Model
Tranny
Fuel Type

Post 'em up!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Rob, Park the car. Take the other one for the month. Way to show Ernie and Velvetfoot what real New Beetles can do.
<edit> He caught the error. Still, that 116 mpg mark was an inspiration to see.<end edit>

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Driver Ed's TDI
Miles 706.5 (1137 km)
Gallons 15.56 (55.9 L)
Model Year 2001
Model Bora
Tranny 5-speed
Fuel Type Dino-diesel

watercop

Veteran Member
10/1
714.9 miles
10.666 gallons
67.02 mpg

This tank consisted largely of 1800 rpm / 58 mph rural operation on an 850+ mile round trip to central AL, AC use about 1/2 the time

How about we invite some Prius owners over to play here this month? I don't want to make too much work for JNECR but it would make this more interesting.

I don't know any but from many of the threads I read here some other TDIers know some Prius drivers.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
How about we invite some Prius owners over to play here this month? I don't want to make too much work for JNECR but it would make this more interesting.

I don't know any but from many of the threads I read here some other TDIers know some Prius drivers.
I think it would make it quite interesting. Get 'em on here, I'll be happy to enter it in.

Rob, Park the car. Take the other one for the month. Way to show Ernie and Velvetfoot what real New Beetles can do.
Ooops...

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Ah well, it was fun while the notoriety lasted

efusco

TDI
2004 Toyota Prius--sorry, not a TDI guy
Sorry to interupt, but do folks usually just enter the data tank by tank as you fill up, or wait to the end of the month and post it all or what?

Chowder31

Driver Chowder31
Miles 733 (1137 km)
Gallons 14.56
Model Year 2002
Model Bora
Tranny 5-speed
Fuel Type Dino-diesel

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Tank by tank, when you fill up completely, accounting for all fuel that goes into the tank. For each month, we are looking for anything with a timestamp in the month, so anything since 12:01am on October 1 is OK for the October contest.

engunneer

TDI
2005 Toyota Prius - Silver
Driver: engunneer
Miles: see spreadsheet
Gallons: see spreadsheet
Model Year: 2005
Model: Prius
Tranny: CVT
Fuel Type: Dino-regular unleaded

Spreadsheet: http://gunn.ath.cx/projects/prius/gas.html

(Just noticed I'm not due for a fillup until Oct 6th, so no Oct numbers yet. Sept numbers in spreadsheet) Sorry if this is breaking the rules.

Hookstra

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, grey
Oct 2nd
Driver: myself
Miles: 266
Gallons: 5.7
Model Year: '96
Model: B4
Tranny: 5-spd
Fuel Type: Sheetz C45
46.66mpg

I couldn't believe I found C45 (or any diesel fuel for that matter) for $2.799 so I had to stop.

Hookstra

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, grey
I couldn't tell you - I normally don't stop at Sheetz unless I'm traveling. I haven't had the TDI for but 7 weeks so I haven't really looked around at the various stations. This particular Sheetz was in Winchester on rte 7

skinz2k5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005, silver/blk
cool man... thanks for the quick response... welcome to the wonderful world of TDI's!!!

happy vdubbing

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Sorry to interupt, but do folks usually just enter the data tank by tank as you fill up, or wait to the end of the month and post it all or what?
Tank by tank, when you fill up completely, accounting for all fuel that goes into the tank. For each month, we are looking for anything with a timestamp in the month, so anything since 12:01am on October 1 is OK for the October contest.
Any consistent method of quantifying fuel actually consumed and miles actually driven should be considered acceptable.
My own practice is to report after each 50 gallon drum of biodiesel is used. I have no method of measuring fuel other than to say that an empty drum means another 50 gallons are gone. I take odometer mileage readings as each fresh drum is started, generally with a nearly empty fuel tank. This "empty-to-empty" 50 gallon increment method means my reports don't show up with regularity. It also means that my actual fuel purchase date is sometimes weeks before I begin using the fuel. It doesn't matter. My method is consistent and considered acceptable.
The frequency of posting intermediate data is up to you. I personally like to see a "progress report" to gauge my own standing rather than to wait for a flurry of entries and an unpleasant surprise and a bruised ego when Rammstein squeaks just another fraction of an MPG higher than me...
encore un fois!

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
This particular Sheetz was in Winchester on rte 7
hrm... didn't know that sheetz had diesel, never stopped there because the sign says kerosine but doesn't day diesel.

There should be a liberty around there somewhere with B5 as well, but... I only know where the one is harisonburg is.

Hookstra

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, grey
Liberty with B5 is in Front Royal. Not sure of other locations (yet).

This Winchester Sheetz is about 1 mile east of the I-81 interchange (exit 315).

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
(Just noticed I'm not due for a fillup until Oct 6th, so no Oct numbers yet. Sept numbers in spreadsheet) Sorry if this is breaking the rules.
No Oct numbers yet, but I love statistics.. so I'll put your whole spreadsheet into mine.
Rules? We don't really have rules, just guidelines:
If the fill is in October, then that goes into the October competition
Just be sure it's as accurate as you can do it
and it's all about fun, you don't win anything but a little pride. I'm happy to say that I've never even considered thinking that somebody fudged some numbers to get just a little higher. We all mainly go for personal goals. And as you can see, my personal goal is to make over 37 MPG for the month. A hard feat for me to overcome, mind you!!

So is the designation "Prius II" and "Prius I" an acceptable designation for the different generations, or are there are more accepted denotations?

efusco

TDI
Driver - Evan
Miles - 393
Gallons - 7.3
Model Year - 2004
Model - Prius
Tranny - eCVT
Fuel Type - regular unleaded
54.0 calculated, 56.7 monitor

efusco

TDI
Shoulda read the preceeding post. Prius I and Prius II should be fine, or even just going by model year (as I did above) since there's no overlap. All models packages have the exact same drive train set up, it just come down to bells and whistles.

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver
Thanks, John,

For your dedication. Get ready for a curve ball-- When I tanked up in Fresno, there was no biodiesel available so I just poured in a 48 oz bottle of canola oil! The car ran great, but not good enough to best Watercop.

First tank for October:

Ernie Rogers
939.9 miles
15.01 gallons
Beetle
5M
D2 + 2% canola
Conditions: 90% freeway at 62.5 mph (Fresno to Pleasant Grove, Utah), balance in town.

That's 62.6 mpg. /Ernie

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Driver: Fix_Until_Broke
Miles: 880.6
Gallons: 15.569
Model Year: 2003
Model: Jetta
Tranny: 5M
Fuel Type: D2

56.6 MPG - was hoping for 60, but have to keep hoping I guess. Given my suburban driving (17 miles and 19 chances to stop) I guess I should be content.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
D2 + 2% canola
Conditions: 90% freeway at 62.5 mph (Fresno to Pleasant Grove, Utah), balance in town.

That's 62.6 mpg. /Ernie
I guess this would actually be "V2" But I'll just call it D2, makes it all easier..

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the real world.

10/5/05 - Minnetonka, MN - $14.45
221.7 mi - 4.984 gal - 44.48 mpg - $2.899/gal - 6.52¢/mi
356.8 km - 18.866 L - 5.29 L/100km - 76.6¢/L - 24.69 km/$

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
let's see here:
10/1/05 47384
10/5/05 48387; 1003.2, 15.940
1003.2/15.940 = 62.94

got real nervous when I found I had to drive half way around the DC beltway and then up eight exits on 270 (bout the worst road I know of!) last night during peak rush after the tank went BING!

but I still had a gallon to spare.