Front end shimmy/shaking

cwspen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi All...

I had a VERY bad shake when braking for the last year or so. I assumed "I put on cheap rotors last brake job, they must be warped."

New pads and rotors from VW, my labour (done lots of brakes) were put on approximately 7,000 km ago.

Immediately after changing them the braking was smooth and beautiful. I thought I detected a slight "shake" (during all phases of driving) but thought that might be my mind playing tricks on me. Had the tires balanced since I bought them used, shake seemed to improve.

7,000 km later and it's starting to be very noticeable when braking again. Noticeable at other times too, but worst when braking.

So, what could lead to these symptoms?

My car is a 2001 with approx 250,000 km on it. With the exception of brakes, oil changes, & timing belts it's all original (suspension, bushings, bearings, etc.)

So what steps can I take to figure out exactly what the problem is?

I'd hate to just keep throwing parts at it until I find the culprit, but don't want to replace everything all at once unnecessarily too.

Thanks

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
If the disks/rotors are new, good quality and correctly installed (technically you should check your hub run-out with a gauge) then I'd replace the the lower control arm bushings. With 250K kms, I'd take a hard look at your front-end and suspension (the basics) when you put on your winter tires.

Last edited:

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
This vibration could also be caused by "play" in your steering/tie-rods. That's what fixed my front end vibration under braking. The Lower Control arm bushings are most likely due to be replaced also as stated above.

DCdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
If the disks are new, good quality and correctly installed then I'd replace the the lower control arm bushings. With 250K kms, I'd take a hard look at your front-end and suspension (the basics) when you put on your winter tires.
What he said. Just replaced my LCA's with TT units and the car lost its shimmy. World of difference and performance from a 35 dollar purchase.

TDIDarryl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I had the same issue as the OP. It was solved with newer LCA bushings (I also went with the TT one).

Brandon (VDubTech) near the 400 and 401 replaced mine for a what I thought was a very reasonable price... Can't remember how much it was though.

cwspen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
If the disks are new, good quality and correctly installed then I'd replace the the lower control arm bushings. With 250K kms, I'd take a hard look at your front-end and suspension (the basics) when you put on your winter tires.
Thanks, I'll try to get the car up later this week and check some of this out. I've been wanting to check but didn't know where to start. That link is a great place to start. Thanks again.

This vibration could also be caused by "play" in your steering/tie-rods. That's what fixed my front end vibration under braking. The Lower Control arm bushings are most likely due to be replaced also as stated above.
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

sounds like slowdown shudder. have you checked your injectors.
Don't think so. Completely unrelated to engine. Clutch In or Out.

What he said. Just replaced my LCA's with TT units and the car lost its shimmy. World of difference and performance from a 35 dollar purchase.
I'm thinking if I'm going to change bushings, it might be easiest for me to buy new LCA's that have bushings already installed. I lack many tools that might be needed to "persuade" bushings either in, or out. Bench Vice, etc.

Good spots in Canada to buy / order such things?

Speaking of buying... Good spots around to buy shocks? I figure with 250k it's time for new ones. I suppose I should do the shock bearings at the same time. Looking for a "nice ride." Not into "sport" or "racing" suspension, this is a daily commuter.

I assume that as long as the springs aren't broken, they don't need to be replaced?

Thanks again.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta

Speaking of buying... Good spots around to buy shocks? I figure with 250k it's time for new ones. I suppose I should do the shock bearings at the same time. Looking for a "nice ride." Not into "sport" or "racing" suspension, this is a daily commuter.

I assume that as long as the springs aren't broken, they don't need to be replaced?

Brian at Roseland technical services in Halifax sells all the parts you are looking for. I believe he has the LCA's with new bushings. I did this job last year, went with Bilstein TC comforts - bit softer ride, my front springs were sagging badly, so I bought newer ones. If your car rides at a good height you shouldn't need new ones.
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm thinking if I'm going to change bushings, it might be easiest for me to buy new LCA's that have bushings already installed. I lack many tools that might be needed to "persuade" bushings either in, or out. Bench Vice, etc.
Just keep in mind that the cost of a new control arm is considerably greater than just replacing the bushing. And, as with any front-end component, you'll want to consider getting an alignment after the job. After 250K of driving Ontario roads, I suspect you'll find some play in at least one tie-rod/ball joint/strut mount so the question then becomes, how much do you want to replace? Front-end parts are quite cheap but the time/labor of having them installed (and repeated alignments) gets expensive.

Speaking of buying... Good spots around to buy shocks?
Brian at Roseland (NS) or Precision Tuning (local).

Last edited:

cwspen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks. I think I'm probably going to do a complete refresh up front. For the added parts cost, there's almost no additional labour cost. Plus alignments as mentioned. Seems like I could do the wrenching, just a question of putting in the time. I will look into having the work done.

So for a "normal" ride, the Bilstein TC's seem to be the most recommended?

cwspen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks. I think I'm probably going to do a complete refresh up front. For the added parts cost, there's almost no additional labour cost. Plus alignments as mentioned. Seems like I could do the wrenching, just a question of putting in the time. I will look into having the work done.

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI

I'm happy enough with my TCs. They're nothing fancy, but give a nice OEM+ ride and height (mine is only a commuting car these days). I recall doing my front wheel bearings at the same time as the front end (again, it's all apart so what is a little preventative maintenance). And if you are doing the rear suspension then consider the rear-axle bushings as well... it will drive like new when you're done :)

Not just time... You'll want a good impact gun and a press to do bushings (yes, a vice will work in a pinch). You may also want a grinder and a welder on standby just in case one of the captive nuts breaks free. I know Brandon does this sort of refresh quite a bit.

Last edited: