Help me understand my engine map (1.9L ALH) (Or I intend to do stupid things)

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Are there any traction control maps from the esp / traction control systems, remaining in the flash from ALH that has the option? My 2003 doesn't have it, and I'm glad, but maybe the potential additional maps can be repurposed...

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
I still don't understand how slip is being measured or estimated in that LC map as it only has VSS input and RPM and VSS measures wheel-speed not road-speed.

Ideally, a road-speed signal from the ABS unit (preferably max speed of an undriven wheel) would be checked against VSS to determine slip and then power limited at a variety of steps.

In our gas-powered (naturally aspirated car), we ran the rear abs sensors to a reluctor conversion box and made such a reference table with the VSS from the transmission. We then used progressively more aggressive power-reduction techniques as wheelsip increased past set thresholds.... Something like retarding ignition timing at 15% slip, cutting spark at 25%, more aggressively at 50%, etc, and finally fuel cut at 100%...

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I see your point. I don't know how it exactly works, but it does. Perhaps it does look at ABS wheel speed?
I have since removed that map, just using it to rev limit at a stop and reduce fueling for 1st gear only, because the traction control works so well that I never have to disable it, even in the snow or ice.

The best thing about diesels is that there's no need to worry about using timing /spark to do a smooth cut. It can be done by fueling alone, and no throttle plate closing means the turbo doesn't spin down as much as it would on a gasser with a plate/blowoff.

Enabled, the traction control seems to be running from the ABS pump itself. I think it sees when the wheel speed difference is above X and tells the ecu to cut fueling, like a limiter. The reason why I don't think it is in the ecu itself is because it doesn't need any recoding to recognize a swap of a pump to have the tcs ability.

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
Ah, OK, well my car does not have an ABS pump or ECU and from what i remember, the donor did not have traction control (2001 Golf TDI). So, I would have to build this all from scratch somehow.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are running the ve injection pump, you do have an ecu.

Our alh TDIs never had tc. It's done by swapping in the tc capable abs pump. IIRC the thread was called "traction control need a guinea pig".

Last edited:

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
Found the thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37354

Considering that none of the wiring or ABS hydro unit are installed in my car, this would be a ton of work and it is not clear that the traction control part of the ASR would work if the hydro-unit was not wired and plumbed into the system.

Wiring up 4 ABS speed sensors would be easy enough if I could just use the ECU portion of the unit and have the ASR control torque only rather than apply brakes. Not sure that is possible though.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
I would just make sure the ecu is on a 3 flashbank flash, and convert the automatic and 4x4 flashbank to be identical to the manual flashbank. Then test, tweak, and tune the launch control map until acceptable (hopefully) for each road condition. It's a bit of computer busy work, but I think it can be done well enough.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
The TC of the pump only applies the brakes to the spinning wheel at below 25. Past that it tells the ecu to limit fuel on wheelspin.

Enabled has a good idea.
It's just difficult to clone the banks identical to not throw codes or act differently.

The auto map, for example, with same turbo, n75, fueling acts differently than manual in terms of lift off vnt control etc. I ended up trying to clone the sections by hex editing, which bricked my ECU once, requiring a bench flash! It's not fun and quite annoying. I don't recall what I had to do to rectify the situation, it required messing with section headers which are not easily found.

So, without going through that aggravation, you can use manual for the strongest surface settings, auto for the most slip surface (since the weaker boost control will actually help you from spinning tires too quickly), and if also 4x4 map, use that for the mid grip surface! Copy everything, but of course change the LC maps.

dowster

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH 5spd
Since I'm fairly inexperienced with this. I've been reading and editing the flash maps and stuff but I want to take a look at the EEPROM data. Right now I'm using the MPPS v13 cable that I got off of eBay. Will I be able to read the EEPROM data with the VAG Commander cable as I don't seem to be able to read it with the MPPS v13.

This the cable that I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400707037567?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
VAG EDC SUITE WITH RENAME MAPS CAPABILITY!!!!
https://www.wetransfer.com/download...dd2aca0389a14fcaa4110cc120150912205014/8460c1
Someone on ecuconnections modded Vagedcsuite with an ability to right click and rename maps!
Thank you Rob.
I haven't been on ecuconnections for a while. My car is right where I want it after over 30 flashes. Always happy to see and hear of new things.

Now looking for the right 335d with dpf problems. I'm already building a map list, and have a good idea what to do to it. I do have too many cars though.

That or get my contact in Europe to find a 320d or 330d engine and drivetrain to swap here.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I can confirm that EDCsuite works great with MSA15 ECUs. It doesn't label the bad hot start map or pump voltage but they are easy enough to find.

I am kinda confused with pump voltage and fueling. To increase fueling, we simply scale the map up by a fixed %? My understand is that pump voltage simply tells the ECU how long to push fuel after SOI.

Speaking of SOI, is it necessary to alter that or not? I left mine stock for now but I haven't touched fueling either since I have DLC1019s and have enough fuel to work with.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
Pump voltage is how big the adjuster is to fill the plunger before injection. It's not specific to after SOI, but it does change the injection window (which also changes when you change nozzles). It's also relative, for example having bigger nozzles would need the same voltage as smaller nozzles at low fueling, but need less voltage at higher fueling for the same actual IQ. Check this tuning guide here for a good analysis: http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102858#p102858
You can also compare 2 files that have the same injection pump but different nozzles, ex: ALH .184 vs ASV .205 and see a pattern.

As for the updated vagedcsuite:
It wasn't good anyway, he compiled it under an older version 1.3.5 which wasn't so good with VE TDI's. Some maps had way wrong factors and were incorrectly detected.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
Some tweaks to help speed warmup:

I found the map where you can adjust the amount the ecu advances timing based on temperature. Some newer ECU's like GN and PD ecu's, have many SOI maps, with different temperatures, but for those that don't have these, the soi map is 61402 in hex and this 60e4e, so it's 5b4 lower on my ecu, it's similar on the A4 msa15 damos- so just look for your SOI address, go down to unknown maps and look before that address.

See how the number is in factor of 1000 eg: 10000 means 10 degrees advance. It is limited by the SOI limiter map, which I have set to the max timing listed in the SOI map.

I'm using a lot of advance when cold under low loads, because it does not pose a problem of excessive cylinder pressure and because the combustion happens earlier, it helps keep the heat inside the cylinder (as more SOI does).
Also shown is the dynamic egr map, which is factor 10, 488 would mean +48 to the egr map (more air, less egr). When cold, too much egr makes a smoky and/or shaky idle.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You guys are are my HEROES! Damn! I knew somebody would make this kind of thing available to those of us whose income doesn't depend on engine mods...
I am fairly tech savvy, I used to write code but it has been almost 20 years. I don't know if this is a simple ( in terms of me doing it and not ruining something) but I would like for my idle requested boost and actual boost to match. I believe at some level it might spool a little better that way. I have a 17/hybrid turbo going to be built in a couple of months, and at present I have .205 nozzles. My car has a basic 4 year old tune that has been working well for a VNT-15 with .205 nozzles. I have read about tuners getting way more than 120hp with .205s and 15 series turbos. My point is I know I can't max out my nozzles by crazy lowering my IQ and still have nice drive ability too. Will someone please direct me to where to find this information? Thank you in advance. NT

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Guess I should have specified that I have an 03 ALH so I should be able to pull the ECU file from the obd2 port right?

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Hmm, ok. I've been trying to use ME7 flasher to read the ecu and pull the file however I always get a "failed to open channel" error. Is there another program I can use to read the ECU or am I stuck with trying to make ME7 work?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I have to pull the number 11 (iirc) fuse, the one for the gauge cluster, it is a 5A fuse on the top row, there are two next to eachother, the one that is next to a blank spot is the one to pull, the other 5a one just does the odometer and clock.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys are are my HEROES! Damn! I knew somebody would make this kind of thing available to those of us whose income doesn't depend on engine mods...
I am fairly tech savvy, I used to write code but it has been almost 20 years. I don't know if this is a simple ( in terms of me doing it and not ruining something) but I would like for my idle requested boost and actual boost to match. I believe at some level it might spool a little better that way. I have a 17/hybrid turbo going to be built in a couple of months, and at present I have .205 nozzles. My car has a basic 4 year old tune that has been working well for a VNT-15 with .205 nozzles. I have read about tuners getting way more than 120hp with .205s and 15 series turbos. My point is I know I can't max out my nozzles by crazy lowering my IQ and still have nice drive ability too. Will someone please direct me to where to find this information? Thank you in advance. NT
Check this document out to learn what you can tune.
http://www.freetuningfiles.com/files/VP37%20remap%20guide.pdf

It's not about maxing out nozzles, but to find the level at which you have a tiny bit of smoke. That means you are using all the air available. With maf based tune this is not hard but requires a lot of tweaking and testing.

Last edited:

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, ok. I've been trying to use ME7 flasher to read the ecu and pull the file however I always get a "failed to open channel" error. Is there another program I can use to read the ECU or am I stuck with trying to make ME7 work?

I use an MPPS v13, which I have flashed over 60 times through OBD on VWs, BMWs, and other cars. Works just fine, and does checksums for modules that you may not have software for.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I tried pulling fuse #11, also tried #5 as well since thats the other gauge fuse with no luck. Still the same failure to open channel error. ME7 will work right? Could drivers be an issue despite the fact that I can get vccds lite to work?

Enabled: You're meaning the MPPS module not just the software right?

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried pulling fuse #11, also tried #5 as well since thats the other gauge fuse with no luck. Still the same failure to open channel error. ME7 will work right? Could drivers be an issue despite the fact that I can get vccds lite to work?

Enabled: You're meaning the MPPS module not just the software right?

Yes, cable and software. What are you using? Some MK4's need the instrument cluster fuse pulled... I'm not sure if that is what you are pulling.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
# 11 is the instrument cluster fuse afaik, when I pulled it the cluster stopped working. I'm using an ebay special KKL VAGCOM 409.1 cable.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
# 11 is the instrument cluster fuse afaik, when I pulled it the cluster stopped working. I'm using an ebay special KKL VAGCOM 409.1 cable.
And with what software?

I have modded an old Galletto application to work with a KKL cable, but Galletto is junky compared to MPPS.
I also have a CarProg that will read it, but still prefer MPPS. And yes it is a clone, and it works fine.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you can't use the vagcom cable to flash, you need a different one.
I got stuck on that one for a long time and gave up on the thing a few times.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Ah, that explains it. I had just assumed that one OBD2 cable was the same as another.

Enabled: I was trying to use ME7 flasher to read the ecu. After [486] posted about the cable I did a bit of searching and found this http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3138.0title= it says that if you use a USB-serial driver it should work however after switching to the serial driver it still refused to work.
I guess I'll just have to buy another cable. Thanks for both of your help.