I am an idiot

zekeman

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
I've already arrived at that conclusion by myself. So save your fingers if you feel the need to spend your valuable time chastising me

2000 Beetle TDI 5 speed 275,000 miles.

I needed to adjust the odometer by adding 2,000 miles to it. I have a local friend who is a locksmith and has vag-com in order to read pin codes for programming keys.

I borrowed his vag-com and tried to do the adjustment.

It showed current value as -1 miles, which I thought a little strange. I added the new mileage. When I got through, the mileage hadn't changed, but the speedometer, tach, and gas gauge weren't functioning, and the oil light was blinking. The odometer was functioning however. After putting around with it some more, i managed to get the odometer to read all 9's and not work. The trip odometer still works however.

Any thoughts?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I think I read somewhere that a instrument cluster can only have the mileage changed if it has less than 90 miles on it.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Vag tacho will do what you need. I do not have one.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I've already arrived at that conclusion by myself. So save your fingers if you feel the need to spend your valuable time chastising me

2000 Beetle TDI 5 speed 275,000 miles.

I needed to adjust the odometer by adding 2,000 miles to it. I have a local friend who is a locksmith and has vag-com in order to read pin codes for programming keys.

I borrowed his vag-com and tried to do the adjustment.
Triple facepalm because VAG-COM doesn't do that, you must have used some other tool to mess up your car.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Say good buy to your cluster. Beetle has very complicate eeprom in cluster and if you don't have very good tool you will make a brick out of cluster and there is no way back.Vag-Tacho , what was mention above, can not help it. What you did you mass up checksum in eeprom.

zekeman

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
I think I read somewhere that a instrument cluster can only have the mileage changed if it has less than 90 miles on it.
He said that he had done it before on cars he was working on. He did it just to see if he could do it, and then changed it right back.

zekeman

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Triple facepalm because VAG-COM doesn't do that, you must have used some other tool to mess up your car.
Well he actually has two tools. He called them both vag-com. One is a computer with an OBD dongle. The other is a self contained unit.

They both have the means for odometer adjustment.

He used the computer and dongle before when he did it. I was using the self contained unit. I went back and tried to fix it with the other tool, but apparently I had already screwed it up too much.

Last edited:

zekeman

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Say good buy to your cluster. Beetle has very complicate eeprom in cluster and if you don't have very good tool you will make a brick out of cluster and there is no way back.Vag-Tacho , what was mention above, can not help it. What you did you mass up checksum in eeprom.
Any suggestions on fixing my delimma? Can I get a used cluster and put it in?

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I needed the odometer to reflect the actual mileage of the car.
Do you, by any chance, work for the government? :rolleyes:

Just kidding! :D

I suspect that you will need a new cluster and a vag-tacho whiz-kid operator. I'm sorry this happened to you... I do stupid things all the time, I know how you feel! ;)

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I'm able to change mileage (without screwing up the car), but I'm in Florida.

The vagtacho will change the mileage on the odometer, but not the computer, i.e. even if you change it with vagtacho, Ross-tech vagcom will detect the true mileage.
:D

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
One thing that I'm find odd, that I have never seen anyone warn people about with these lower mileage TDI's is authenticate the mileage. Someone who has a working vagtacho, and knows how to use it, can change the mileage to ANYTHING they want to, in about 3 minutes.

I always check that when I hook up to someones car, so far I've only found 1 car that had false mileage, it was roughly 30,000 miles short of what the real mileage in the computer was.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Well he actually has two tools. He called them both vag-com. One is a computer with an OBD dongle. The other is a self contained unit.

They both have the means for odometer adjustment.

He used the computer and dongle before when he did it. I was using the self contained unit. I went back and tried to fix it with the other tool, but apparently I had already screwed it up too much.
Sounds like he was calling both things the wrong name then.

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
According to the official website (http://www.maltchev.com/kiti/), the latest version of Vag-Tacho is compatible with New Beetle clusters.

Jetta, 97, you say the EEPROM is complicated - did the problem occur because zekeman tried to go through Vag-Tacho's (or whatever tool it was) "automated" interface for changing the mileage? If he had pulled an EEPROM dump, found and correctly altered the mileage coding somehow, and then reloaded it into his cluster, would it have worked, or would he still have gotten a checksum problem?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
According to the official website (http://www.maltchev.com/kiti/), the latest version of Vag-Tacho is compatible with New Beetle clusters.

Jetta, 97, you say the EEPROM is complicated - did the problem occur because zekeman tried to go through Vag-Tacho's (or whatever tool it was) "automated" interface for changing the mileage? If he had pulled an EEPROM dump, found and correctly altered the mileage coding somehow, and then reloaded it into his cluster, would it have worked, or would he still have gotten a checksum problem?
The problem is , NONE of those tools that was mention above have read/write eeprom on Beetle cluster.
When you do Beetle cluster you have to be really careful about milege.
Like I said before Magneti Marelli cluster( Beetle and TT) are very difficult clusters to work on it.
Even with Vag-Tacho latest version is not easy as it says on site. Most of the time cluster gets frozen and you can not calibrate miles.
There is some tools , but they are way , way more expensive:
http://enigmatool.com/en_,cennik.php

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
One thing that I'm find odd, that I have never seen anyone warn people about with these lower mileage TDI's is authenticate the mileage. Someone who has a working vagtacho, and knows how to use it, can change the mileage to ANYTHING they want to, in about 3 minutes.

I always check that when I hook up to someones car, so far I've only found 1 car that had false mileage, it was roughly 30,000 miles short of what the real mileage in the computer was.
Have you done it on Beetle clusters ?
Jetta / Golf is piece of cake compering to Beetle clusters.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
If we can get back on topic here: ("I am an idiot")

Zekeman, this morning I filled my coffee grinder up with water. You are not alone. :eek:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
Have you done it on Beetle clusters ?
Jetta / Golf is piece of cake compering to Beetle clusters.

No, I haven't worked on very many beetles, and I don't make a habit of changing mileage on cars. I just like knowing how to use the toys that I have.:cool:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
Thanks, right now I try not to work on anyones cars besides mine.

I usually don't have the heart to charge what my time is really worth(worth to me), and more often than not, working on other people's cars has been a constant reminder of "No good deed goes unpunished".

I will tell you one thing , just be careful on Bettle and TT clusters.
Thanks, I just won't do it, period.

zekeman

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
I can help you fix this with proper documentation.
I can do a data transfer from your engine ecu so all is reflected proper.
With new, used or old cluster.

Let me know.

Best,

Jack

vwemporium@aol.com
I assume you would do that if I sent you my ECU and cluster? The only problem with that is that I can't really afford to do without the car. I put just under 400 miles on it every day for work. I wouldn't mind knowing how much you would charge me to do it though.

My best bet might be to get a cluster out of a junk yard. I'm in south Texas and there are gobs of junk yards down here. Maybe I can get jetta 97 to reset it for me next time I come through Dallas.

Ahhh.... The good ole days when you could just stick a drill on the cable. It was pretty easy to identify odometers that had been run back too, since they were usually all askew.

Just a little FYI. On the machine I used, it had the option to go into the cluster or ECU for mileage adjustment. When I fist screwed it up, I tried to set it back to the original mileage because I was afraid that maybe it was a problem with the ECU not seeing the same as the cluster. When that didn't work I tried to change it in the ECU and that's when I got 999,999 across the display.

Oh well, I guess I wanted it set forward, just not quite that far.

I have to do something about this, because I have to document miles for business use. Not to mention, I really do need stuff like mph, tach, and gas guage, not to mention that oil light blinking keeps me pretty much freaked out.

zeke