www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 18th, 2005, 10:40   #1
apetrovic

Default Hazard Switch Replacement

Well dropped off a friend last night and pressed the hazards to warn other drivers, one blink then nothing. Not to mention the times when I press the turn signal and hear a buzz before it engages. I assume this is the Hazard switch. I hopped online and found there was a recall for 200-2002 Jettas and Golfs, called the dealer to check my vin and do the repair, turns out my car is not included in the faulty hazard switch recall (I own a 2000 Jetta, how is this possible, I'm not in the club?). Frustrating! So here I am seeking out help on how to replace the hazard switch. Has anyone done this? I have a Chilton manual and there is no information on this process. Thank you.
apetrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 16:50   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Very easy. First get your new switch. They are only about $25. Dealers typically stock them.

It'll pry straight out of the dash, but I have found it easier to pry out the blank next to it (or driver's power seat switch if your car is so-equipped). Then you can reach a finger in behind the hazard switch, and pop it and its wiring connector straight out. Unplug the connector, swap the switch, plug the connector back in and snap the new switch back into the dash. A nice little hook or pick is helpful, be careful not to scratch the plastic trim.

Takes about two minutes.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 16:52   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

An alternate method is to take and drill a hole straight into the switch, right in the middle of the button, then use a pick in that hole to yank the switch out!
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 20:35   #4
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

Quote:
An alternate method is to take and drill a hole straight into the switch, right in the middle of the button, then use a pick in that hole to yank the switch out!

crude.....but effective. Kind of like spearing a stuck oil filter to remove it.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote