A4 Jetta alarm arms/doors lock automatically

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
When I unlock my 2002 Jetta GLS, about 20 seconds later it re-locks itself and arms the alarm. This happens even if I leave the driver's door open, or even if get in and put the key in the ignition.

Leaving one of the back doors open prevents it from doing this, as does starting the car. I haven't tested the passenger door to see if it would prevent this.

I've searched this forum with every combination of terms I can think of, going back 3 years. Help! Can I disable this incredibly irritating behavior using VAG-COM and if so, how?

If it is possible and I do it, what else (if anything) will be affected?

I have the Bentley "Service Manual" (which I've checked for the answer - no dice) but can't afford the subscription to the full "Repair Manual" CD.

Mike

Jason Blier

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS in Reflex Silver
It sounds like you have a defective door lock module on the drivers side front door. I had the same things happen and had to get it replaced.

-Jason

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
It sounds like you have a defective door lock module on the drivers side front door. I had the same things happen and had to get it replaced.

-Jason
I'm dubious about that, because it's very consistent, and I seem to remember the previous owner mumbling something about it being programmed that way on purpose (as if he or his ex-wife had it done).

I have a feeling it's an option that was set by a dealer for the previous owner...I just don't know how to undo it. If you know for a fact that it's not possible, I'll have a dealer look at it.

Mike

dotcom

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2010 Golf Wagon
I have the same problem. It started when my driver's door switch failed. (now my interior lights won't come on when I open the driver's door) Has anyone managed to fix this problem without replacing the entire door lock module?

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
I have the same problem. It started when my driver's door switch failed. (now my interior lights won't come on when I open the driver's door) Has anyone managed to fix this problem without replacing the entire door lock module?
Interesting...well, I think I owe Jason an apology then...and I definitely don't want to replace the whole module, so I'll just *grumble* live with it.

Unless that means my alarm isn't working while I'm away from the car.

Mike

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Yep! I've fixed mine and one or two others. It involves pulling the door apart to get to the door lock module and then getting the module itself apart and resoldering some microswitch connections that habitually crack and lose electical continuity. There is a good write-up over at VWvortex in the Golf/Jetta maintenance forum. A search here under "door lock" or "alarm problem" should turn up more than a couple posts and the direct link to the thread on VWvortex.It's not a particularly difficult job, just quite time consuming, at least the first time you do it.Good luck!

troyg54

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Im going to have to do this one. I was 100 miles from home and my keys got locked in the ignition, automatically, 20 sec after the door was closed. I called a tow truck and 4 minutues later I was in my car, but I was $50 poorer.

EZ_Fixes_Only

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Silver
Thanks to all for the information. Again the solution to a problem has been well documented. That was a great link to vwvortex.