www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 29th, 2010, 13:11   #61
TdiTaff
Veteran Member

Question was asked at the bottom of page 3 but I haven't seen the answer - What is the Torque for the fill and drain plugs please?

Many thanks.

VNT 17. Malone Stage 4 Tune. GodSpeed 1.8T SMIC Nicktane Uber Fuel Filter. Doggie Collar. SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch. Bilstein TC Sport Dampers. TT LCA Bushings. Expert Installation and service from aNUT; Dieselland.net. Ventectomy
TdiTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 13:50   #62
silverstick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg ('02) and 48 mpg ('05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiTaff View Post
What is the Torque for the fill and drain plugs please?
See Runonbeer's "Frequently Asked Torque Specs":

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=76249
silverstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 15:25   #63
TdiTaff
Veteran Member

Found it, thanks;
17mm allen (Hex) bolts, fill and drain plugs on manual transmission: 18 lbs-ft

VNT 17. Malone Stage 4 Tune. GodSpeed 1.8T SMIC Nicktane Uber Fuel Filter. Doggie Collar. SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch. Bilstein TC Sport Dampers. TT LCA Bushings. Expert Installation and service from aNUT; Dieselland.net. Ventectomy
TdiTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 16:55   #64
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

careful with the torque wrench, the aluminum threads can strip . just snag it down, it;s not going anywhere
2014 Honda Civic
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:06   #65
fitzski
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

I couldn't find a torque spec in the Bentley (Maintenance section, page 0-41, or the torque tables in section 34), but yeah... it's sure not much. Finger tight + 1/4 ~ 1/2 turn, IME.
fitzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:14   #66
TDIFan_87

Did this over the weekend. Thanks for the great writeup!
Old February 20th, 2011, 21:49   #67

TDI(s): 2002 GLS TDI

Does anyone have the latest VW numbers on the fluid?? I went to the stealer and they tried to sell me a g60 or g70 something... Do not remember which one. Do the bottles from the dealer say G-4 on them? I have heard that G-5 is a no-no. Also on an MK4 can you fill it to the fill hole and call it good or was there a tsb on these cars too??
1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:12   #68
Jerry Freeman
Veteran Member

I did this a week or so ago.

The old gear oil didn't look bad, so I wondered if changing it would improve anything.

New transmission oil definitely made a difference. The shifting has always been smooth, and I haven't noticed a change in that, but the sound of the transmission has changed quite a bit.

There has been something like a harmonic rumble or whine accelerating hard from low rpm's and at high rpm's around 4,000. That has diminished by maybe 75% since the transmission oil change.

There's still some of that harmonic noise remaining, however. I wonder if I should run this new gear oil for a few thousand miles and then change it again so all the oil gear oil will be completely flushed out.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jerry
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:16   #69
Jerry Freeman
Veteran Member

From idparts.com, here's the current manual transmission fluid. It replaces all previous specification versions:

Quote:
OEM G 070 Manual Transmission Fluid $13.65

This is the latest generation of VW's multi-weight transmission fluid for manual transmissions in all VW TDIs.
Best wishes,
Jerry
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:17   #70
cheezy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-52.6, B4-37 city on 2 yo fuel!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Freeman View Post
I did this a week or so ago.

The old gear oil didn't look bad, so I wondered if changing it would improve anything.

New transmission oil definitely made a difference. The shifting has always been smooth, and I haven't noticed a change in that, but the sound of the transmission has changed quite a bit.

There has been something like a harmonic rumble or whine accelerating hard from low rpm's and at high rpm's around 4,000. That has diminished by maybe 75% since the transmission oil change.

There's still some of that harmonic noise remaining, however. I wonder if I should run this new gear oil for a few thousand miles and then change it again so all the oil gear oil will be completely flushed out.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jerry
The VW factory manual for the B4 says to top off at the filler hole, then drive it for a few minutes, and make sure to top it off again. Maybe that will remove the last of your noise-to top it off?

Doing a "flush" is always an option, but I'd do it with a dino. 75-90 and just a short drive. Real short, then drain again if you feel like it, but to each their own time and money. Nothing wrong with being too thorough IMO.

I found my drain/fill plugs needed to be removed with a 3/4" breaker bar, after soaking in Kroil for 2 hours. Onwards.
cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 15:21   #71
2KAgGolfTDI

How about the Mobil1 75w90 gear oil?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

The site says it's GL-5, is that bad, if VW says GL-4?
2KAgGolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 15:22   #72
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

Do not use GL5 oil.

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:43   #73
no-blue-screen
Veteran Member

This is a nice write-up. I just did mine yesterday with G60 fluid purchased from world impex. Fluid was the color of pancake syrup and I used a cheap pump from autozone to pump the new fluid into the fill hole. The new fluid is almost completely clear and both the drain and fill plugs had a noticeable film on them that was quickly removed with some brake parts cleaner. Trans seems to shift well if not a little better than before the change. With 129k on the clock I figured I would tackle this sooner than later.

This is fairly easy and good PM IMO.
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:54   #74
Keith_J
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 MPG @ 80 MPH with 2 bikes on top. 52 MPG @ 60 MPH slick

I've been reading conflicting information on the GL-5 issue. Sure, GL-5 has twice the sulfur and phosphorous extreme pressure anti-wear package as GL-4 but also has corrosion inhibitors to offset the yellow metal wear issue.

Aaron at Bora Parts sells Lubro-Moly GL-5 with the gear swap kits which is what I recently used. I have much better shifting, might be the old oil appeared very thin and brown. No water or chips noted, just a considerable film over the parts under the 5th gear cover. The OCD side of my brain thinks another swap in say, 8000 miles, might be a good idea to clean out the remaining crud. I'll keep note of synchro wear on 5th.
2k Jetta manual. PP520s. Ventectomy, Panzer Plate, DT hitch, 16"s w/ 205 55s. Short shifter. Boost gauge with blue LED backlight, same intensity as dash. Blistein struts and shocks. 0.658:1 5th gear swap and LOVING IT.
Keith_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:06   #75
export!

TDI(s): '02 Golf

I'm having a heck of a time finding GL-4 rated fluid. I'm wondering if this is one of those issues where the Internet is to blame. Before all this info I would have read the bottle and thought "cool - this exceeds the spec required when they built the car". Now you can read all these theories about extra additives, bushing wear, etc and I will not be able to sleep at night if I put GL-5 in. AAAAHHHH!!!

Kinda like self diagnosing yourself on the medical sites. Just not a good idea.
export! is offline   Reply With Quote