www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 18th, 2005, 12:22   #1
DLV
Veteran Member

Default Power Window Repair

Yesterday my passenger side window made a noise like it was full of sand and then gave out a loud pop. The window was stuck open. I took off the door panel and started to investigate when I decided that I better let someone else look at this (I was afraid I was going to break the window).
So this morning I took my car to the dealer for repair (no appointment). He called me back 3 hours later and told me it was fixed. He said this was a common problem and VW has a "rebuild kit" for it. They repaired the passenger side AND the drivers side (even though ok) at no charge! At 116k miles, I thought that was pretty fair.
DLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:45   #2
mgwerks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42
Default Re: Power Window Repair

yep - there's a recall for the 'falling windows" problem, well-documented on this site and others.
mgwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 21:49   #3
tjl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/52/47 (mpg)
Default Power Window Repair

There is a 7 year warranty extension for the front window regulator clips. The replacement clips are of a redesigned type that won't break as easily.

If you did not get the notice from VWoA, contact VWoA and tell them your VIN, name, and address. They can then send you notices about warranty extensions and recalls. There have been safety recalls, such as the brake lamp switch and hazard / turn signal flasher, for some cars.
tjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 13:21   #4
javahunter

Has anyone heard anything regarding VW offering this same extension in Canada?

My regulator clips broke on my drivers door this past weekend. Paid out of pocket to get it fixed.

Thanks,
Jim
javahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 14:18   #5
CmdrData
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

Yes, there is such a recall for Canada. Did you fix it at a dealer? What model year is your car? Need info...
CmdrData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:12   #6
javahunter

I didn't know about any such recall until after the fact. Had it repaired at an autoglass shop, thought it had just slipped off the track. It's a 2001 Jetta TDI.

Called the VW 800 number to request compensation, after i posted, they told me it's a US only recall and they won't do anything for me because factory warranty is past.

Did you receive a recall notice on it?

Thanks,
Jim
Old May 12th, 2005, 19:50   #7
CmdrData
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

That's odd... I just went thru the paper work and can only found recalls on MAF/rear child seat sticker & the hazard flasher but no regulator. I did mine within the 2yr/40k period tho...

When you called VW of Canada, did you ask them why this is a US recall only? Canadian regulator doesn't break?!
CmdrData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 22:47   #8
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

That's because it's not a recall -- it's a voluntary extended warranty on the regulator clips. If your window regulator breaks up to 7 years from the purchase of the car, they'll replace it free of charge in in the US.

It may be a US-only extended warranty if it came about as a concession from a class-action lawsuit here in the US.
frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:31   #9
javahunter

maybe it has something to do with the colder winter up here eh?!...

All the girl on the phone could tell me was what was in her computer...typical help desk staff...grrrr.

Spoke to StJames VW in Winnipeg about it before calling VW...they would have done it no charge, but seeing I had already had it repaired, it's between me an VW canada.

Seems odd it would be US-only extension. Don't these cars all come off the same line?

Guess I'll have to send a letter to VW Canada and VW Headquarters. Although I did see somewhere online something about a class-action suit here to.

Thanks guys
Jim
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:14   #10
TXHarry

That's awesome!! I just came here looking for info on my passenger side front window (stuck down, grinding, and smelling!!) Just happened about two hours ago. Best news since they fixed the brake switch for free!!
TXHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 15:56   #11
JW50

Fuel Economy: 47.6 average so far

Where could I find the documentation for this extension?
JW50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 18:42   #12
tootallno1

Default Windows repaired

Passenger side window dropped on our 2001 TDI Golf last week. I phoned the toll free number for VWoC: 1-800-822-8987. Found out there was a 7 yr warranty to replace the broken clips free of charge. Dealer was great. They did both sides for no charge. I have a referance number from VWoc that will bring up my conversation I had with the customer service rep. I am in the Okanagan Valley, B.C. Canada. Cheers, Tim
tootallno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 20:03   #13
DRbillZ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-usual:41-42 max:47; Jetta:usual: 44highway

Took mine in recently to have the passenger window regulator clips fixed. They did it AND proactively updated the driver's window also
-2002 2.0L gasser Jetta 125,000
-2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 13,800 miles DSG
DRbillZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 18:32   #14
2001tdinewbe

Fuel Economy: 60/52/47
Default power window inquiry

just wanted to make sure I am IDing the same problem. Hit the button to lower passenger window. Heard the sand grinding noise, window went down but would not go up again. Took panels offf and motor and saw lots of cable twisted up where the motor connects to gear part inside. by the time I got the window pushed up the cables were disconnected, never did see big metal gear mechanism that is pictured on another site. I will be calling in to get a dealer to fix tomorrow any advice??
2001tdinewbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:30   #15
JW50

Fuel Economy: 47.6 average so far
Default 2001TDINewbie

I had the same problem with my 2000 Jetta.The extended warranty only covers the clips. You can get a replacement window regulator at http://store.directauto.com/repair-a...gen-jetta.html and make the reapir yourself if you choose. There are detailed instructions for this repair at http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1138563. The only special tool that I had to buy was the 8mm triplesquare bit which I found at NAPA. Hope this is a help.
JW50 is offline   Reply With Quote