www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 29th, 2006, 17:04   #31
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

No problem with an auto cluster. Yes, the TDI tach face will cover the gear selection display.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 19:02   #32
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris. I just snagged one for $75. I won't get to play with it though until I fix my wife's Nissan (manifold gasket replacement, fun fun). I guess the hard part will be finding someone locally to reprogram the mileage.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 14:14   #33
robertgalka
Veteran Member

I have everything to do the conversion but I haven't taken anything apart yet. I would like to know why only six wire connectors are needed? We have to make a four wire harness from the wiper switch to the fuse box. Wouldn't that require eight ends already? Then we should need four more for the temp sensor harness.
robertgalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 14:43   #34
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Each wire has a terminal on both ends.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old May 25th, 2006, 14:46   #35
robertgalka
Veteran Member

Mine only came with a terminal only on one end. That is my problem, thanks.
Old May 25th, 2006, 19:56   #36
robertgalka
Veteran Member

I am having some more minor problems. The part number 1H0 953 635 is a 5 pin plug but the MFA plug is four. Does anyone know the part number for the four pin plug?

The two wires for the outside air temp sensor have a 2 pin plug part number 1H0 973 131 A. I would like to know the part number to the mating plug and wire connectors. I think the plug is 1H0 973 131 C, but I am not sure. I could cut and solder but a plug would look better.
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:52   #37
robertgalka
Veteran Member

I got it all together last night, I robbed some connectors from a wrecked car. The only problem is I can't get my outside temperature to show up on the display. The German cluster also doesn't have an engine and trunk light.
Old May 29th, 2006, 21:40   #38
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

I'm sorry about the incorrect P/N for the switch connector. I added those numbers for the revised article years after actually doing the conversion and didn't verify the numbers with the actual installed parts. I guess you're the first to do the conversion since the revision was published...sorry you had to be the guinea pig.

If the Euro cluster doesn't have an MIL, you should determine if all fault triggers, split between MIL and GP light in NA models, are combined into the GP light. Unplugging the MAF and driving for a few minutes should be a sufficient test (triggers the MIL in NA clusters). This assumes that Euro models don't use a remote MIL.

As to your ambient air temp, did you trace the two wires back to pins G1/2 and G2/2 of the relay panel? Neither my '96 nor '97 (US-spec.) had a connector on the end of those wires..they were unstripped and taped together.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old May 29th, 2006, 22:11   #39
robertgalka
Veteran Member

I think the part number for the four pin plug is 1H0 953 634. I will have to unplug the MAF and see what happens with the GP light.

I am pretty sure I found the correct wires for the ambient air tems, I will have to check again. It's hard to see with that birds nest of wires in the way. The wires are red/white and brown/white and they are short. My car was an early tdi, it was made in 10/95. Maybe the later ones are different.

One other thing is the Euro clusted didn't have any pins in the RH back plug. The plug just plugs in to the plastic without doing anything. There is only one one wire in that plug anyway.
Old May 29th, 2006, 23:19   #40
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgalka
One other thing is the Euro clusted didn't have any pins in the RH back plug. The plug just plugs in to the plastic without doing anything. There is only one one wire in that plug anyway.
Then you only have partial fault indication capability, if any. That single wire in the 2nd 28-pin connector is the MIL signal. To remedy, you'll have to add the MIL LED, resistors and signal wire (pin 26) to the cluster. If the PC board of the Euro cluster is pretty much the same as the NA cluster, hopefully everything will work correctly. If not, you'll have to trace the PC circuit to the desired bulb location, or add a remote LED.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; May 30th, 2006 at 06:27.
Old June 26th, 2006, 20:23   #41
jnxtheband

has anyone done this with an A3? The 2.0 GTI's used an mfa cluster which also had a 140mph speedo which would make it a good candidate for this I would think.
jnxtheband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:01   #42
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Yes I have, but with a GLX VR6 cluster. There is an issue of a change in warning light circuitry configuration in, IIRC, '96, so a later MY cluster should be used.

The conversion is very similar to the B4 but A3s are missing some additional wires & harness connector pins that must be added.

Missing cluster & relay panel connector pins & wires between cluster and relay panel:
  • Cluster pin 6 - MFA controller switch - goes to pin 8 of the U2 connector on relay panel.
  • Cluster pin 15 - MFA controller switch - goes to pin 4 of the U2 connector on relay panel.
  • Cluster pin 17 - oil temp. sensor - goes to pin 1 of the U1 connector on relay panel.
  • Cluster pin 19 - outside air temp. sensor - goes to pin 2 of the U1 connector on relay panel.
  • Cluster pin 1 - outside air temp. sensor - goes to pin 7 of the U1 connector on relay panel.
Missing cluster and ECM connector pins & wire between cluster and ECM:
  • Cluster pin 26 - Fuel consumption signal - which connects to ECM pin 9. This wire goes directly from cluster to ECM without passing through the relay panel.
Note that the above list does NOT include the missing 4-wire harness that runs between the MFA controller switch and relay panel.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; May 16th, 2007 at 11:07.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:02   #43
Dizel Mork
Veteran Member

I've swapped a euro cluster in my A3, and i'm wondering if anyone knows where the purple fuel consumption wire can be found in the fuse box? (or where ever else it may be)
1999 Jetta TDI (A3) 2.0l, custom FMIC, 12mm fuel pump, .216 injectors, straight pipe exhaust, Neuspeed/bilstein, fuel cooler, side mount oil cooler, dieselgeek short shifter, custom clutch, custom turbo (25psi), 17.1:1 CR, custom chip
Dizel Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 19:26   #44
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Default Revised B4 MFA article and article CORRECTIONS

The wire (lilac/white) goes directly from pin 28/26 of the cluster to pin 68/9 of the ECM without passing through the relay panel or anything else.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; December 4th, 2006 at 07:17.
Old December 16th, 2006, 19:54   #45
ninedee_golf_tdi

Sometimes it's hard to see the forest because all the trees are in the way. When we retrofit a tdi motor into a glx chassis and use the original glx cluster, all we have to do is add the glow plug led and ?
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote