www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 14th, 2006, 21:07   #31
weasel
Veteran Member

Just had a though. Can any one think of a way to make this a maintenance free thing and have the oil return to the crankcase ( other than punching a hole in the pan )
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 21:26   #32
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

only issue I've had with my set up is that the vapours still make it out the filter, may put some stainless scrub pad in there to see if that helps.

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:45   #33
weasel
Veteran Member

Inlet and outlet hoses seem to be the same color, s oya, throw a scrubber pad in there. Works for me !!
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:40   #34
doc_m
Veteran Member

would ya put some scrubber pads in the hose or the filter itself?

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

Old February 15th, 2006, 23:19   #35
gottdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg

I am putting scrubber in my can. I am going to use copper as it was all there was at the store when I went. My can is just an empty can with a tube that will show the level of oil within the can. Nice little touch. I am hoping that the scrubbers will allow all the oil to drip down to the bottom. I am going to install a drain in the bottom before I install it. It will be done by thursday and I will post some pics of the original can and the mods I will do to it to make it work. Then we shall test it.

Quote:
Just had a though. Can any one think of a way to make this a maintenance free thing and have the oil return to the crankcase
I don't think this would be a good idea as these from what others have said are also collecting condensation and you surly don't want that in your crank case.

gottdi
gottdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:30   #36
ta79pr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 TTQ (BEW)
Fuel Economy: avg. 43

isnt part of the solution to the excess ccv flow going to be slowing the flow? all of the air vacuumed by the vacuum pump from the solenoids/booster and any leaks goes into the valve cover and then the crankcase. I must be 70-80% of the flow. Yes, no? Or is it just my logic that sucks?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130421
ta79pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:52   #37
gottdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg

From what I know the blowby from the cylinders its whats coming out of the ccv and into the intake. It is already a low flow and what we want is to remove the oil mist from this blowby before its sucked into the intake where it mixes with the carbon from the egr. The dry carbon mixed with the oily mist is what sticks to the egr, intake and builds up and cloggs up. There is also water vapor and if allowed to condense and then put back into the crank case will contaminate the oil. Sure, the oil gets contaminated but why add to it.

Quote:
all of the air vacuumed by the vacuum pump from the solenoids/booster and any leaks goes into the valve cover and then the crankcase.
I might be dumb here but I don't see (anywhere) any input into the valve cover. Ok! I see that the vaccum gets routed back to the crankcase . Only out and thats the ccv. We want it out. A catch can or filter to catch the oil mist to help slow down the crud build up in the egr and intake.

I will then assume that if the vaccum gets routed back to the crankcase then any water vapor should evaporate (after the car is heated up) and go out the ccv then into the intake to be run through the system. Odd indeed.

gottdi
gottdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:13   #38
ta79pr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 TTQ (BEW)
Fuel Economy: avg. 43

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130685
most of the ccv flow is not from blowby, but from the vacuum pump's output into the cylinder head.

Last edited by ta79pr; February 21st, 2006 at 12:16.
ta79pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 13:59   #39
silverbox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg highway@100kph

Wingnut
How has ver3.0 worked so far, free flow all winter?
Thinking of going to PA for the parts tomorrow, just want to hear its working.
silverbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 15:30   #40
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAndy
This also seems to be a very good solution to my dad's 1979 Rabbit that has a mind of its own when it gets to 68mph! Although I know his problem is very likely blowby gases taking oil with it from the valve cover into the intake, this will buy him some time before having to re-ring it.
There was an official fix for this!!! It could be rather dangerous if the engine starts running away... I had a VW dealer fix it under "goodwill" on my 1980 Diesel Rabbit... they replaced the housing that comes out of the crankcase...

Get something done... soon...

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 21:27   #41
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz
It could be rather dangerous if the engine starts running away...
Very very dangerous! My '79 use to "run away" going up hill. Had to try to hold her back with the brakes. The oil would build up and dump into the intake when going up a incline. She would take off like a jet and just pour black smoke out the exhaust. Would not shut off with the key, just keep on running until that heavy oil was burned. Finally one day she blew. Couldn't get the local dealer to do the goodwill fix. Think in '81 or '82 they claimed to have solved the blow-by problem.
Old May 7th, 2006, 23:13   #42
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

How is this going. I have been thinking about doing something like this..
I had a similar set-up on my 20v. But I used a Water seperator from a compressor.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 17:08   #43
silverbox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg highway@100kph

Just installed the wingnut version 3.0 CCV filter evrything was in stock at Princess auto parts about $50can for the parts 1/2 hour later done.
Thanks Wingnut.
I'll report back in a few months.
silverbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 14:41   #44
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mix

Oooo, I don't have a princess auto parts down where I live, but I'd love to do this. If I can't find the parts locally, can someone ship them to me?

Also, instead of using steel mesh (I'm visualizing the steel scrubbers I use on pots) what about using stainless wool? That oughta have a higher surface area.

Edit: hmmm, ah, I see that I can order from princess auto online. They ship to the US I imagine?

What do you do with the filters when they fill with oil? Do you wash them, empty them, or replace them? Would it be possible to punch a hole in the bottom and plug it to use as a water/oil drain?

Last edited by Fortuna Wolf; May 14th, 2006 at 21:20.
Fortuna Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 21:28   #45
doc_m
Veteran Member

i've been running my 3.0 set up for a few months with no issues and couple minor changes with scrubber pads but other than that been an awesome set up thanks wingnut once again for a great suggestion