The Garrett GT2052 aka "Look Ma, No Vanes!"

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
How do you think this turbo would work on a 1.6 IDI engine? Smaller displacement but they can rev a lot higher. I am thinking my Wife's Golf needs something better than the stock T3 it has now, it takes forever to get boost and EGT's are through the roof. A TD pump would help over the N/A one but still, boost sooner would be nice.

Thanks!

Brendan

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
It would be interesting to see how the 2052w would work on a 1.6! Installing it in your lightweight mk1 Rocco would make one fast little car!

How do you think this turbo would work on a 1.6 IDI engine? Smaller displacement but they can rev a lot higher. I am thinking my Wife's Golf needs something better than the stock T3 it has now, it takes forever to get boost and EGT's are through the roof. A TD pump would help over the N/A one but still, boost sooner would be nice.

Thanks!

Brendan

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
It would be interesting to see how the 2052w would work on a 1.6! Installing it in your lightweight mk1 Rocco would make one fast little car!

Well it's in my Wife's MKII Golf, the Rocco is getting a very high powered TDI. I just want the wifey's car to have a little passing power. ;)

Brendan

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Well it's in my Wife's MKII Golf, the Rocco is getting a very high powered TDI. I just want the wifey's car to have a little passing power. ;)
Brendan
Your wifey will have more than a little passing power, I hope she has a firm grip because the torque steer will wrench the wheel out of your hands!

Just moved into my new location in Pocasset, Massachusetts, for performing swaps, service and making more adapter kits :D

Once I swap in my 11mm pump I will report back with another dyno slip.

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Slightly off-topic, but what gear was used during that pull? 4th or 5th? Looks like the perfect turbo for a mTDI build :)

Ash

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Wish I could say the same about the stock GT1544S on mine. Doesn't fully spool up till 2200rpm and runs out of puff at 3500rpm. Pathetic little thing :rolleyes:

Have you thought about putting a different gearbox in there? I thought it was revving a bit on the high side, hence questioning which gear was used. Something like an ASD or CTN 'box.

Ash :)

GTiTDi

TDI
Yeah I meant CHA, I have been moving lots of parts lately too many trans codes going through my head

Wish I could say the same about the stock GT1544S on mine. Doesn't fully spool up till 2200rpm and runs out of puff at 3500rpm. Pathetic little thing :rolleyes:

Have you thought about putting a different gearbox in there? I thought it was revving a bit on the high side, hence questioning which gear was used. Something like an ASD or CTN 'box.

Ash :)

GTiTDi

TDI
I have decided to swap in an ALH 10mm pump rather than an 11mm. I don't want to lose fuel economy and considering how well my car performs with the 1Z pump, I feel as though the ALH pump will be a worthy improvement. I have to do the same mods to the harness and the pump bracket as I would with an 11mm pump swap, so If I decide to go with one of those I will be ready.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Why swap twice? Just do the 11mm and be done :). Only way you'll lose fuel economy with a pump swap is with a heavy right foot.

GTiTDi

TDI
Why swap twice? Just do the 11mm and be done :). Only way you'll lose fuel economy with a pump swap is with a heavy right foot.
It isn't like I have to pay someone to do the job twice! ;) If a 10mm pump will support 200 whp, what is wrong with trying one out? Plus, I have a 10mm ready to bolt on, my 11mm needs to be sent out for rebuilding....

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
It isn't like I have to pay someone to do the job twice! ;) If a 10mm pump will support 200 whp, what is wrong with trying one out? Plus, I have a 10mm ready to bolt on, my 11mm needs to be sent out for rebuilding....
Is the 11 leaking or clicking? If it has a bad QA, just put the 10mm one on there. Most pump problems are easily solved without an expensive rebuild :)

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
You've seen my dyno, the 10 mm can support 200 whp, though that is pushing it a little. Now with R520's being my limiter, if you don't want to go past that size, then put in the 11 mm and you'll be set I imagine.

GTiTDi

TDI
Is the 11 leaking or clicking? If it has a bad QA, just put the 10mm one on there. Most pump problems are easily solved without an expensive rebuild :)
I should have been more clear...I have a couple ALH 10mm pumps and an 11mm camplate, plunger and head from Chill...I need to send the guts and a 10 core out to be combined and tested. I have an ALH 10mm with low miles that I will just swap on for now. :D

Furthermore, my 1Z pump has some long hard miles on it...still runs great and will sustain high speeds however I specifically remember Jeff Rocketchip saying from what he saw on the logs my pump was "tired"...and that was in July of 2011!

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
You don't have turbo enough for an 11mm anyway so go ahead with the 10mm pump. I hope you are not expecting 200whp from a turbo struggling to supply 23lb/min of air?

GTiTDi

TDI
You don't have turbo enough for an 11mm anyway so go ahead with the 10mm pump. I hope you are not expecting 200whp from a turbo struggling to supply 23lb/min of air?
Struggling? Don't know how thin the air is in Norway but seems to work wonderfully here.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Read it again, at 23lb/min your turbo is choking, and that will never give you 200whp

GTiTDi

TDI
Read it again, at 23lb/min your turbo is choking, and that will never give you 200whp
Where did you come up with this? By reading Garrett's conservative graphs? If I were manufacturing turbo chargers I definitely wouldn't advertise their full potential since paying out warranties to people pushing them to the limit can get rather expensive. I find it odd that the biggest naysayer is the same guy pm'ing me to buy one of his turbos....

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would venture that if you went with an 11mm and 754s you'll be testing the engine's internals anyway. I think you'll see a nice bump with the 10mm. Maybe not 200 HP, but a nice bump. Keep in mind that DC's 200 HP was on a Dynojet, 3rd gear pull (I think I got that right--if not, please correct me). Not really comparable to the 4th gear pulls we did on the Mustang dyno in November.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
194/300 and 195/325 in 3rd and 4th respectively. I do recognize that most feel the Dynojet's read a little high is a consensus around here. Stock with PD130 intake and 2.5" exhaust yielded 86/155 on the same machine, so take your pick. It's higher than I was aiming, but not going to complain.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stock ALH on the Mustang (Lug_Nut's) did 73/140 or thereabouts. So I give the Dynojet 12-15% difference.

ejg3855

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z
I still have stock rods so at this point keeping it under 200hp is more sensible than blowing my engine up....

haha I just read through this whole thread and was curious what block you have. I am looking to get this turbo setup as well and have a 1Z block and am curious what internals I should use to be safe.

Also did you consider using the manifold whitebread uses that angles the turbo upwards?

Thanks

GTiTDi

TDI
haha I just read through this whole thread and was curious what block you have. I am looking to get this turbo setup as well and have a 1Z block and am curious what internals I should use to be safe.
Also did you consider using the manifold whitebread uses that angles the turbo upwards?
Thanks
I started with a 1Z block. I dressed up the stock connecting rods when I had it apart as I didn't have the money for aftermarket ones. I keep my timing less advanced (closer to the blue line) to keep PCP's down.

I didn't consider using whitbread's manifold as I was trying to keep costs down by using the stock exhaust manifold.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I started with a 1Z block. I dressed up the stock connecting rods when I had it apart as I didn't have the money for aftermarket ones. I keep my timing less advanced (closer to the blue line) to keep PCP's down.
I didn't consider using whitbread's manifold as I was trying to keep costs down by using the stock exhaust manifold.
I'm glad I'm not the only one worries about upgraded internals as a safety measure. I'm assured that the head gasket is comfortably safe up to ~32 psi, but call me paranoid, despite reassurance from a couple gurus, about how much the engine outputs compared to the overhead/margins allotted for when the engine was designed.