legit value of a modded 2002 Golf

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm thinking it's time to get rid of the Golf. Any ideas what these go for on the secondary market? I'm thinking the dealer will give me some token figure like $1000 for it - or less. What about a junkyard? I may send the Corrado there too - do places buy cars for parts?

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
I would suggest looking at lots of adds on craigslist or other used car sites as the going rate will vary greatly from area to area. You are more likely to get more for it selling it yourself, it can be a lot of work but you'll get way more for it than if you brought it to a dealer and traded it in. What's your reason for getting rid of it? If you can't get decent money or it you may be better off driving it untill it completly craps out and then part it out. Injection pumps, turbos, head, body parts, windows bumpers and other stuff will bring good money if working properly.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'm thinking it's time to get rid of the Golf. Any ideas what these go for on the secondary market? I'm thinking the dealer will give me some token figure like $1000 for it - or less. What about a junkyard? I may send the Corrado there too - do places buy cars for parts?
Can you provide a list of current mileage, overall condition, and mods?

My 03 with 200K miles in good condition had a value [dealer re-sale] between $6500 to $7000 (not including mods).

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
First, the Golf's have a higher resale value then the Jetta, the stationwagon and the buick er.....passat. They look better, have a better stock lighting configuration in the 4th generation and apparently it is easier to get in and out for heavier individuals. Bob appreciates that for his typical passengers :D.

That said, most mods will not bring significant enhanced value to a car that old. Some that will include: GTI Recaro Seats, R32 Seats, 3 Spoke steering wheel, with emphasis on R32 steering wheel and Arietta Rims. Six Speed Manual Transmission upgrade round out the group. Once you start with injectors, chips, deletes, intercoolers, limited slip and a whole host of other such stuff you get into preferences that are too subjective to quantify consistently across a group of buyers.

Do to the age of the car and issues such as condition, replacement of typical parts that go with age (ie maintenance issues beyond fluids) most mk4s will generally value and sell between $3-$6k. The pricing takes into account all of the above and the original options that were equipped or not equipped with that car. Why? Because we are in model year 2015 and cars that are 10 plus years old with 200,000 miles are not considered worth much, especially when there are newer tdis providing down pressure on pricing.