www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old February 19th, 2005, 13:59   #1
midmitvguy

Fuel Economy: 43mpg
Default Biodiesel on Car Talk 2/19/2005

Hey anybody checkout the caller from CA about getting a car to run biodiesel in?
midmitvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 14:14   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Default Re: Biodiesel on Car Talk 2/19/2005

Yep, a female listener from Berkley wanting to buy an old Mercedes 2 seater and run it on bioDiesel and be able to use the HOV lanes on the highway. She referred to the car as a "450SEL" (V8, LWB, passenger gasser sedan). She thought is was a 2 seater...Oh, well.

Minor problem: Mercedes Benz didn't produce the 450SL (2 seater conv.) with a diesel engine.

Not quite sure why the boneheads didn't/couldn't set her straight on this oversight.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 17:56   #3
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

You know the creative types..just because MB didn't make a car in that configuration doesn't mean someone didn't roll their own.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 19:30   #4
Brian24
Veteran Member

The caller also seemed to have a common misunderstanding about biodiesel. Many people don't understand there is a difference between biodiesel and straight vegetable oil. She talked about "converting" the vehicle to run on bio. Of course only straight vegetable oil requires a vehicle conversion. Bio doesn't (except for fuel hoses on some older vehicles).
I have run into this before. It could be hurting the aceptance as people don't want to hassle with a conversion to run bio.
Brian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 23:10   #5
McBrew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/50/44 (usually running B100)

Geez... 450SEL is, as dieseldorf stated, a big sedan -- with a 4.5 liter V8 engine (unless it was the rare 5.0 liter or the very rare 6.9 liter). She probably meant either the 450SL was the two-seater convertable, or the 450SLC coupe. Both of which are also gassers, of course.

I only heard the end of car talk this morning... they didn't pick up on her error?
McBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:38   #6
jkeller
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/43/41

No. It was pathetic. They just went right along with her... "oh yeah, great car, you should get one"

And they really screwed up on the Bio vs. SVO/WVO thing. I almost ran off the road yelling at the radio...
jkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 18:34   #7
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
I almost ran off the road yelling at the radio...
And Click and Clack are very vocal opponents of Cell phones in cars. It's funny that their show can cause people to have violent reactions when listening to them, thereby causing a hazard. That is the reason I quit listening to them. I would get ticked off at them and become a hazard while driving. And it's not good for my blood pressure.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 22:33   #8
Bio-Beetle
Veteran Member

I listened to it and thought it was nothing special.

You can listen to the show on-line at http://www.cartalk.com and notice that they have a link about biodiesel on their home page that takes you to http://www.cartalk.com/content/eco/f...tml#biodiesel. At least they're not anti-biodiesel
Bio-Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 20:17   #9
tadc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/37

Typical Car Talk ignorance. That show ought to run a disclaimer... "Warning, for entertainment purposes only"
tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 21:34   #10
ericy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Typical Car Talk ignorance. That show ought to run a disclaimer... "Warning, for entertainment purposes only"
I suppose we could all write in and complain. If you start out the letter with "Dear Knucklehead" they might even read it on the air .
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:06   #11
wheels
Veteran Member

I wrote to ***** about their biodiesel section and the tree hugging factor crap. I checked again this week and it seems to have been updated (tree hugging factor is still there but the page looks different and has more info, I think. Can anyone confirm or is my ego writin' checks the facts can't support?
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 14:13   #12
ericy
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wrote to ***** about their biodiesel section and the tree hugging factor crap. I checked again this week and it seems to have been updated (tree hugging factor is still there but the page looks different and has more info, I think. Can anyone confirm or is my ego writin' checks the facts can't support?
I looked yesterday, and I did notice the biodiesel section. More than I was expecting, I guess.

What I would still love is a short paragraph that explains the difference between BD and SVO. This has to be close to the top of the list of misconceptions about BD that people have. It doesn't need to be complicated - just enough so that people understand that they cannot go out and get 5 gallons of oil from KFC and dump it in the tank (or more precisely that they need to modify their vehicle if they want to do this).
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote