www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 15th, 2005, 11:03   #1
GOTLIFT02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 36-42 MPG
Default seat covers

Anyone know any good seat covers for these seats besides the crap a$$ autozone ones?? Does VW make some?? -Jordan
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:11   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

http://wetokole.net/page/WOH/CTGY/VW
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:13   #3
jokila
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Just make sure it will work with the airbags.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:41   #4
tongsli
Veteran Member

http://wetokole.net/Merchant2/mercha...Store_Code=WOH

Click on Airbag1, Airbag2 and Airbag3
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF,Standheizung,Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 17:18   #5
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (492k miles)

Alternatively, you can go with fleece seatcovers in a matching or contrasting color, with cutouts for the side airbags. I have the rear seats out of my Golf, so I only wanted/needed covers for the fronts.
Fleece is warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and soft on the tush all year round. It protects the original seat fabric. All in all, it is very durable and functional. However, whether it sufficiently stylish is up to the individual.
'03 Golf with 492k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebonos, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Hidden Hitch, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:52   #6
PD2004

I had a set of the wet okole seat covers in my former car. I loved them. They dropped the internal temperature (had vinyl seats) and were easy to clean (not that I ever did). If I needed covers, I'd go with these again. I know they are on the high side, but I think they are worth it. If for nothing else, the custom fit.
Old November 30th, 2005, 22:22   #7
gnostic203

Just out of curiosity besides air bags how do seat heaters factor into seat covers? Can you have seat covers if your car is equiped with seat heaters? Will they burn or get damaged with moderate heat?
gnostic203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:51   #8
JayT
Veteran Member

I'm probably a moron

what's this with the covers negating the airbags? Rear, front, sides?

I have seat covers on both front seats and rear bench, where on the seats are the bags, so I can check how bad I'm blocking?

Also, I second the question about seat covers and heated seats, i considered this when I covered them, but thought "eh there probably built to take abuse" then I read another thread about recalls on heated seats...

oh yeah -- I've got a 2003 Golf TDI

2003 Golf TDI 4-door GLS, Rocketchip stage 2, Boostvalve, Scangauge, LED city lights, euroswitch, Panzer skid plate - SOLD
JayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:44   #9
TDImonkey

Fuel Economy: Worst: 33 with roofrack, kayak, and yak blocks on roof; Best 62.5, doing 60 for 11 long, painful hours..

JayT:
As I understand it, the seat airbags are only in the front. If you have a seatcover without openings, and the airbag deploys, it will turn your seat cover into an ejection seat.

I went with the Wet Okoles. Pricey, but custom fitting, great looking, and I have no fear of hopping in my car dripping wet, after flipping my kayak or surfing.
My TDI is Greener than your Hybrid!!!

I wish my lawn was emo, so it'd cut itself.
TDImonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 18:46   #10
mtltdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63.21/46.88/30.25

My sheepskin covers have a cutout so they don't block the outer edge of the seat, leaving the airbags exposed in case they're needed..
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:17   #11
scooter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/48/42

If you like sheepskins, Sams Club has some with cutout sides in grey or tan for $40 per seat. HIGHLANDS SHEEPSKIN SEAT COVER GREY/TAN
Item: 974147 Price: $40.84
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:16   #12
mudshark
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38/29/25

While not quite as stylish as the wetokole, Costco sells Coverking seat covers that are also made of neoprene (leatherette too if you prefer) for about $60 less ($165 vs $225). They've got the flap for the airbag.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...0*21248*21268*