Possible TDI Purchase

Cobrargc

TDI
2013 Jetta
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and seriously considering the purchase of a Jetta TDI or Passat TDI. I’ve owned Ford Powerstroke diesels, so I have some knowledge of the diesel world, including the 40-50 cent more per gallon that diesel cost locally. I love the torque and fuel economy of a diesel, but I’m not sure if I want to get back in. I’ve always been a staunch American car buyer and this would be my 1st purchase of an import. I rode in and drove several VW diesel products while on a business trip 10 years ago in Germany. It seems like a large portion of the German car/truck market has been diesel powered in Europe for many years and they really have the diesel engines down to a science. I have a few questions though.
  • I’ve been looking the forum over for a while and noticed the older TDI’s tend to get the better mileage. Is this due to the ongoing emissions on the newer cars? If so, what a shame!
  • Locally the price of diesel is about 12-15% higher than gasoline. Would the additional fuel expense nearly offset the better fuel mileage of a diesel?
  • How is winter starting? It will be garaged at home, but parked outside at work.
  • What is maintenance like? I’ve turned my own wrench for years and do so for part of my living. I’ve heard that VW designs their cars to be unfriendly to the do-it-yourselfer.
  • Automatic or manual equipped? Does the better mileage go to the manual?
  • The Passat’s are assembled in the states and the Jetta’s in Mexico?
  • Which is a better car? My wife and I are empty nesters with a grandchild in a car seat from time to time. The Passat appears bigger than the Jetta, but gets a tad better mileage??
  • Finally, what are the things I need to look out for? I think every manufacturer has pro’s and con’s. What do I need to know about VW diesel ownership? I plan to spend some time this afternoon looking at them at a local dealership. These cars a fairly sought after and good deals are few and far between, correct?

rex_1_mn

Veteran Member
TDI
05 PD Golf GLS Manual
I drive an 05 Golf 4 dr and dont have alot of knowledge on passats. Somone else will.

I too am an american car guy although GM not ford. I was looking for a car with great mileage and enjoy most things that diesel has to offer.

1. The older cars to tend to get better mileage the 2000-2003 jettas and golfs are good for an honest 50 if not at WOT all the time. The 04-06 PD's are good for an honest 43-44. I am not sure about the newer but I believe lower fourties is the honest number.

2. Yes it will offset most cars until you approach 40 mpg in a gasser.

3. Winter starting in general is great. Some 04-06's came from the factory with ceramic GP's that had a tendancy to fall apart in the cylinder and grenade the engine so there was a recall issued. Most cars start poorly from a botched recall so now there is a recall on the recall that seems to get most back to excellent winter starts down to -30F.

4. Maintanance on my 05 has been great deffinantly not much worse than any other domestic. The TB can be tricky if you dumb. Get the right tools and follow the procedure and its not bad. Takes a few hundred in tools though.

5 I prefer manual. The 00 to 03's had awful autos the new ones are a little better. Man up and shift.

6. Most jettas and golfs are mexican. A few european i think.

7 Passat is bigger. dont know much about it. Go chainless i guess....

8 things to look out for are proper oils used in the 04-06 PD's they have some cam problems that are spotty and could be debated forever.

The Timing belt on these is the downfall of many a car. It needs to be changed on time with the right tools and parts and the right way. Dont beleive the previous owner on this without full records from a reputable shop.

Overall I am extremely happy so far with the 80K i have personally put on my golf. With that said if I was going to buy a new car now I would look at a chevy cruze eco and maybe a cruze diesel in a few months.

Have Fun
Tony

P.S. I am a member of many forums for many different things and this is the most helpfull by far. Its awsome.

jmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6MT
Fwiw, in my 11 Jetta, I see about 32-35 city, 40-43 interstate with cruise @ 80mph, and can get nearly 50 if i slow down

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Do not get a TDI if you are solely concerned with lowest costs. Get one because you like to drive it and it gets good fuel economy. Many other vehicles offer lower total cost of ownership, like the Cruse, Civic, Corolla, Prius, etc.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
See my comments below

I’ve been looking the forum over for a while and noticed the older TDI’s tend to get the better mileage. Is this due to the ongoing emissions on the newer cars? If so, what a shame!Yes the newer car get worse mileage in part due to the emmisions systems. They also are heavier with a more powerful engine. Your choice as to which has the greater effect.

Locally the price of diesel is about 12-15% higher than gasoline. Would the additional fuel expense nearly offset the better fuel mileage of a diesel?

That really depends on how much you drive, where, and how you drive and what you are replacing or comparing it too. My Jetta Sports Wagen is now pushing near 40 mpg for a 5 to 8 mile commute. My 03 Passat gasser will do the same commute at about 28 mpg. Based on today's price in NC, it would cost my an extra $5 a week to drive the passat. Diesel is $3.65 and regular is $3.35. Oh and I go home for lunch.
  • How is winter starting? It will be garaged at home, but parked outside at work.
Being in NC, I can't really comment on that but I have friends in Toronto with company Jetta TDIs that are not garaged and they have no issues.
  • What is maintenance like? I’ve turned my own wrench for years and do so for part of my living. I’ve heard that VW designs their cars to be unfriendly to the do-it-yourselfer.
If you're good and have time and are willing to learn, there are a lot of poeple on this site that can help you through most things. I decided to do the simple things myself, like oil changes, and pay someone else to do the more difficult things. I just don't have the time or space to get too involved.
  • Automatic or manual equipped? Does the better mileage go to the manual?
Look around on here and you'll find that the manual usually gets better mileage. Again it all depends on your driving habits.
  • The Passat’s are assembled in the states and the Jetta’s in Mexico?
Which is a better car? My wife and I are empty nesters with a grandchild in a car seat from time to time. The Passat appears bigger than the Jetta, but gets a tad better mileage??

It seems that the slight differences in engine and emmissions set ups do give the edge to the Passat in mileage. If I were looking at sedans, I would pay the extra for the Passat. It is a much nicer car than the Jetta sedan (IMHO). Plus you gain more rear seat room for the grandkids.
  • Finally, what are the things I need to look out for? I think every manufacturer has pro’s and con’s. What do I need to know about VW diesel ownership? I plan to spend some time this afternoon looking at them at a local dealership. These cars a fairly sought after and good deals are few and far between, correct?
Good deals are there if you're willing to look and possibly travel to get a better one. One thing that you'll have to determine is how is the VW service near you or is there a guru close by that can do the work. These new engines have only been in the states since the 09 model year, so the mechanics out there will probably have limited experience with them. Dealers and Guru both.

There are issues and since your on a TDI website, you will here more problems than good or great experiences. Read the posts of HPFP issues (Failure rates under 1%) and iced inter-cooler issues (seems better with the Passat). The more informed you are the better able to make your decision

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I have a few general comments.

1) You indicate you are willing to turn your own wrenches, so do so as much as you like. VWs aren't designed against DIYers since to do so would be the same as designing against their own dealer service personnel. They are different in a few aspects, but not really better nor worse compared to just about any other maker in the world. Just different. The upside to VW is that parts availablility for older cars seems to be better than other makers except possibly Mercedes.

2) The Mk4 generation of the Golf-Jetta-NB chassis started out with NB and Jettas being built in the Puebla Mexico plant and Golfs (Golves?) being shipped from germany. That changed, in 2001 or 2002 (not quite sure on exactly when) with the Golf being built in Brazil.

No one has been able to show any real difference in build or parts quality between the various sources of cars. I used to think that CV joints from Mexico were better than the ones that came from germany, but then I had to recall that there were 10 times more (yes, 10 times more) Jettas sold here than Golfs, so that would skew the perspective a bit.

3) Kjclow's comments on buying one are pretty accurate. Dealers will overcharge for a used one and the things they do for prep prior to the sale may or may not be OK. IMO, buying a used one is best when you get it as cheap as possible, from a private party, and assume that everything needs doing, particularly the timing belt unless it can be independently verified as having been recently done with good parts and by someone that knows what they are doing.

4) In general, if someone asked me if they should buy a TDI, and they have no history of working on cars, or haven't in the past shown an interest in wrenching, I reply, "if you have to ask, the answer is NO!" That is: no, german engineering isn't magic, the cars aren't perfect, and you will need to work on them.

Cobrargc

TDI
2013 Jetta
Well I finally did it. I drove my new '13 Jetta home Saturday. I bought a Moonrock Silver, base model with a manual transmission. I got it for 22K even. That was nearly 1K below the window sticker price. I hope I did alright. My question is on the extended warranty. I NEVER buy them and have been very fortunate throughout the years and not needed to have one. This being my first import, I thought it might be wise. I got the full blown platinum warranty from the dealer. It's not a VW warranty, but through someone else. It was $1600 and covers even wear parts if you can believe it. I have until the end of today to decide to keep it or cancel. What should I do? Is this worth keeping?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I bought one when we got the Golf but then decided against it. To each their own but with the couple I've purchased, they didn't pay off.

Why did you decide on the Jetta versus the Passat?

Cobrargc

TDI
2013 Jetta
I would rather have a Passat, but the Passat TDI's are tougher to find here in the Omaha area. When you do find one they are fully loaded and close to 35K. The Jetta appears to be about the same size as the Ford Taurus we are replacing. The Passat might be a bit bigger than the Taurus. The idea of an American built TDI would have been a bonus though.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, that explains it, you're on the wrong side of the river :p

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Cobrargc, Congrats on your new TDI!

The Passat TDI is in high demand, so finding a specific one without waiting a month can be difficult. I purchased mine from a dealer 300 miles away and have no regrets! You'll love yours too!

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'll be curious to see what happens when you actually have a wear item that needs replacing.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
It was $1600 and covers even wear parts if you can believe it. I have until the end of today to decide to keep it or cancel. What should I do? Is this worth keeping?

Have you actually read in the contract that wear items are covered? What wear items? Or was this what a salesman told you to make the sale?

Cobrargc

TDI
2013 Jetta
TDI was 22K + $279 handling charge.

I am going to read the fine print on the extended warranty.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
TDI was 22K + $279 handling charge.

I am going to read the fine print on the extended warranty.

Wow that is a good price Jetta:).They must have extra in stock

Good luck Tom

jjw1

TDI
Looking to buy 2012/13 Jetta TDI
I tried trading my 2011 Tacoma for a 2012 Jetta TDI. Like most dealers, they tried jipping me and they wanted me to pay $5k on top of trade in. $20.5k for a truck valued at $25k on trade in wasn't happening