www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old May 31st, 2008, 10:46   #106
MefistoTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depend my Foot .. :)

u can hold the handbrake a little bit ..

for automatic it's a differant story ..
MefistoTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:00   #107
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

Something that was touched on, but not elaborated, is the issue of DRLs and using fogs. In order to make a fog light do it's job, you can NOT have the DRLs on (defeats the purpose of the fog lights). What I will eventually do on our A4 Variant is move the DRL supply down to the fog lights (located in lower valance), with the Euro fog switch over-riding the DRL input (isolated with a diode). In that way, I have the required (and usually desireable) reduced load DRLs, but no interfering light when on fog position (if you don't know why that matters, then you haven't driven in heavy snow).
Old June 11th, 2008, 23:45   #108
Shawnz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

I did mine tonight. I did a beautiful job heat-shrinking the TFL pin, plugged it in and... still had DRLs. I unplugged the connector and found the heat shrink bunched up on the harness side.

I tried a couple more times and gave up. A wide flat flate screw driver made short work of laying the TFL pin over.

No more DRLs here. To make up for it I'll get on the 5-light mod soon .
Old January 17th, 2009, 15:15   #109
bakdoor
Veteran Member

To start off, I have an '06 Jetta that has a busted drivers side low beam. I was gonna do fogs but now I'm thinking an HID upgrade would be money better spent.

So, from reading this thread I guess I need to use VAG-COM to disable my DRLs. And if my dealer refuses to do it, what options do I have? Find someone locally that has VAG-COM and pay them to do it? Any other ideas? What about installing a Euroswitch? Does that disable the DRLs in and of itself?

I really want a set of HIDs installed, but I know the DRLs and the decreased voltage are an issue. Ideas and experience is appreciated.

Thanks!
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide-fuel sipper #2
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD-crawler hauler
1994 Jeep Wrangler-Rock Crawler
bakdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:00   #110
MBoni
Veteran Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdoor
Find someone locally that has VAG-COM and pay them to do it? Any other ideas? What about installing a Euroswitch? Does that disable the DRLs in and of itself?
Yep, finding someone with vag-com is about your only option.

Installing a Euroswitch is also a good idea, but you actually have to disable DRLs (or change to Scandinavian DRL mode) before the Euroswitch works right: the parking light-only mode gets overridden by the DRL mode.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:09   #111
Lew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best on Road was 53/48 in Town
Default No Female connection!

On my wife's 05 Beetle, I found there is no wire connection for the TFL pin to attach to....Is there another pin that should be taped?

A4 Limp Mode
VAG Tool Locator
My VAG Tool Location
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
The Doggie Leash

Wifes 5 speed just sipping Beetle Juice.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 13:42   #112
graeme86
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Worst ever 40.9 l/100km

Sometimes the wire is connected to the "B" pin, not the "TFL" pin.

I think some 3B Passats were connected that way for a while.
graeme86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 18:46   #113
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Post quoted from the first page of this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
Do not remove relay 173 to disable the DRLs! There is a lot of work involved to remove the relay, and you lose the hand brake warning light in the instrument cluster. The chances of damage to the wiring harness are also greater than if you follow the instructions below.
False, and nearly a lie. The presence of this misinformation on Fred's was brought to my attention by a poster asking on another thread why his handbrake warning lamp continues to work after he simply unplugged his DRL relay 173. Mine continues to work too.
The reason is because the warning lamp for the handbrake being engaged is a parallel connection from the handbrake switch. The hand brake switch operates two circuits, one to turn on the red alert lamp in the dash, the other to turn off the power to the coil of the DRL relay.
Unplugging and removing the complete DRL relay does nothing to the handbrake alert lamp circuit.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 19:01   #114
lovemybug
Veteran Member

On mine, I just opened up the relay and put a piece of electrical tape in between the internal moving connections. The relay is still in place for any other items that may use it, but my drl's are disabled. I like it better that way. Mostly because you don't forget to turn on your headlights at night or in the fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
Post quoted from the first page of this threadFalse, and nearly a lie. The presence of this misinformation on Fred's was brought to my attention by a poster asking on another thread why his handbrake warning lamp continues to work after he simply unplugged his DRL relay 173. Mine continues to work too.
The reason is because the warning lamp for the handbrake being engaged is a parallel connection from the handbrake switch. The hand brake switch operates two circuits, one to turn on the red alert lamp in the dash, the other to turn off the power to the coil of the DRL relay.
Unplugging and removing the complete DRL relay does nothing to the handbrake alert lamp circuit.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 22:22   #115
highender
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: max 51 mpg

Thanks...this is an easy mod.

There are no more pictures in the first post. Newbies or other less mechanically inclined may benefit from pics .

To add a small note to original poster's instructions:

Once you disconnect the wires (module) from the actual switch, turn the switch around, and you will see many metal pins protruding out. Some have numbers, some have letters. Choose the pin labeled " TFL" , and either bend it 90 deg , or tape it off.

Then reconnect the wire module to the switch...and push in and turn switch counterclockwise to install.

Takes only 2 minutes for first timer....even quicker once you know how.

THANKS.
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 01M sold
2004 Corvette Z06 TwinTurbo, twin Bosch fuel inj 1145 horses. Sold
highender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 14:53   #116
SheeB
Veteran Member

Love this mod as it seems my jetta would go through headlight bulbs too often because they were always running with the drl's. I truly hated changing the headlight bulbs on this car! Err.
01 Jetta TDI 5 speed, Stock VNT-15 Turbo, 11mm IP, Evolution Skid Plate, TDIHeater, TT Bushings, Cold Weather Air Filter w/Snow Screen Deleted, CAT air filter restriction gauge, New South EGT & Boost Gauges w/Steering Column Pod, CAT Fuel Filter w/Nicktane Filter Head, 5 Light Brake Mod, Bosio PP520 nozzles, DG EGR & Cooler Deleted, Catalytic Deleted, Southbend Stage 3 Clutch (DMF version).
SheeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 20:31   #117
meetis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG avg

Personally I simply cut the wire on the back side of the switch when i replaced it with a euro switch and soldered (yes soldered) on a set of male / femal connectors so if i for some reason want to DRL's again i just pop the switch out and connect the wire.
Personally I know DRL's are supposed to be a safety thing but i think they are over rated and simply burn out headlights even faster. Its also rather annoying because it seems there are a lot of people with DRL's in poor driving conditions that now forget to turn on their headlights because they can see fine, problem is their tail lights are not on so you cant see them till you are on top of them.
Shine suspension
meetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 15:09   #118
riquo

Default Thanks for the SAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme86
Sometimes the wire is connected to the "B" pin, not the "TFL" pin.

I think some 3B Passats were connected that way for a while.

Ony my wifes 06 TDI Beetle, it was def. Pin B, and the parking brake indicator still works!! Thanks, as everyone said it was the TFL pin even on newbug forums!! Hecho en Mexico, not EU version of Beetle

Cheers,

Riquo
Old June 7th, 2009, 15:51   #119
lovemybug
Veteran Member

I forgot to add on my previous post about opening the relay up. My DRL's are disabled, but the light for my parking brake still comes on. Just in case anyone was interested.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 19:18   #120
blizzard60
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetis
Its also rather annoying because it seems there are a lot of people with DRL's in poor driving conditions that now forget to turn on their headlights because they can see fine, problem is their tail lights are not on so you cant see them till you are on top of them.
I totally agree with this! When it's really rainy and foggy here (all the time in BC), people don't turn their lights to "on" because they are used to having day time running lights. That make is SUPER unsafe because there are no tail lights anywhere...

About this whole thread. Why are people modifying the relays when they can just pull out the switch and unplug the cable going to TFL, then zap strap it back to the bunch of wires so it's not loose in the dash? 30 seconds and much easier to "undo".

Just my $0.02,
-Chris
blizzard60 is offline   Reply With Quote