www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 30th, 2005, 13:59   #1
overbite
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 passat
Fuel Economy: 49/44/27
Default 2006 Jetta GPS NAV system

Hi,

I am looking at getting a 2006 Jetta in the next couple of days. One of the models that I found has the DVD based Navigation system on it. Does anyone have that on there car? If you do could you explain the operation of it to me (not what button to push, but how good it works)? How intelligent is the system? I have a Megellan hand held that I use for hiking and canoeing. How similar are the two? Yes I could take it for a test drive, but then I have to put up with the VW sales man. They don't give discounts when you drop them in a hole 10 miles out of town. Thank in advance for you expert advice.
overbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 14:13   #2
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20
Default Re: 2006 Jetta GPS NAV system

That is the MFD2 System and if it is anything like the MFD Navi G I have in my Passat it is awesome
MFD=Multi Function Display,Mulipe Keystrokes control the system, is very intelligent and has spoken directions the screen is 6.5" color very nice and really sharp.
This is the unit you will get but adapted and mounted in a B5.5 Passat
Lots of good Navi info Here

tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 19:46   #3
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

Man Tom, I like your navi install a lot more. Having the switches sideways looks really goofy.

-J
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 20:27   #4
tomo366
TDI Lifer

That one is not mine......I like the MFD2 though! This is mine!!
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:42   #5
overbite
Veteran Member

Thanks Tomo,

It looks a whole lot like the one in the Jetta. The link was helpful too. I guess that Nav system does quite of the thinking for you. My Megellan make me work way to hard. Guess that is what the extra $$ are for. Now alls I have to do is see if the dumb VW guy can deal.
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:21   #6
Keir_Asher
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30/29/27

Are you going to Clements?
Keir_Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:52   #7
fallingwindows
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/45
Default 2006 Jetta GPS NAV system

I'm sure the dedicated Nav systems are nice, but I love my system - I use a Garmin Ique M5 right now in the Jetta. It's a pocketPC with built-in GPS and nav capabilities, and you can get one for around $500. Comes with a power plug, amplified speaker, windshield mount, home pc mount, etc, plus maps for all of North America. Much more sophisticated than my previous, a Garmin GPSV.

I just like being able to remove it and install it in another car (friend's, rental) in a minute or so. It doesn't attract thieves if you hide it in the glovebox, plus you get a pocketPC to boot!

It's not perfect, but it's worth every penny for the gadget lover
fallingwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 13:00   #8
overbite
Veteran Member

I have been going over there, but they kind of have there heads up there rears. I tried to deal on a car and they were "NO only MSRP for TDIs". I talked to them some more and then they sold the car I was trying to deal on. So... On to greener pastures. I do have to admit the one guy that I talked to was pretty low pressure, he just couldn't a wize without the manager holding his... hand (stop thinking bad). This other lady I talked to when I orginally went in to drive the car was really bad. I thought she was selling used cars not new!

Why can't tdi's be sold by tdi club members? That would make it a whole lot more fun.

By the way Keir, way don't you stop over for a beer sometime. I live on Perry street in the other half of the abondoned Duplex.
Old September 1st, 2005, 13:05   #9
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

I think the WI dealer is having specials for TDI fest participants. Check it at the TDI Fest page.

Sam
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:32   #10
Keir_Asher
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30/29/27

Clements sucks. Everything I have heard about them is BAD. Are you interested in traveling for a car? There are a couple of dealers that do well here(TDIclub). One of them is from WI. 3138 is his screen name, I thihnk. If you have time, I would also head to TDIFest this weekend. I am heading out tomorrow, returning tomorrow as well.

Otherwise, my brother in-law had good luck at Schmelz Countryside in the cities. He got a pretty good deal. BUT, that was a year ago. We were not experiencing the fuel fiasco we are now.

Where the H is Perry St.? Half abandoned duplex?
What are you going to do with your passat?
Keir_Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:28   #11
overbite
Veteran Member

I don't know if I will make it to the fest this year. I might have to help my sister-in-law move. I don't mind traveling for a car. I got my current one in Chicago. I will look in to Schmulz at the cities, though last time I check TDI's in the cities were going for more than MSRP.

Sorry about the bad directions, it seemed that everyone I talked to knew about the other half of my townhome. Apparently the owner up and ran to Cali. to hide from the bank. Perry is the first left off of Blace from Agency headed east.

I am planning on selling my Passat when I know that I have a new car and have taken delivery.

Thanks for the advice. What part of town are you located in? Have fun at the fest.
Old September 19th, 2005, 16:59   #12
overbite
Veteran Member

ok, I am still monkeying around with this Navigation system thing. Since to get it from VW you would have to order package 1 and the nav system, I am assuming that they want you to have sat radio so that you have a reciver for the gps too. Am I right in that assumption? So could a guy get a car with just the sat radio option and then find the VW nav system aftermarket, or on the sly from a VW dealer (yeah right) and get it installed in a 2006 A5? I like what tomo has, and think it would be cool to have something like that.

Later
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:22   #13
TDIPASSATGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35.2 lifetime

For just over $400 you can get a decent laptop. For $130 you can get the Garmin USB plug in NAV antenna and software with maps for all of North America. ALL of them fit on the laptop. A small 1/4" plywood shelf slides onto the co-pilot seat between the back and seat portion and holds a 15" GPS screen. The computer will allow you to dim the screen at night. You can take in on the airplane and grin watching the roads you can identify pass under you at 550 MPH at 33,000 FT. (I know it is not on the approved list of electronics, but it is only listiening to a signal that is hitting the plane whether you are listening or not) A Delta instructor/friend says he uses his Smart Phone version above 10K FT. Then into the HERTZ car saving $10/day over the crappy NeverLost system. You can also use it to scan TDIClub at Starbucks.

I have a 170Watt inverter from the cigarette lighter port in the trunck and run a lamp cord under the carpet to under the co-pilot seat. I plug in the computer and drive........."in 237 mile exit right"
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:48   #14
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I have had my 2006 Jetta for 2 weeks now and it has a Factory Nav system 1800 option!
No Regrets here!

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green
Old July 3rd, 2006, 13:35   #15
AudioBear

Fuel Economy: n/a

I've had one in my 2006 Jetta for a couple of months and I am fully satisfied with it. You can get more flexibility-functionality and/or lower price with various aftermarket solutions but that's a tradeoff against a factory installed unit that is quite good and which fits well and is warranted by VW.

AudioBear
AudioBear is offline   Reply With Quote