thermostat flange & connector @ heater core LEAKING! WTB??

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
Hey guys...

having an issue with the 04 tdi.. all of a sudden, NO heat last week (traveling down the highway....)

Heater core inlet hose is hot, outlet is cool...

no signs of leaks from the core, or the typical inside condensation on the windshield.

BUT... there is some seeping from the inlet connector...

AND

ALSO, the thermostat flange.although it seems like it's coming from the bolt holes, so maybe the o-ring?

so, the big question is WHERE is the least expensive place to buy BOTH parts? It seems I can find the ALH pieces ok...

I'd consider the dealer, BUT the STEALer-ship screwed us on the glow-plug recall (broke the harness, and it wasn't noticed till it became cold out.... ):( SO, i'm not to inclined to go back there...regardless.

Thanks for any help you could provide..

J

Last edited:

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
After doing more reading, I was MISTAKEN in thinking that the thermostat is on the driver's side of the REAR of the cyl head, when in fact that's the coolant 'flange' @ the back of the head (one inlet, and two outlets....??)

This one has one inlet from the aluminum housing, and two outlets which connect to hoses....

I'm having a tough time just finding the plastic flange....

maybe a picture is in order?

EDIT: This is the piece I'm speaking of...FINALLY found it after 40 min of searching the net....

http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_156_173&products_id=1400

any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited: