www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 4th, 2005, 17:47   #1
lightning

Default turns over but won\'t start

I got a 98 Jetta TDI a little over a month ago. It was running rough. Then the check engine light came on. It started sometimes acted like it ran into a revlimiter at different high speeds, and took up to 10sec to start. There were some error codes that said it might be one of the fuel pumps, the air flow meter, and idle speed control. Then the Glow Plug light started blinking. I figured all this could be the fuel filter since the blinking meant the water separator was full. I changed the fuel filter and tried to start it. If I was lucky it would idle for a second and die. I went to bleed the fuel line and noticed no fuel was moving in the line. Does the in tank fuel pump come on only when the car is cranking, or is it like gas cars and comes on first to prime the system. Mine does not come on. What do you think?
lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 18:40   #2
NuM3R1K

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg avg
Default Re: turns over but won\'t start

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. Most of the stuff you're talking about is covered in the FAQ so check that out first. The glow plug light blinking normally has to do with your brake lights or brake light switch. How long did you try priming (you're using a vacuum pump, right?) I know when I did mine the other day it took a while for fuel to come through. Also, if the vaccum pump is not stuck in the fuel line tightly enough and registering that it has suction then it's not going to be able to pull any fuel through. Also, check the tee that connects to your fuel filter. These crack and leak air into your fuel system pretty easily so that might be why you can't pull fuel into the fuel lines. Like I said, check the FAQ first. It's a big help. Good luck.
NuM3R1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:55   #3
bowlerman
Veteran Member

Default turns over but won\'t start

u have to fill fuel filter before u put it in first. then the rough running porbably cause of late timing check vagcom.
bowlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 13:51   #4
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

You need to get familiar with a car BEFORE you start throwing the blame around - and preferably before you start spinning wrenches in the first place!

1. There is no water-in-fuel sensor.
2. Flashing glow plug lamp means a minor fault - most commonly, it means the brake lamps are burned out or the brake lamp switch is bad. However, it can mean other things.
3. There is no electric fuel pump in the tank. Therefore it is normal for "no fuel was moving in the line". It is sucked up by the injector pump that's attached to the engine. The fuel filter operates entirely under suction. Which means ...
4. You have to completely fill the fuel filter with fresh diesel fuel before you reconnect the hoses. If you don't do that, the fuel system will lose its prime, and it will be really hard to re-start.

Good luck getting it going. Next time you get fault codes, please write down EXACTLY what the fault codes are. What you're describing is too vague. By the way ... clear all the codes after you get the engine going, because there are going to be a ton of irrelevant codes stored because of all your current shenanigans.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 13:10   #5
lightning

Here is the thing I thought I was getting familiar with the car. I learned this stuff from my Chilton's Manual, which apparently is nearly worthless.
I know 2 of the actual fault codes were 1245 &amp; 1248. The reader said 1245 was fuel pump. I don't remember what the others were off the top of my head, but I have it written down at home. Is there a way to clear the codes without the reader? Thanks for the help.
Old June 6th, 2005, 14:20   #6
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Chiltons? No wonder you are confused. Do yourself a favor and get the official Bentley shop manual. You need a code scanner to clear the codes ... and a proper VW-specific scanner such as VAG-COM www.ross-tech.com will explain the codes in plain English so that you don't have to look them up!
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:04   #7
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

lightning, where are you located? if you are close to murfreesboro, i have a vagcom and you can come by and see what the codes are and what they are for.

and try and find one of these manuals:

bentley service manual for mk3
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:14   #8
lightning

I'm in Franklin. I make it out to the Burro fairly regularly so I will deffinently take you up on that. What is you #?
To give an update. The main problem for now is that they gave me the wrong fuel filter at O'riles. SO don't get your filters there! They were so close but the seat for the tee on the return line was different. I'll give an update when I get the new one in the mail. THanks
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:49   #9
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

email me at sandlotNOSPAM@NOSPAMatt.net (take out the caps).

my son is playing in a ball tournament at trinity park off north chapel road this weekend if you want to try and meet me there (east of franklin north of highway 96). i can bring the laptop.

get your a3 cat fuel filter here.
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 17:27   #10
lightning

Sorry I didn't check in until now. Anyway, I just put the new fuel filter in and sucked a bunch of air out the return line prior to the tee.
Then I tried to start it. It turns over but doesn't try to start. There is no fuel comming through the return line and I cracked one of the injector lines and nothing cam out. When I stopped bleeding I was still getting a few tiny bubbles. Do I need to do a lot more bleeding? I would think that I would still get some kind of flow out the return. Any ideas? Please help!
Old June 13th, 2005, 21:24   #11
Audi5000td
Banned

Fuel Economy: 32,36, 42

Find the return line coming off the injector pump. Attach a vacuum pump with a reservoir and keep pumping until no air bubble and straight diesel fuel are coming up the tube and into the reservoir. The object is to prime the fuel filter and the injector pump completely, so that there are no air bubbles in the system, nothing but diesel fuel.
Audi5000td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:15   #12
lightning

Quote:
Find the return line coming off the injector pump. Attach a vacuum pump with a reservoir and keep pumping until no air bubble and straight diesel fuel are coming up the tube and into the reservoir. The object is to prime the fuel filter and the injector pump completely, so that there are no air bubbles in the system, nothing but diesel fuel.
That is where I vacuumed from. Do I need to cap the end of the tee that I took the return line off of to suck from? The occasional bubbles that I am getting are no more than 1mm dia. I find it hard to believe that this is keeping any fuel from flowing. I will bleed some more when I get off work, but is there anything else I can check? Any other ideas?
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:57   #13
lightning

Update:
I got a Mityvac and am sucking from the return line. I have sucked at least 3 qts of fuel through the line and the bubbles are not going away. I have listened for leaks but cannont hear any. The line to the injector pump has no are in it. The car will not start and when cranking there is no fuel comming through the return line.
I saw where someone talked about the silonoid on the pump could cause simmilar problems. Any ideas? Shouldn't I have been done bleeding by now?
Old June 21st, 2005, 16:15   #14
Herm TDI

Quote:
...I saw where someone talked about the silonoid on the pump could cause simmilar problems. Any ideas? Shouldn't I have been done bleeding by now?
On the top left (driver's side) of the injection pump you'll see the fuel shut-off valve. This has a single wire attached to it (easy to find). Have a helper cycle the ignition key off &amp; on (without starting the engine) place your fingertip on the fuel cut-off valve. You should be able to hear &amp; feel it "CLICKING".

If the fuel cut-off valve is not operating the engine will not start.
Herm TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:11   #15
lightning

It clicks 3 times when the key is turned.

WHat about the amount of bleeding I should have to do? Should it be nearly a gallon?