www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 16th, 2005, 07:42   #1
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Default Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standards

Just when you were getting comfortable with the new PD engine oils, VAG does it again!!

Quote:

Volkswagen standard (releases)

VOLKSWAGEN 504.00 and 507.00 describe formulated low SAPS oils special - engine oils with small sulfur, phosphorus and sulfate ash portion. Particularly for the new models with WIV and EURO4 petrol engines and/or diesel engines with soot particle filter.

-- Motul

Quote:

VOLKSWAGEN gives oil standard some lubricant manufacturers releases for the new Diesel specification 507.00 and the new specification 504.00 for Otto engines gave. The Wolfsburg manufacturer published no details to the new engine oil standards still.

The new products "Shell Helix Ultra VX" and "Vapsoil 507 00" are applicable according to manufacturer in all vehicles of the company marks with Longlife service. It is mixable and on all valid extended oil change intervals (WIV) laid out with all usual oils. Besides provide the special additives - particularly suitably for the employment in direct injecting FSI engines for less abrasion at the highly loaded construction units and is at the same time appropriate for the use of soot particle filters.

In the context of the co-operation of Volkswagen AUDI partner service (VAPS) and Shell VAPS besides the Shell product will drive out.

Also, the new Castrol SLX LongLife III received the appropriate after-sales releases according to data of the lubricant producer after VOLKSWAGEN 504.00 and 507.00. The lubricant with "Clean performance Technology" on basis of a formulation of low ash is aligned to the requirements of diesel engines with particle filter, however according to manufacturer even for further models will in particular be applicable.

dieseldorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:05   #2
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy
Default Re: Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standards

Too bad we can't find it here in the states like they can in Europe. Not easily at least.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:13   #3
dieseldorf
top post dawg

J, this stuff is newer than new....I am not certain it's really ready for sale, even in Europe.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:40   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Shell was involved in the developement of a new engine test for VAG on these two new specs. It is very rigourous in that it permits no more than 50% ash build up within the DPF over a certain time when utilizing a low SAPS* oil.

*low sulphated ash, phosphorous and sulphur content
Old February 16th, 2005, 20:47   #5
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (501k miles)

Quote:
Too bad we can't find it here in the states like they can in Europe. Not easily at least.
We don't need it, because our TDIs don't have particulate filters. Perhaps in 2007, though, as that may be the only way to get new diesels in the CARB states.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:24   #6
dieseldorf
top post dawg

not today, but if diesels are still for sale in a few years, we'll surely have the DPFs fitted.
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:30   #7
philh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/44/37

Quote:
not today, but if diesels are still for sale in a few years, we'll surely have the DPFs fitted.
...and rest assured that VW will have yet another oil that you can only (according to them) buy at the dealer!
philh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:40   #8
dieseldorf
top post dawg

at some point VW will consolidate all their oil standards so there aren't so many "decisions"...it's confusing for everyone..dealers, owners and independant shops.
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:22   #9
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Quote:
at some point VW will consolidate all their oil standards so there aren't so many "decisions"...it's confusing for everyone..dealers, owners and independant shops.
exactly. VW is at the cutting edge of diesel oil technologies. without engine, oil and fuel innovation diesels will disappear.

instead of getting bent out of shape about new VW oil specs, try smiling and being thankful that the company you support is constantly trying to balance diesel efficiency, real environmental concerns, and an excellent driving experience.

also, consider that you've bought a european car - primarily designed for europeans - which IMO is great. europeans are expected to be more aware of their automobile's needs.

Fred's is a TDI enthusiasts site and while a little "whining" about having to use an advanced OEM oil spec. is expected, the volumes and volumes of whining on this website amazes me.

If there's a record in the guiness book of world records for "most whiny posts in an auto enthusiasts forum" I bet the TDIclub Fuels and Lubricants forum has it!

And we're whining about technology enabling oil specifications
SUNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:33   #10
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:

instead of getting bent out of shape about new VW oil specs, try smiling and being thankful that the company you support is constantly trying to balance diesel efficiency, real environmental concerns, and an excellent driving experience.

A-MEN !!

(I'd much rather deal with an lubricant that's been developed around a specific powerplant vs. resorting to the API lowest common denominator philosophy.)
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:12   #11
Dan_Ruddock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Jetta GLS
Fuel Economy: 48

Quote:

Nonsense! Cars should be designed to be able to run oil off the local parts store shelf or in other words be idiot proof. The dealers can't even get it right how do expect John Q public to not screw up his car. I manufacture a electro mechanical product myself and I deal with people who refuse to read my instruction sheet and screw things up (check my bio). Honda and Toyota build cars with a broad range of oils that can be used and there engine don't fall apart. Yes I realize they don't build turbos and if they did I am sure they would probably recommend synthetic oil which can be found anywhere. I too am like you guys and want to take the best care of my car, I just ordered a case of 10-40w amsoil hp AMO but the general public is not like us. I think VW's ultra specific oil spec is hurting VW not helping. Dan
Dan_Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 18:06   #12
TooSlick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi 100S
Default Re: Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standa

DD,

These new VW specs correspond roughly to the new ACEA, "C2" specification for low viscosity, low SAPS engine oils. This is the new trend in Europe, where the additive content of engine oils has become a major contributor to exhaust emissions with the advent of very low sulphur fuels. Some of the new aftertreatment, emissions systems are also easily degraded from burning various chemical compounds.

TS
TooSlick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 18:13   #13
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Default Re: Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standa

Yes, there's been a lot written about this new standard recently.

Quote:
C2

Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a HTHS higher than 2.9 mPa.s.

These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicle's fuel economy.
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:05   #14
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Dan, I'm happy to agree to disagree with you, but you wrote:

Quote:
Cars should be designed to be able to run oil off the local parts store shelf or in other words be idiot proof.
followed by...

Quote:
I manufacture a electro mechanical product myself and I deal with people who refuse to read my instruction sheet and screw things up
why didn't you just make your "electro mechanical product" idiot proof?

some people have PD manuals that actually specifying 505.00 oil, and for this VW has no excuse, but for everyone else who purchased a european car with a high tech diesel engine and has not read through the manual...

just think Dan, do you really want to live in a world where engine and emissions developments are limited by the oils on the shelves of Wal-Mart?

if so, let's just leave this as agreeing to disagree. personally, i want VW to constantly be pushing the envelope. i want the car of tomorrow to be cleaner, more-efficient and faster than the car of today and i'm happy to buy a high-tech application specific oil if necessary.
SUNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:29   #15
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
... i want VW to constantly be pushing the envelope. i want the car of tomorrow to be cleaner, more-efficient and faster than the car of today and i'm happy to buy a high-tech application specific oil if necessary.

the demands on ALL oils will continue to increase. We will be see more of the mfr. spec'ed oils and fluids.

Take a look at the Euro4 regulations coming into force and the new standards for the US beginning in 2007. Oil is being asked to do far more than it had to ten years ago. That's quite apparent. Generic standards just aren't going to cut it.