Timing belt/ water pump

Berlinbuick

TDI
2002 jetta/2006 jetta
Going to do belt and pump on my 06 tdi, I did them on my 02 is there any odd thing to look out for or all pretty much standard?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
If it is a BRM Jetta TDI then go to the BRM timing belt kit on Dieselgeek.com and seek the video for the "Pro Method" for changing the belt. No need to remove the motor mount. Saves time. Smart.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
The PDs are easier than the ALH in your 02. I've never tried it without removing the mount, but I can't imagine you could save much time and effort that way.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You will need the appropriate crank lock jig, since there is no TDC marking on the flywheel. Or a hole to see a mark. ;)

JETaah

TDI
The PDs are easier than the ALH in your 02. I've never tried it without removing the mount, but I can't imagine you could save much time and effort that way.
Lets see....
Don't have to move the coolant reservoir, fuel canister, motor mount, motor mount bracket. No need to set up an engine support system. No wear and tear on the motor mount bracket threaded holes. Don't need to spend money on the 7 engine mounting bolts.
Works for me.:cool:

Last edited:

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Just replaced the camshaft in my wife's '05.5 so the timing belt and pulley had to come off. I agree no need to remove the motor mount, but you may have to get at the pump from down below. Spend the money on the Metalnerd cam and crank locks, money well spent for peace of mind!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Lets see....
Don't have to move the coolant reservoir, fuel canister, motor mount, motor mount bracket. No need to set up an engine support system. No wear and tear on the motor mount bracket threaded holes. Don't need to spend money on the 7 engine mounting bolts.
Works for me.:cool:
Is that true for the (transverse) BEW engines as well, or just the (longitudinal) BRM engines?

Asking 'cause I'm about to do a BEW for the first time... BRM was a piece of cake.

JETaah

TDI
No luck on the BEWs because the belt is straddled by the motor mount. Gotta take it off.
But, the American common rails all apply.

Longitudinal BRMs? Ive not seen any.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Lets see....
Works for me.
I'm just thinking it would be cramped for space, but I'll have to try it. I did add the option for the belt kits with the tensioner stud and no mount bolts.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
If it is a BRM Jetta TDI then go to the BRM timing belt kit on Dieselgeek.com and seek the video for the "Pro Method" for changing the belt. No need to remove the motor mount. Saves time. Smart.
I'm glad you posted this because I was wondering if anybody was actually using this method. I'll be doing my BRM cam and timing belt soon. I had come across Dieselgeek's "Pro Method" video a couple months ago while searching for other BRM stuff. I hadn't seen this method mentioned on here, so I assumed that most people were not doing it.

It was my intent to leave the mount intact, but buy the bolts just in case I felt the need to remove it. Maybe I won't even bother buying the mount bolts now that I have confirmation that you're doing it this way.

Did you read the comments on the video? I had to laugh when that guy asked how to torque the tensioner stud nut and Dieselgeek replied and said "if you can't tighten a nut by feel maybe you shouldn't be doing a timing belt job"...lol. The guy replies and says "if you don't know how to torque BRM engine mount bolts maybe YOU shouldn't be doing a timing belt job"...lol.

Ahhh, the internet...:)

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I used the pro method on my common rail. I can't imagine doing it any other way. Had to buy the $2 stud since my kit came with motor mount bolts. I just used channel locks to remove the stud, and doubled up nuts to install the new one.

theroyztdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Has anyone used the pro method (removing tensioner stud instead of raising engine) to replace their timing belt on a 06 TDI Jetta? Any issues with it?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
The issue is probably that you won't be able to properly tighten it when reinstalling with the new tensioner.

ACMTDiJet

TDI
1.9L BRM, MKV Jetta, 2.0L BHW, B5 Passat wagon
I did my belt not using the "pro method" and it was easy with plenty of room obviously. Took about two hours, I understand how setting up and taking the mount out could be deemed unnecessary but if not banging t belts out for a living, its not that bad. BRM's are pretty simple in my opinion.

JETaah

TDI
Has anyone used the pro method (removing tensioner stud instead of raising engine) to replace their timing belt on a 06 TDI Jetta? Any issues with it?
I've never had any issues with doing that way for a very many engines.

On the first two that I did, I did take the mount off and have not done it since except where the mechanic ahead of me loctited the stud:mad:.

The stud does not need to be torqued in the block very hard...just lightly snugged with pliers. That is how tight the factory stuck it in there.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with doing.
Removing the mount is just not a necessary step like it is on the ALH and BEW engines.

theroyztdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks. I've never done one but it doesn't seem that hard (until something goes wrong). LOL! The downside is having to rent/buy the special tools to do a job I will probably only do once.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Just to come back to this, I just did the cam and timing belt in my 06 BRM this past weekend, and used the "Pro Method" shortcuts for both the belt and the cam. For the cam I left the tandem pump and fuel lines all intact, and for the belt I left the motor mount, coolant res, fuel filter, etc all in place. It all went pretty well. I don't know how much time it saved me...I'm kinda slow anyway, but it sure was nice not having the engine move around.

I had assumed that the timing belt had not been replaced in this car before. The previous owner claimed that it had been, but could provide no proof or paperwork of such. I found an Altrom water pump and a NAPA timing belt...and I'm pretty sure VW didn't put those in there (or the paint marks either...lol).

theroyztdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I was all set to replace the timing belt and water pump on my 2006 BRM this weekend but after doing a little more research I'm concerned that I don't have a VCDS to check the cam timing when I get done. Is this necessary if the car is running good prior to replacing the belt?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Is it necessary to do if the car was running good prior to replacong the belt?

Removing the belt will get rid of whatever adjustment the car had before, even losening the cam belt tensioner will mess with the adjustment.

Do you must have VCDS?

A careful person with previous experience can land the torsion value at a true 0.0 degrees. However it is a good idea to confirm the torsion value with vcds anyways, as most PDs react better to other than zero values ( +/- 0.5 , +/- 1.0 etc) for driveability and maximum fuel economy. The optimal value from the factory is writren on a label on top of the engine.