www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 9th, 2009, 05:30   #151
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Cluster identification is easier than that, cluster installed or out: '95 and earlier has 2 visible screw heads securing the speedo face and the speedo starts at 10 MPH, '96/'97 have no screws and the speedo starts at 0 MPH.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; September 9th, 2009 at 05:54.
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:32   #152
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell
Cluster identification is easier than that, cluster installed or out: '95 and earlier has 2 visible screw heads securing the speedo face and the speedo starts at 10 MPH, '96/'97 have no screws and the speedo starts at 0 MPH.
I like that speedo MPH differnace.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:06   #153
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING
I currently have a 96 Passat 5spd VR6 cluster to replace the dead cluster from my Passat TDI. In test drive with a GPS, the speedo is almost identical. The odo showed a 0.1 mile difference in a 10 mile drive. The tach is reading very low. Where is the sensor for the tach in the Passat TDI and in the VR6 5 spd gasser?
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:17   #154
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljunkie
I currently have a 96 Passat 5spd VR6 cluster to replace the dead cluster from my Passat TDI. In test drive with a GPS, the speedo is almost identical. The odo showed a 0.1 mile difference in a 10 mile drive. The tach is reading very low. Where is the sensor for the tach in the Passat TDI and in the VR6 5 spd gasser?
you need to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread. There are instructions that explain what tach pulse signal convertor to use.
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:59   #155
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hence the expression, "That GLX looks fast just sitting still"
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:11   #156
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Red face

Quote:
you need to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread. There are instructions that explain what tach pulse signal convertor to use.
I have read the first post in this thread where the pulse freq adapter was mentioned as one way to correct the tach reading. However, I did not find any mention of where the tach signal actually originates from. I know Chris did a lot of work on the writeup and I have no doubt his instructions are correct. But I like to understand how things work rather than just following a set of instructions.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:42   #157
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

I found this rpm sensor for the 96-97 VR6 Passat. Also known as Engine speed sensor or crankshaft position sensor.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...ectrical/182/3

I did not find a RPM sensor for the Passat TDI listed though. So what signal is driving the VR6 cluster's tach in my Passat TDI? Why is it reading low? Anyone???
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:02   #158
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljunkie
I found this rpm sensor for the 96-97 VR6 Passat. Also known as Engine speed sensor or crankshaft position sensor.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...ectrical/182/3

I did not find a RPM sensor for the Passat TDI listed though. So what signal is driving the VR6 cluster's tach in my Passat TDI? Why is it reading low? Anyone???
I don't know what the drive is on a TDI. It could be the crank position sensor or the 3rd injector but I know that 4 cylinder tachs will only read correctly with 4 cylinder cars and the same with 3,5,6 cylinders. If you swapped in a 4 cylinder gasser cluster you would be fine.
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:48   #159
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't know what the drive is on a TDI. It could be the crank position sensor or the 3rd injector but I know that 4 cylinder tachs will only read correctly with 4 cylinder cars and the same with 3,5,6 cylinders. If you swapped in a 4 cylinder gasser cluster you would be fine.
Anyone know where the tach signal originates from in the Passat TDI? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:59   #160
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

The RPM sensor in the lower block drives the tach, via the ECM. A second RPM signal from the "W" terminal on the alternator is used by the ECM.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:04   #161
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell
The RPM sensor in the lower block drives the tach, via the ECM. A second RPM signal from the "W" terminal on the alternator is used by the ECM.
Lower block? Where exactly? Is it a one per rev signal?
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:41   #162
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Forget the RPM sensor; the TDI and VR6 sensors have the same pulse rate per cylinder (thus the 33% lower tach reading for a GLX cluster in a TDI).

If you're looking for a no cost alternative to installing the pulse frequency adaptor, there actually is one which I included in previous versions of the conversion article but removed for the current revision.

When I originally did the conversion 10 years ago, there wasn't at that time a robust, versatile-input signal interface with enough adjustability on the market and so I made a graphic overlay for the tach face. It rendered the tach accurate, but had a narrower sweep that was a bit harder to read at a glance. Its a bitmap file that you can print out on an adhesive-backed mailing label and install easily. I can email it to you if you're interested.

'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; September 16th, 2009 at 11:51.
Old September 16th, 2009, 13:19   #163
dieseljunkie
Veteran Member

Please send the bitmap file. I'll be pm'ing you.
Old October 5th, 2009, 18:09   #164
jonhohlf

Exclamation

Chris,

I see the instructions for this are currently unavailable? I need to do this for my sister's B4V GLX TDI, I could copy what I had done for mine (but that would involve removing my additional teardown of my working cluster, and it would be much easier to just follow the instructions as they were posted). I have the Dakota Digital converter and will be using an old TDI cluster for parts and have all the resistors that I will need leftover from when I did my conversion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

96 B4V GQ RC3 with PP520's and MFA conversion
94 90 CS Quattro Sport
76 Maverick Stallion 302 3Spd
59 Ranchero 292 3Spd O/D
85 XJ700XN Maxim X
86 GS550ES

jonhohlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 19:53   #165
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

I'm sorry and embarassed to say that I accidently deleted the article and never backed it up, so unless there's some way to recover it, its gone and won't be replaced
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio