www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 20th, 2015, 20:26   #1
jhax
Veteran Member
Default Cassette deck acting goofy, heat to blame?

Good Evening Everyone,

I am having a slight issue with my cassette deck. I use a cassette to mono cable adapter, there are two brands, one is supposed to be better than the other based on the technology used so that may be one reason for the malfunction. After playing music for a while the cassette deck switches the tape from side 1 to side 2 and back to side 1 again and continues to play music. This will continue randomly and I am unsure as to why, I suspect it has to do with the stereo's amplifier creating too much heat causing it to malfunction. Other tan that I am having no other issues. What are some thoughts? Is this a normal occurrence?

Thanks,
Justin
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 21:08   #2
Smooth_Puddin

Just needs head cleaned. Go on eBay to buy the cassette that cleans and you should be good to go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-tape-c...item1e81f5aa17
Smooth_Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 21:18   #3
jhax
Veteran Member

Nice, ill give it a shot, guess im a little too young to remember these existing haha.
Old July 20th, 2015, 21:31   #4
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

What's a cassette?
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:18   #5
jhax
Veteran Member

This crazy thing post 8 track pre-CD.
Old July 21st, 2015, 16:59   #6
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Haha yeh, I was around when they were available new in the shops and the CD hadn't been invented! Only 44 as well
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 20:12   #7
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I have a few of the OEM radios and love the way they sound, much better than anything aftermarket I have found.

But I have to say, I am liking the Sirius/handsfree option on my aftermarket radio, I just wish the sound was worth a damn, even with the new Nakamichi speakers.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 21:55   #8
jhax
Veteran Member

I am very pleasantly surprised by the audio quality of the stock system in this car. I am actually blown away by it. I make it a strict rule to never use my phone at all while driving and I don't use my phone for music, in fact, the only game I play on my phone is called how long can your battery last. So far I am up to 6 days and 7 hours. I hate the repetitive regurgitated **** every radio station plays. So the only thing I would use on a new head unit is the aux jack to plug into my trusty zune and I figure why spend at least a hundred on the unit if I have a perfectly good one right now? I also enjoy the look of the tape deck, it suits my sunny disposition of current vehicular technology.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 05:28   #9
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

I don't blame you. I'm looking at taking the car somewhere to fix the audio so it's at least close to the stock radio sound. I put new Polk Audio speakers in the sedan and Clarion's in the old wagon W386 has and the sound is spectacular with the stock radio so the speakers are worth an upgrade. I have been over the wiring a few times and the adapter Crutchfield sends is correct, but for some reason the sound is terrible. Since it's the same with Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, and one other receiver, I have to believe it's something to do with matching components. But, not being an Audiophile, I have no idea what I'm doing other than replacing components. It's also a peripheral device, thus not critical, and I have more pressing things to spend money on right now. I also wish the aftermarket head units sat flush with the dash, I hate how they stick out.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:13   #10
jhax
Veteran Member

Once my speakers go, I plan on just upgrading the speakers and leaving the head unit alone, I wonder what results that will produce.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:03   #11
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Much better sound, to the point it's not worth waiting.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 15:29   #12
jhax
Veteran Member

Yeah, I understand that, but at this point I have a perfectly good working stereo and not the monies to spend on something I do not need if you smell what I'm stepping in.
Old June 14th, 2017, 12:07   #13
jhax
Veteran Member

Alright, zombie thread. I am trying to find a set of aftermarket speakers that will play very nicely with my stock stereo. I am assuming it is a 2ohm stereo with 20W RMS? I tried to find a part number for the stereo online with no luck. I think I am trying to find a medium and low frequency speaker, I don't need the tweeter since I am keeping the stock ones in my dashboard. I saw lupulin the third's post abut his JL audio speakers but I don't think he used a factory stereo since they are 4 ohm speakers. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Justin
Old June 14th, 2017, 16:11   #14
00013cave
Veteran Member

I have a GLX that I swapped an AHU into. Has the Bose sound system in it, but of course when I bought it it had an aftermarket radio/CD player because the original deck had been stolen from the previous owners. Finally found the OEM Bose deck that went with it. Now I can again listen to some of hundreds of cassettes I still have, the volume works properly and it sounds fantastic.
00013cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 17:44   #15
AlcoC420
Veteran Member

Cassette reversing mechanisms are usually triggered by tape tension; when the end of the tape is reached, the tape goes taut and the unit reverses. Does it randomly reverse on all of your tapes or just a few? You might try fast forwarding to the end and fully rewinding it to ease up any unevenness on the reel.

I still have a mountain of cassette tapes. They're 35 to 45 years old and the tape on many brands is rapidly degrading, but some still sound great. Yours may be suffering in the same way. Good luck and enjoy your listening.

Last edited by AlcoC420; June 14th, 2017 at 17:48.
AlcoC420 is offline   Reply With Quote