Stage 2 cam effectiveness

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Results are in. They are a little disappointing. If I had to do it again, it is not worth the $300.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
You need a tune to take advantage of it.
My modified ALH vs just a stock ALH with a tune and injectors are totally different, the Stage II engine has way more under the curve and once up to say 55 mph, I never have to downshift going up a hill, even stupid steep ones, it just pulls like a tractor. On a recent road trip, I got 44 mpg with my foot to the floor, not bad for an auto, :D
I will be doing the same mods to my wagon as my black sedan but no cam, Geoff was on Holiday's when my T-belt broke so the stock cam stayed. I'll have a true back to back on the street but I am going to guess the Colt cammed engine will easily be the winner, ;)

jfbsaratoga

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI
You need a tune to take advantage of it.
My modified ALH vs just a stock ALH with a tune and injectors are totally different, the Stage II engine has way more under the curve and once up to say 55 mph, I never have to downshift going up a hill, even stupid steep ones, it just pulls like a tractor. On a recent road trip, I got 44 mpg with my foot to the floor, not bad for an auto, :D
I will be doing the same mods to my wagon as my black sedan but no cam, Geoff was on Holiday's when my T-belt broke so the stock cam stayed. I'll have a true back to back on the street but I am going to guess the Colt cammed engine will easily be the winner, ;)
I will email Malone again. He said no tune needed. Maybe the dyno graph will convince him or give him the insight to work up a new tune.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I will email Malone again. He said no tune needed. Maybe the dyno graph will convince him or give him the insight to work up a new tune.

Do you have a tune now or stock tune?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
No tune is required to use the cam. The cam is a breathing modification. It will lower EGTs and increase volumetric efficiency. A tune can be optimized to take advantage of these parameter adjustments in order to increase power, but since the cam doesn't adjust fueling you won't notice any significant effect on power.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No tune is required to use the cam. The cam is a breathing modification. It will lower EGTs and increase volumetric efficiency. A tune can be optimized to take advantage of these parameter adjustments in order to increase power, but since the cam doesn't adjust fueling you won't notice any significant effect on power.
You contradict yourself by saying no and yes, ;)

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I think the words "Stage Two" pretty clearly suggest that it's not meant to be a standalone mod, but rather part of a set of mods.

-mickey

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I have personally tested the colt stage 2 on Mark's ASV MK3 with a K03/k04. Unfortunately the motor was still fairly fresh and we were swamped so didn't get around to dyno testing it all. Still kicking myself over it, but will install a stage 2 in my PD at some point and do a thorough testing (unless someone local offers up first).

- Less smoke
- EGT drop of 100-150F driving hard
- Better boost control up top

We added a cat and cranked the fuel up, noticeable power increase above 3000 with less smoke and heat. Worth every penny.

Being a dynojet, those values are fairly useless unless it's on the same day. They are not accurate enough to be of much use outside of strapping a car on and tuning it. Definitely more to be gained once tuned, but as said above, not required.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
very interesting picture, the black coated cam looks like someone's used an old cam grinder trick, where you cut a groove in the lobes and fill them with hardfacing welding rod, to gain some wear resistance over the iron alone.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I'm surprised we aren't hearing much from the guys on the other side of the pond. Throwing the popcorn in for the stage 2/3 comparison.