MKV Jetta low beams not working, hi beams ok

wam

TDI
I would appreciate any help. I've checked fuses etc. Is there a fuse that's common to both low beams? I couldn't find anything in Bentley's that looked like a headlight relay. Are they internal to the ECM? Has anyone else had this problem?

Bill

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Check your bulbs. Believe it or not, one will cause the other not to work. I can not explain why. Ask me how I know;)

wam

TDI
unsoldered connector in switch

Thanks for the advice. I replaced one bulb, but I bought two so I'll try that next.

I took the headlight switch apart and found that the pins in the circuit board were all unsoldered! I soldered them, but to no avail.

evil8er2006

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi
I had this problem crop up on my 1995 Jetta a while back. The daytime running lights/headlights would go out for a while, then work again, go out, come back, etc. Cycling the headlight switch or emergency brake (pulling the brake handle turns off the DRLs) didn't help. After several trips to the shop in Charleston, SC, the solution was to change out the whole fuse box. Lights work great now. Now if I could only figure out why the intermittent setting on my windshield wipers don't work...

wam

TDI
yikes!

I hope I don't have to replace the entire fuse panel!

My car has the automatic mirror and and rain sensitive wipers. If I put the light switch in the "coming home" position, the DRLs and low beams function automagically. Could the rain / light sensor be causing my problem?

wam

TDI
When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra

The prize goes to 04slvrjetta....

Both headlights out

Replace left bulb - both still out

consider and explore every outlandish possible cause and waste three days

install right headlight bulb - left still out, right now works

inspect left housing, find bent contact, straighten - both headlights now work.

Thanks everyone for your help.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The A5 Jettas, especially the earlier ones, often have poor connections at the headlight connectors. Taking a small pick and carefully squeezing each contact closer together seems to help.