost-savings with my TDI compared to my Subaru ... very minimal though ... hopefully things will come down after the winter.

TDIgnifyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 13:15   #13
overbite
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 passat
Fuel Economy: 49/44/27

Speaking of sub-$2 gas, my brother lives just south of Des Monies IA and last week they had $1.86/gal gas. Yeah, he flips me some sheet. Oh well It is still cheap (and more fun) for me to drive my car. If only he could do math...
Old November 17th, 2005, 20:36   #14
catmandoo
Veteran Member

here in n.w. iowa today gas was 1.99,diesel 2.59
catmandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 20:52   #15
WeekendWrench
Veteran Member

Chicagoland...been running 3.09 to 3.15 in the western burbs...there is one station in Elgin at 2.89 all week.