www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:17   #31
voltron1011
Veteran Member

Default POST YOUR DYNOS

[ QUOTE ]
You should also post the type or manufacturer of the dyno since some dynos (like dynojet and other inertia dynos) give inflated numbers because they calculate the torque rather then measure it like a land and sea or a mustang dyno (brake dynos) so just remember that when looking at some dyno sheets because they can be as far off as 30%

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you there.... Back in highschool we got a dyno at our autoshop and it had slightly skewed numbers. It was funny because all the muscle-car boys jumped all over the dyno and immediately started posting 200 hp, 250 hp, etc... They were all stoked because there big mean V8s put out soooo much power. I then suggested we put my moms 88 Toyota Corolla on the dyno. My moms Corolla had a factory claimed 90 hp engine with about 76 ft/lbs torque, on it's 1.6 liter motor. My mom's Toyota posted about 185 horsepower on that dyno! All of the sudden we had a bunch of cryin muscle-car boys. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
voltron1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 00:53   #32
Eric Dow

Fuel Economy: 48
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

Same question as two up.. Where to hook up the pickup for tach? Ran on a Mustang Dyno last Sunday...

Running just the upsolute chip on my 2002 NB Auto TDI I recorded 4 runs.

1st run 97.4 WHP
2nd run 109.7 WHP
3rd run 97.6 WHP
4th run 97.9 WHP

The cool part is the 3rd and 4th runs were on Veggie Oil!! No loss is no bull [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
They want me to come back when I or they figure out how to get a tach signal. I logged with VAG-Com and if I did the calc right, I'm guessing my Torque was over 195'lbs??? Someone give me another calc, as that CAN'T Be right????
Eric Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 04:27   #33
mycruiseagent

Fuel Economy: 56.4/45.1/36.0
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

The difference from run 1 to run 2 is a little high. 195 for torque is very believable. RPM can be picked up using a piezo pick-up on the injector lines or by using an optical sensor on the injector pump sprocket.

I was just discussing a Mustang dyno with a local shop here - they were certain that they could determine torque from wheel speed. I guess if you had the proper factor to account for the gear ratio this would be possible if the dyno software allows for this - probably not as accurate due to variation in rolling radius from tire brand to brand.

MCA
mycruiseagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:42   #34
KERMA

Default POST YOUR DYNOS

The mmustang dyno I used calibrated the rollers before the pull to several points on the tach.
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 22:21   #35
Eric Dow

Fuel Economy: 48
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

[ QUOTE ]
The difference from run 1 to run 2 is a little high. 195 for torque is very believable. RPM can be picked up using a piezo pick-up on the injector lines or by using an optical sensor on the injector pump sprocket.

I was just discussing a Mustang dyno with a local shop here - they were certain that they could determine torque from wheel speed. I guess if you had the proper factor to account for the gear ratio this would be possible if the dyno software allows for this - probably not as accurate due to variation in rolling radius from tire brand to brand.

MCA

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think they have the right pickups for either of the options. They do say they have a VERY sensitive pickup that they use for the coil packs on the 1.8t's. I wonder if that would be sensitive enough to pickup off the Alternater signal for the Tach? Either way, I get a free run on both fuels if I can get them a way to pickup the tach signal. I was thinking about the VAG tool they use to pickup the signal off the bell housing on the older ones. I just don't remember if the A4's have that??? Either way, if someone knows a positive way that doesn't require custom parts, I'd be eternaly greatful.

BTW, acording to the FAQ. My next performance option is the .184 injectors. Is anyone certain that the '02 Auto TDI's don't already have this? If so, anyone have a set lying around they want to sell cheap (OK, Cheaper?)
Eric Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 20:46   #36
Gary Miyakawa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 NB TDI
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

To my knowledge and experience with Dynos, there is no signal under the hood of an ALH engine that a Dynojet 248C can pickup with any of their (primary or secondary) sensors. That's why I build the little combination of equipment I did to capture the injection signal based on the Ferrett Injection Pulse monitor.

Haven't spent any time on a Mustang dyno but if you can calibrate RPMs to MPH, then it should pretty accurately determine the Torque.

Gary M
Gary Miyakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 13:14   #37
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

gary u have e-mail
mojogoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 19:27   #38
TDItech
Veteran Member

Default POST YOUR DYNOS

I run on a DynoJet today. We got a tach signal using a pezio pickup on an injector line. Only made one run, but got an idea about what I have.
127whp
230lb of tourque
TDItech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 20:43   #39
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

[ QUOTE ]
but got an idea about what I have.
127whp
230lb of tourque

[/ QUOTE ]
then you'd better update your profile 'cause I know you're not making 127/230 w/ exhaust and pipes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 21:36   #40
Rickstah
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/45/41
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

Hey Robbie did you ever dyno Tessa's A3 with these chips in it? I'm itching to run down to Thunder Valley sometime soon and do some runs for fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]...see if I can get that 7 second 0-60 at least. I figured out why I was boiling my tires at Dzljet's...my battery was in the trunk, and I figure that 40-50 pounds taken off the top has to make a little difference with grip, think? Not to mention my refusing to let up cause I enjoyed the tire spin so much, snicker.
Rickstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 22:02   #41
TDItech
Veteran Member

Default POST YOUR DYNOS

Your right runonbeer, I had a custom burn Upsolute installed two weeks ago. And got rid of the box.
TDItech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 00:16   #42
TDIfreak
Veteran Member

Default POST YOUR DYNOS

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...532&page=1

134 whp from AHU engine with stock program and IQ = 3 mg/R.
TDIfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:23   #43
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good
Default POST YOUR DYNOS

I haven't had the A3 on the dyno, I've been tinkering with it though, its amazing what IQ does for you when you've got a fat pump to play with.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 20:06   #44
kande
Veteran Member

Default POST YOUR DYNOS

i dynoed the other day.. they were unable to get a torque reading... but i got 102.8hp on a stock 04 PD jetta [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

my baby made me proud... the guys said the power curve was unreal... absolutely unbelievable... cant wait to mod thehell out of her!
kande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:13   #45
MrDave
Veteran Member

Default POST YOUR DYNOS

Stock A4/Mk4 12V VR6 dyno (for comparison):

Baseline dyno
ALH, B.184, 10mm, racepipe, custom IC and piping, 2.5" exhaust

ASV, RC3.1, B.205, 10mm, racepipe, custom IC and piping, 2.5" exhaust

Doing the math reveals:

Notes:
-values as at the wheels
-uncorrected
-elevation ~3400 feet
-baseline run in 4th, chipped dyno run in 3rd
-heavier wheels for chipped dyno run
-custom IC and piping because it's installed in a Rabbit.

-Dave
MrDave is offline   Reply With Quote