www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 28th, 2005, 15:25   #1
karlkoenig
Veteran Member

Default Oil Filter Wrench

Where did you get yours? What size should it be? I have a 2001 TDI.

Thanks!

Karl
karlkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 19:01   #2
ARBY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34ish
Default Re: Oil Filter Wrench

Get a strap wrench. Easy-peasy.
ARBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 20:45   #3
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)
Default Oil Filter Wrench

AutoZone "B" cap... less than $5... (metal... the WalMart one's plastic...)

(14 flute, 76 mm)

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:42   #4
Kayakkermit
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6L / 100 km

Quote:
PITA trying to get a strap wrench in the area and actually have it grab enough to loosen.
Went with the cap wrench from Autozone, bought it as an extra that Yuri had (Thanks again).
Strap wrench goes back in the plumbers box.
Kayakkermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 16:27   #5
dlb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
PITA trying to get a strap wrench in the area and actually have it grab enough to loosen.
Went with the cap wrench from Autozone, bought it as an extra that Yuri had (Thanks again).
Strap wrench goes back in the plumbers box.
I agree - the strap wrench is a little awkward and tough to get a good grip. Go with the cap - its 76mm 14 flute I think. Really cheap at Walmart too - less than $5
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 17:06   #6
Blackknight
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None
Fuel Economy: 42/41/40

I don't use an oil filter wrench. Hand tight is good enough.
Blackknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:03   #7
verylongdrive
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf,2001
Fuel Economy: 43/46/50

Quote:
I don't use an oil filter wrench. Hand tight is good enough.
I wish the previous owner of my 01 Golf had thought so - it's utterly stuck.
Help!
A strap wrench gets no grip whatsoever; the AZ cap holds its grip so far, but because it's rather shallow, I'm afraid that it will either strip the filter lid (if I put the handle all the way into the hole, keeping the cap wrench to high) or that the handle will come out as I'm pushing (if I seat the cap wrench all the way, only settign the ratchet handle into the 3/8" hole).

Either way, with a 10" ratchet handle so far, I cannot get it to budge. (I assume it does turn left to open, like a regular screw?)

What's next? Very long handle extension? WD-40?
Every time I tried it so far, the engine has been quite warm. Does the lid shrink/expand fast or slower than the engien block metal? The cap looks like plastic - is it?
verylongdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:25   #8
Vorlons
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52.7 / 48.7 / 44.7

I just had the same ordeal when doing my wife's 05 Honda CRV first oil change. (don't yell, her car not mine).

It was very tight. Strap wrench would not budge it. Went to Autozone and picked up cap tool and just in case, another tool. Don't know right name for it, but it is basically a square 4" long shaft that goes on socket wrench and has a loop strap coming out though slit in the shaft.

Way it works is you wrap the strap around filter, then turn the shaft to take up all the slack. It will then be tight against the filter. You attach socket and turn away, making the strap tighter and applying turning force.

I actually compleatly crushed the filter! And it still did not budge. I moved the shaft to opposite end and tried again. This time it worked.

I would hate to use on my 2001 TDI as if it was as tight as the CRV, the filter housing would be broken. They must have failed to apply oil to the rubber gasket at the factory. Then again, maybe Honda trying to discourage you from doing your own oil change when you see how hard the first one is.
Vorlons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:56   #9
mwalters
Veteran Member

I just use my hand...
mwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 16:56   #10
moondawg
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best: 52.33 Worst: about 39 Avg: 48

Quote:
I just had the same ordeal when doing my wife's 05 Honda CRV first oil change. (don't yell, her car not mine).

It was very tight. Strap wrench would not budge it. Went to Autozone and picked up cap tool and just in case, another tool. Don't know right name for it, but it is basically a square 4" long shaft that goes on socket wrench and has a loop strap coming out though slit in the shaft.

Way it works is you wrap the strap around filter, then turn the shaft to take up all the slack. It will then be tight against the filter. You attach socket and turn away, making the strap tighter and applying turning force.

I actually compleatly crushed the filter! And it still did not budge. I moved the shaft to opposite end and tried again. This time it worked.

I would hate to use on my 2001 TDI as if it was as tight as the CRV, the filter housing would be broken. They must have failed to apply oil to the rubber gasket at the factory. Then again, maybe Honda trying to discourage you from doing your own oil change when you see how hard the first one is.
Had the same trouble on my '04 dakota. Oil filter is in a lousy location in the first place. Couldn't get a strap wrench on it.... cap wrench wouldn't budge it. Gigantic channel locks couldn't get enough grip, crushed it, poked a hole in it. Oil running everywhere, because for some reason people can't have oil filters with the hole on the bottom. Shoved a screwdriver through the hole made by the pliers.... wedged the blade into the filter media. Each attempt at turning moved the filter a little, tore the hole in the filter a little.

Finally got the thing off and put the new one on with correct tightness.

If I ever meet that Dodge assembly guy, I'm going to kick him in the nuts, no questions asked.

moondawg
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 18:24   #11
verylongdrive
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf,2001
Fuel Economy: 43/46/50

OK, you've convinced me now to never attempt a filter change on our Chevys - the filter is mounted high up, but can only be reached from below, so the car would have to be jacked up, and exerting much force on the filter while under the jacked-up car sounds like even less fun then just lying under the jacked-up car, which I was already not going to do.

But now: What do i do to get this non-disposable VW filter cap off? WD-40? Go to my regular mechanic, say "look what I've got" (he hasn't seen this new car yet and isn't going to see much of it if I can help it, but my inability so far is making me lose hope) and have him twist it off in 10 seconds?
verylongdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 20:17   #12
karlkoenig
Veteran Member

Interesting replies to this. I had a filter wrench that worked for a while, but then it stretched or something and it kept slipping. That is why I did the original post. I eventually took it into the VW dealer where the service tech used a snap-on filter wrench to remove it.

Next time I am going to lightly coat the threads with oil before I re-install.

Oh... and I need a new wrench.
Old September 1st, 2005, 20:47   #13
whatnxt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '12 Golf
Fuel Economy: 38-47

If you are close to a Mercedes dealer, they have the wrench that you need in metal. It also has two screws that allow the filter top to be pushed out of the wrench if it gets stuck. It cost me $17.00 and is the same size as the TDI.
whatnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 21:33   #14
karlkoenig
Veteran Member

Is there a part number on it or anything like that?
Old September 1st, 2005, 23:54   #15
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

>>the AZ cap holds its grip so far, but because it's rather shallow, I'm afraid that it will either strip the filter lid (if I put the handle all the way into the hole, keeping the cap wrench to high) or that the handle will come out as I'm pushing (if I seat the cap wrench all the way, only settign the ratchet handle into the 3/8" hole).
Either way, with a 10" ratchet handle so far, I cannot get it to budge. (I assume it does turn left to open, like a regular screw?)<<

Well, the AutoZone "B" Cap wrench _is_ cheap... I would set it fully on the filter cap, and only put the end of the 3/8" drive into the opening... yes, it unscrews counter-clockwise...

I've seen garages unscrew the cap with very large slip-joint pliers and a lot of force, but that's rather crude... If yours is really stuck on that solidly, you may need to use two methods at once: the one mentioned last paragraph, and at the same time someone else helping out with either some type of strap or pliers... I've never needed anything that powerful, though...

Good luck!!

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote