www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:24   #1
y2kbird
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-50mpg
Default Help! Cannot spin flywheel to find Timing mark

2003 jetta 5 speed, we can't turn the flywheel enough from the top via screwdriver to find the timing mark. It does spin a little in each direction (something is preventing us from turning it further)

The cam locking tool is in place, the injector pump pin is in place, and the timing belt is loose.

We had found this mark a few hours ago (and the car started up fine) but we decided to re-do everything because the injection pump bolts were not centered, and we were worried we would not have enough movement to fully set the timing.

EDIT: Resolved this issue by spinning the harmonic balancer bolt from below.

Last edited by y2kbird; April 21st, 2013 at 11:37.
y2kbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:57   #2
AndyBees
Veteran Member

EDIT: Either I didn't see your edit or composed and posted later .............Anyway, I'm glad you solved the problem!

If the Cam plate is in place, IP Pin in place and you cannot see the TDC mark on the Flywheel even after moving it in either direction................ Wow! You are probably bad off time with the Crankshaft.

You really need a 12 point 19mm socket and power handle to rotate the crankshaft from the other end of the engine.

However, I'm thinking at this point a piston is up against a Valve............ that's why you cannot turn it anymore............ at least in one direction.

Lastly, I assume you have the TB lower cover on and cannot see down in there. There's a slim possibility that the "loose" TB is wadding-up as you try to rotate the engine. (I sort of doubt this, but you may want to rule it out.)

I would have tried to set the timing with VCDS before tearing it back down. I've seen the IP bolts off center far enough that I had the same thoughts but it worked out okay.

Last edited by AndyBees; April 21st, 2013 at 12:59. Reason: Add comment
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote