www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 19th, 2005, 12:38   #1
Bapu

Default Is B4 Cruise Control Fused???

Hi again Guys... Is the Cruise on the B4 Passat Fused? OWNERS MANUAL...... says it IS and is a 5A fuse above the relay panel... I know this is a generic manual for all the B4's SO.... I can't find a fuse above the relay panel except a 10A i think... Does it exist? I got a Vag-Com and in block 6 see the Switch tests and all... Brake and clutch switches work fine, but the other stalk switches register NOTHING. ALSO the "Cruise control present?" field registers no change no matter what I do. Am I on the right track here? Also the speed sensor seems to work fine! Thanks SO much for you help all!

Cheers,

Barry
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 18:16   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Default Re: Is B4 Cruise Control Fused???

Cruise control is not fused. The manual is referring to the gasoline engine version, which has a separate and distinct "module" for the cruise control. On the TDI models, it's simply built into the engine control ECU.

You've probably got a bad stalk switch or a broken wire leading to the switch. It's not uncommon ...
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 18:22   #3
Rick P.
Veteran Member

Default Is B4 Cruise Control Fused???

The cruise control circuit may not be separately fused, but it is tied into one of the auxillary power circuits. It is on the same circuit as the heated seats if you have them and your back-up lamps. I have an intermittent short in my passenger side seat heater and can tell if someone's been playing with the switch because the cruise stops working.

If the fuse is blown (Bentley says it's fuse #14, 10 amps) check for a blown back-up bulb. That can sometimes do it.

Rick
Rick P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 13:22   #4
Andrei Rinea
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 7.7 / 6.9 / 4.3

My Cruise Control stopped working and a friend connected a VAG-COM interface and we looked at the pedal sensors and there are three bits: 1 0 0 with no pedal pressed. If I press the clutch there is no change if I press the brake pedal the group changes into 1 1 1. I guess my clutch pedal sensor (switch) needs recalibration and/or replacing?
Thank you.
Andrei Rinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 13:50   #5
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Sounds like it to me. Take it out and test it (ohms with it open and closed) then, if bad, replace, if not bad, clean contacts/plugs and replace.
rdkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 14:03   #6
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Also - check this for what the items mean:

cruse control thread
rdkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 15:14   #7
Rick P.
Veteran Member

Faulty switch. There's nothing to calibrate on these but unlike most VW parts they're relatively cheap to replace.

Rick
Rick P. is offline   Reply With Quote