I am Fu** , HPFP dead

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Title says it all, 130,000 miles car would not start last week, replaced the Battery did not help, towed it to my indie, fuel pump is dead, car has one replaced around 72,000 miles which VW paid for, not sure what my options are at the moment but a stiff drink is looking pretty good right now.

MaverickH1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Wow, I'm sorry. :/

I'm actually going to park my car for this reason now. I'm terrified of what might go wrong.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Dang sorry to hear that. I hope you find a solution, but in the mean time a good bourbon will ease some pain.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Title says it all, 130,000 miles car would not start last week, replaced the Battery did not help, towed it to my indie, fuel pump is dead, car has one replaced around 72,000 miles which VW paid for, not sure what my options are at the moment but a stiff drink is looking pretty good right now.
Dang, that sucks. Sorry dude. :(

Exactly why I am NOT driving this for two more years and then selling back. It goes back ASAP.

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
Ugh. Hoping this doesn't happen to many more folks, myself included since I'm still driving it daily. :mad:

Yea, probably best to skip the glass and go straight from the bottle...

Add me to the sympathy party.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Its like a soldier being hit by an artillery shell while on his way home from the war.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
This thought just occurred to me.. What about getting the fix (if it actually materializes) and using the restitution $ to pay to fix the HPFP? You at least get out of it even, or maybe on the plus side a bit, and have the extended warranty for the emissions.

But I guess if this is your 2nd HPFP failure... oy

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
See if you or your indie can find a HPFP in a junk yard. If you can start it up and move it at the dealer, you're golden.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
2 hpfp failures in 130k miles seems like incredibly bad luck. I wonder what is the record number of pump failures on a single car?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Wow, I'm sorry. :/

I'm actually going to park my car for this reason now. I'm terrified of what might go wrong.
I parked mine last week as well.. I'm 50 miles from 110k and don't want to go into the next mileage bracket as well as run the risk of a major failure. Selling/sold most of my aftermarket goodies except for window tint...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
2 hpfp failures in 130k miles seems like incredibly bad luck. I wonder what is the record number of pump failures on a single car?
Someone advanced a theory in another thread that this is due to those doing the repair not cleaning out all the shrapnel due to the original HPFP self-destructing. They just swap out the pump, all that crap is still in there, and therefore represent the seeds of the destruction of the new pump. The answer, apparently, is a complete replacement of the fuel system, flush of the tank, etc.

COA3TDi

TDI
2010 Audi A3
I exactly know how you feel! Mine happened at a little over 120K miles. VWoA is of no help. I started forest fires all over and with everyone that I could speak with. They basically said you are over milage and you can GTH.

Completed this job a month ago. I used my $500 goodwill card for the HPFP and scrounged used parts on ebay. Car ran and is parked outside waiting for the turn in date.

there is a used HPFP for auction, No affiliation with seller item #12215666826. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ScottI

TDI
jetta tdi
Same thing happened to my 2009 VW Jetta TDI with 200,000 miles on it. Thanks to Andrew Dreossi (2micron) mine is up and running again!!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Don't do anything before you check with class counsel. IIRC, the requirement is that the cars be operable, or have ceased to be operable after the opt-out deadline. Since the opt-out deadline was 9/16, and your HPFP just failed, I'm not sure you'll need to do anything other than tow your car to the dealer.

tdidetroit

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
My 2014 TDI with just over 18,000 miles had a bad fuel pump two weeks ago. Scary driving coasting along with no power when it first happened. Dealership said that they tested my gas and I had bad gas(have been using a brand new Kroger gas station since I got the car) which is usually not covered under warranty but they would still do it under warranty. They said I should go to a gas station that has a lot of gas turnover, like a truck stop off the freeway, the closest one would be a 40 minute drive. This car can't be turned in soon enough.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
My 2014 TDI with just over 18,000 miles had a bad fuel pump two weeks ago. Scary driving coasting along with no power when it first happened. Dealership said that they tested my gas and I had bad gas(have been using a brand new Kroger gas station since I got the car) which is usually not covered under warranty but they would still do it under warranty. They said I should go to a gas station that has a lot of gas turnover, like a truck stop off the freeway, the closest one would be a 40 minute drive. This car can't be turned in soon enough.
What BS. I don't see a sticker in my car or a warning in my owners manual that says go to truck stops for deisel fuel only or BEWARE. I understand you want to stay away from old stations that sell very low volume but come on.

Glad they took care of it for you!

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Don't do anything before you check with class counsel. IIRC, the requirement is that the cars be operable, or have ceased to be operable after the opt-out deadline. Since the opt-out deadline was 9/16, and your HPFP just failed, I'm not sure you'll need to do anything other than tow your car to the dealer.
Not to be negative here but just how would they know if the vehicle was drivable or not before or after the opt-out deadline - or any date for that matter ? :confused:

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
This is my biggest fear, but I cannot park mine as I can't afford another car payment and don't have enough cash to lay out for a replacement car. So here I am, risking every day.

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
Well, there's your problem. You put gas in it. I'm sorry, someone had to say it. :)

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
OP here, in my case First HPPF was done by a local VW dealer and I do not think they replace the fuel tank I gotta check the paperwork, Thanks for all the support yes this sucks but I am still above ground so that is something.

Someone advanced a theory in another thread that this is due to those doing the repair not cleaning out all the shrapnel due to the original HPFP self-destructing. They just swap out the pump, all that crap is still in there, and therefore represent the seeds of the destruction of the new pump. The answer, apparently, is a complete replacement of the fuel system, flush of the tank, etc.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the good wishes, I am gonna see what my options are in a few days, I was really trying to drive it very little waiting on the buyback, guess I should have parked it.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to be negative here but just how would they know if the vehicle was drivable or not before or after the opt-out deadline - or any date for that matter ? :confused:
I have no idea how they expect to document that, but that's what the FTC Consent Order says. See page 8, lines 4-5:
(3) for an Eligible Owner, is currently Operable or ceases to be Operable after the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier;

TdiSandiego

TDI
2009 sportwagen, 2012 jetta tdi
My 09 had 3 hpfp failures. On the last one we tried to just replace the hpfp wihthout the hard lines or injectors or pumps in the tank being replaced. It ran(but like crap) and the check engine light was on but it was driveable. The hpfp only costs $700 or so you could be out for $1000 w/labor just to get it running so you can drive it onto dealer lot for buyback.

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
The way I look at it is we were forced to retain ownership of out TDI's until the buyback begins. If the cars engine blows up or transmission goes out. That isn't our fault any we mabey would have traded out already. If VW refused to take the car back unless it was fixed I would take it to court!!

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I have no idea how they expect to document that, but that's what the FTC Consent Order says. See page 8, lines 4-5:

OP, it would appear by this document that you may not be F***'ed after all. This document implies that one can return a non-operational vehicle for buyback. But I would save any fuel receipts or anything else that show proof the vehicle was operable up to or even past the opt out date - just in case VW asks for proof - which they could do.

ecupip

TDI
2012 TDI
No way, lol.....but if that was the case it did damn good running another 50K miles with just a new pump.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
As close as we might be to a judgement its wise to wait and see, but consider that the cost of a full or partial fuel pump replacement is 10 to 20% of the increased return you are getting from a buy back compared to selling or trading in the car outside of the settlement. It might be a small price to pay for the better return.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
For those with less than 120,000 miles and are in the US, the HPFP is covered for 120,000 miles.

I'm at 94,000 and will keep driving until I am close to that...so about another 1 1/2 years. Then I have a decision to make....

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
For those with less than 120,000 miles and are in the US, the HPFP is covered for 120,000 miles.
Only for 2012 and older, only if the anti-misfueling device is installed, and only if they can't find any way that the fuel's bad.