www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 15th, 2005, 23:29   #1
spine911
Veteran Member

Default Coolant Change/Bleeding Procedures...Please

Any specific info. regarding Coolant DRAINING and BLEEDING procedures(1.9 NB) would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:58   #2
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good
Default Coolant Change/Bleeding Procedures...Please

well now. The drain cock is located on the drivers side and you must remove the belly pan and DS side skirt to get at it.
it helps to put a little hose on the drain cock and run it into an old milk carton or somthing. the drain cock does not simply spin open, rather, it cams out when turned CCW such that only about a 1/4-1/2 turn is required to reach the fully open point.
While draining, you may want to apply a bit of pressure to the coolant res. to push all the coolant out of the head.

once you've drained it all, make an assesment of how much was removed and then mix 1/2 that amount of new coolant with the same amount of water (distilled if you live in a region with high mineral, carbonate, sulfates like I do.)

Remove the clamp on the upper radiator hose that leads from the radiator to the drivers side of the head. there is a union at that point that is convenient for adding coolant.

first fill the radiator:

then fill the engine:

then, reconnect the two ends of the hose leaving a small wedge through which air can escape, and hold it thusly while filling the resivoir like so:

Slowly, the coolant will fill the block and push air up through the hose. Once coolant rises up to the hose (you'll see it) reconnect the hoses fill the res to the proper level, and start the engine. this will ensure that the water pump is never run dry and is effectively faster than waiting for the engine to bleed itself while adding coolant to the res.

Why are you changing your coolant? did you get some green stuff?
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 21:48   #3
spine911
Veteran Member

Default Re: Coolant Change/Bleeding Procedures...Please

Thanks for such a great writeup!...a couple more questions: you mentioned something about the Radiator Drain Cock being located on the Driver's side which needs removal of the side skirts??? as in the WHOLE Left Side Skirt??....Can i just use any Aluminum Safe Coolant?
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:53   #4
NuM3R1K

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg avg

Good post man, but I was wondering something. Is it alright to use a regular cooling system flush like Prestone's Super Flush or do I have to use something VW spec?
NuM3R1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:53   #5
runonbeer

I'm not a coolant expert. I would just use water for flushing. and then fill with 50/50 G12 VW coolant.

The side skirt is not difficult to remove. there are some flat spin on retainers that hold the skirts onto studs sticking out of the frame. just spin those off and it should come right out.
And if you get enough hose for draining you can probably leave it in place.
Old June 17th, 2005, 21:59   #6
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

When I do it, I take my oil extractor pump and attach it to the drainback overflow hose that goes to the coolant resivoir. I apply suction to it and slowly add the measured amount of coolant. sometimes I'll also "burp" the hoses by massaging them to get any air bubbles out.
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 22:47   #7
spine911
Veteran Member

Quote:
When I do it, I take my oil extractor pump and attach it to the drainback overflow hose that goes to the coolant resivoir. I apply suction to it and slowly add the measured amount of coolant. sometimes I'll also "burp" the hoses by massaging them to get any air bubbles out.
Good Idea!....Do you think the "MITY VAC" would do the trick?- although a bit tedious bec. the Mity Vac fluid reservoir is small, just wondering if it would work with the right suction tips.
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:29   #8
runonbeer

If you use the mity vac you don't ever actually need to collect any fluid in the "catch can" In fact, before I found the above method, I would just suck on the hose with my mouth untill I "felt" the fluid coming
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:34   #9
runonbeer

Quote:
to the drainback overflow hose that goes to the coolant resivoir. I apply suction to it and slowly add the measured amount of coolant.
the red arrow points to the hose oldpoopie is talking about. Yes a mity vac will werk.

Old June 19th, 2005, 08:47   #10
oldpoopie

Yep. You apply suction on that tube only untill coolant begins to come out. You just want to purge air, so the size of your container is of no consequence.
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:49   #11
oldpoopie

Quote:
If you use the mity vac you don't ever actually need to collect any fluid in the "catch can" In fact, before I found the above method, I would just suck on the hose with my mouth untill I "felt" the fluid coming
Bleh cough cough.......
Old June 25th, 2005, 11:18   #12
shr0Om

last year emptied my system by opening the drain and letting it out, i replaced with the 100,000 mile "new gm" compatible coolant, it is orange... ive just found out this wasnt the best thing to do, but its been like this a year, my question is should i change it back to the orig stuff from dealer? and if so what is the harm in draining and just pouring it in the bulb, starting car, turning car off, putting more in bulb, until it is full... thats what i did last time... thanks for the replies.
shr0Om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 11:19   #13
shr0Om

what i mean by pouring it in the bulb is not pouring it in radiator, which is how i did it last time, i am about to go on a long trip and if changing the coolant back is best i will do it.
shr0Om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 13:47   #14
runonbeer

You probably need to drain, fill and run with water a few times before switching back to G12
Old June 26th, 2005, 15:07   #15
asau

your tdi requires g12 for the water pump and head. drain your radiator and fill with distilled water then take a drive to warm the system with the heater on, repeat until the coolant you drain is clear. do not mix green with g12.
asau is offline   Reply With Quote