Alh dyno numbers

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I got to put my car on a dyno today. Some people are guessing that the numbers were not accurate, based on my upgrades. I'd like to get your opinions if I could.
Upgrades:
Vnt17 turbo
Dlc 1019 nozzles
11mm pump
Malone stage 4 tune, 23psi
Upgraded intercooler
The dyno was unable to register engine rpm, so I used two equation. The first was to get my engine rpm from my speed. I just used an app on my phone to do it for me based on drive ratio, tire size, and a given speed. To find the torque, I used torque = hp x 5252 / engine rpm.
Dyno reported 155hp at 2250rpm
Math calculated 360 torque at the same rpm.
I have yet to get a dyno print.
Some people are claiming that isn't possible with my setup. Opinions?
After receiving a copy of the dyno sheet, I realize that I was wrong about my power outputs.
156hp at about 3000RPM
max torque was 298 at 2450 RPM

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
might be possible if they shocked the dyno. Do you have the curve

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Torque number seems high. Hp is reasonable. Rpm points are suspect. How much smoke? I am running a GTC1549VZ, race 520 and a 24 lb tune - 160 hp 285 lb/ft and no smoke. Same boost with more fuel 172 hp and 313 lb/ft

jfbsaratoga

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI
I got to put my car on a dyno today. Some people are guessing that the numbers were not accurate, based on my upgrades. I'd like to get your opinions if I could.
Upgrades:
Vnt17 turbo
Dlc 1019 nozzles
11mm pump
Malone stage 4 tune, 23psi
Upgraded intercooler

The dyno was unable to register engine rpm, so I used two equation. The first was to get my engine rpm from my speed. I just used an app on my phone to do it for me based on drive ratio, tire size, and a given speed. To find the torque, I used torque = hp x 5252 / engine rpm.

Dyno reported 155hp at 2250rpm
Math calculated 360 torque at the same rpm.
I have yet to get a dyno print.
Some people are claiming that isn't possible with my setup. Opinions?
You are doing more that 155 hp. When I dynoed my car, I needed to find a way to get the rpm off of the crank. My dyno guy put a piece of reflecting tape on the vibration damper. He then used a laser to get the rpm. My guess is you are doing at least 180hp.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
By way of comparison, the diesel power mag guys got 155 hp @2600 rpm and 328 ft-lb @2500 rpm with a kerma tune and pretty much the same physical configuration a while back.

Strangely similar to what you are seeing. (Curve probably looks similar too, check out this link) Wonder where they got that pump volts map, eh.

So back to the subject at hand: your HP/torque numbers are not unreasonable, RPM calculation may be a bit off though. Although in our case, they did start our run at 2500 rpm (which was a little late if you ask me, and they did not ask me) and if they had started lower, who knows?

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
My car smoked out the whole shop during the 2 back to back pulls. It was still hazy 10 minutes later. I'll post a link to the video after I get it uploaded to youtube.

My rpm calculations should have been within 50 rpm. The other day I tested multiple speeds before determining my drive ratio

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
By way of comparison, the diesel power mag guys got 155 hp @2600 rpm and 328 ft-lb @2500 rpm with a kerma tune and pretty much the same physical configuration a while back.
Strangely similar to what you are seeing. (Curve probably looks similar too, check out this link) Wonder where they got that pump volts map, eh.
So back to the subject at hand: your HP/torque numbers are not unreasonable, RPM calculation may be a bit off though. Although in our case, they did start our run at 2500 rpm (which was a little late if you ask me, and they did not ask me) and if they had started lower, who knows?
Yea, my chart did look similar

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Peak HP was at 2250 RPM? That doesn't sound right. What kind of dyno? And in what gear? Data from 3rd and 4th gear pulls will vary.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Why was the HP peak so low? Torque peak I'd understand at 2250, but HP peak should be at near redline.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Ok Everyone. Got my Dyno sheet back. I was wrong about where the power came in. I had read the report incorrectly at the dyno day. I didn't have very long to look at the sheet because we were trying to get through all the cars quickly.

Peak HP came in around 2900 RPM and stayed until around 3700 RPM.
Peak torque was only 298 at 2450 RPM.
I'm still happy with the numbers I put down.
Sorry to misinform everyone. I'll correct my original post

Last edited:

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
First off you really need the RPM hooked up to the engine so we have good numbers.
I just dyno mine this week on a Dynojet too.
I takes some work to hook up the inferred RPM sensor . I use it off the IP wheel and mounded it to the Beetle front Radiator support and we used a small piece silver tape on the wheel. If we mounted to the motor it would shake and give a bad reading.
here is mine
url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=114603&title=cng-dyno-pull&cat=500]
[/url]
my build is close to yours
We are running a N 17-22 turbo at 25 LB Boost, Power 520 injectors, 11 MM pump no lift pump,
stock compression. ported head,stock over size pistons and good rods,
the red line is with CNG added

Last edited:

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
1749vb is a fun turbo.

You can get more torque out of it with bigger nozzles..

I ran R520s with my old VNT17 + 11mm IP. Was a torque monster. Very fun for daily driving. Not so polite with smoke though :)

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Any dyno plots of that old VNT17? Love to see the dyno plot.
IIRC it was around 180hp and close to 400ft/lbs. It ate transmissions and tires like no tomorrow. 49mm wheel lights up fast :)

It was years ago when Jeff and Charlie worked together.

Highly recommended setup for a fun DD