Oil pump housing rebuild or replace

Watchdawg

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Quick qustion,
I noticed an oil leak at the front of my Jetta. Turns out the oil filter housing is leaking between the filter bracket and oil cooler. My car has 316,000km and I'm wondering if I should just get a whole new housing or replace all the seals in this one.
The car was in a minor front end collision, but the filter housing doesn't appear damaged. Is there anything inside these things that wears out, or is it mainly oil distrubtion for the sensors and filter?
Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
unless the housing is cracked, I would think you just need the rubber gasket on top of the cooler. IIRC there is a bottom oil cooler gasket as well.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
What Bob said. No moving parts (except oil and coolant flow), so gaskets dying would be the culprit if there are no cracks indicating housing failure.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I assume the title of your Thread should have said Oil Filter Housing Rebuild or Replace ....not "Oil pump" The oil pump is located in the bottom of the engine inside the oil pan at the front of the motor (timing belt end of the engine).

Agree......... probably just gaskets/O-rings. Pressure wash that area of the engine. Then take the car for a drive and see exactly where the oil is coming from. I pressure wash my engine about 4 times per year............ just don't drive into the car wash after running 20 miles at 85 mph........go in with a fairly cool engine!

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
the most common problem at that mileage is two seals... top and bottom oil cooler seals. Cheap and relatively easy to replace.