Straight Pipe

flashpeacock

TDI
2011 Jetta
I have a 2011 TDI Manual. It is approaching 100k miles and the warranty is gone and I do not plan to renew but I do plan to own the car for a long time. Anyone have a good knowledge base on the effects of straigh piping the car? I know its redneck, but they do sound cool when done properly. I just dont want to cause issues down the road with the computers within the car. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Oh I think your car has oxygen sensors and regeneration to burn the soot out of the converter. Now on my ALH I am catless and when the rest of the exhaust goes I might go with a straight pipe.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Also, keep in mind that 'someday' your state may want to start inspecting cars.

I'd imagine that it would also kill resale value, but as you stated you plan to keep the car.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
South Carolina will probably be the last state to test for emissions. Oh maybe Georgia will beet them but it will be close.
My guess is that a lot of states will start to turnip the heat on diesel inspections. :D

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
My guess is that a lot of states will start to turnip the heat on diesel inspections. :D
I see what you did there. It took a second, but I get it!!!
Often before a departure I'll state, "Lettuce leaf, I'm feeling beet."

Haven't seen a lot about open exhaust on the newer models. For an ALH it's pretty simple, cut out the cat replace it with tubing, cut off the muffler replace it with tubing.
OP you may need to look(search) into deleting the regen.
For the oxygen sensor, if it's like a gasser you can just tap a new hole and weld the sensor bung in.but then again, the newer cars may be sensitive to this, I'm unsure. Good luck.
When it's all done we expect good quality audio video from you.

flashpeacock

TDI
2011 Jetta
Thanks guys for the info. I figured there would be the need for some science and dealings with those computer machine things in order to make her run good after the fact. I will keep on researching and.....squirrel!!!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Fairly expense to do. Probably more expensive to put back if required. Many threads here about doing this, with the pros and cons.

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
Fairly expense to do. Probably more expensive to put back if required. Many threads here about doing this, with the pros and cons.
I did mine for about 1500, Malone stg 2, dpf, egr delete, buzzken down pipe and mid pipe at 120k. Cheaper than replacing the dpf, and no more I/C icing.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
I have an aFe cat-back on my 2011 Golf and love it. Had to be 40 pounds lighter, beter flow, maybe a throatier sound, not much more noise. Got mine on eBay, watched several and made an offer, was accepted.

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
And totally against federal regulations… :rolleyes:
Haha. Ok bud. This is my first brand new car Ive ever bought. I had a hardstart last year and drained 14 ounces of water out of my i/c hose. Ill be damned if my 20000 dollar car, that is out of warranty with 146000 miles blows the engine because of hydrolock. Go hug a tree somewhere else.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Haha. Ok bud. This is my first brand new car Ive ever bought. I had a hardstart last year and drained 14 ounces of water out of my i/c hose. Ill be damned if my 20000 dollar car, that is out of warranty with 146000 miles blows the engine because of hydrolock. Go hug a tree somewhere else.

No no, you misunderstood..... These people are offering to help pay for the damage to your car when it happens.

With that said, I must inform you officially:

-These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations

-Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

Last edited: