www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old November 28th, 1999, 11:07   #46
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.
Default Re: GARRETT VNT HOP UP PICS

Giving the engine a suitable amount of time to run in before messing with it is always a ggod idea. What's suitable? You are probably going to get as many answers as there are people. Go with what you think is good.

If you check the turbo mods info posted by others, you will find that even Skypup doesn't recommend more than 1 turn. If no other mods are performed, you will probably find that the boost comes on sooner, but the ECU will limit the max boost to the same level as pre-modification.

Also take note of the PCV hose modification as well as the intercooler cleaning comments. Apparently, even though there is a large oil separator in the valve cover, the turbo sucks harder than the separator can handle. Moving the intake plenum end of that hose is recommended in conjunction with boost modifications.

On the plus side, a diesel will be better able to use increased boost than any gas engine.

Finally, as you well know, no gains are without cost, so bear that in mind for anything you do.

Enjoy the ride!

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 1999, 15:31   #47
mickey

I wouldn't tinker with it until you get to 5000 miles. At that point, it would be interesting to see what this mod does to an otherwise "stock" engine. Everybody who has messed with it so far has a chipped engine. Limit the adjustment to one full turn of the "screw", though, to be on the safe side. Remember that to make a given level of boost at high altitudes requires a higher turbine speed than it does at lower rpms. The big danger up in the mountains is the possibility of over-revving the turbocharger. If you went for SkyPup's level of boost, you'd probably turn the turbo into shrapnel. These turbos are highly overengineered for our particular application, but there are practical limits to what any piece of machinery can handle.

I believe there is a tiny bit of epoxy paint on the lock nut. If a mechanic happened to notice that it's been broken off, they might question you. But what are the odds of that? Just play dumb. No need to lie. If you're busted, you're busted.

Yes, we all know about "fraud", JeffT. Thank you.

-mickey
Old November 28th, 1999, 18:48   #48
JeffT
Veteran Member

Hey Jeff, I was the one getting chastized about fraud in that thread.

The word "fraud" is a search term that will bring you to the pertinent discussion. If you'll read my response to the fraud comment you'll see that my point is that simply bringing your car back to specs isn't necessarily an act of fraud.

And Mickey, he brought it up, not me!!
JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 1999, 20:28   #49
Micwal
Veteran Member

After you adjusted it for good you could always paint it with Locktite or another thread compound.....just to keep if from vibrating loose :-).

------------------
Micwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 1999, 09:23   #50
mickey

And perhaps a dab of fingernail polish. You know, just to make SURE it doesn't wriggle loose.

-mickey
Old December 20th, 1999, 08:11   #51
SkyPup

Mercedes E-Class is also using the Garrett VNT15 turbo, here is an exact photo of the one on out A4 VW TDI's:

www.tandem.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/e-class/tz6.htm
Old January 7th, 2000, 17:13   #52
TDI = MPG = $avings
Veteran Member

SkyPup:

I have a stock 2000 Jetta TDI and want to turn up the boost to about 19psi.

If I turn the VNT adjustment one turn to the left, will that be about 19psi or more?

Maybe I need to only go 1/2 or 3/4 of a turn!

What do you think?

sjporter2@juno.com

------------------

2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver / Gray
TDI = MPG = $avings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2000, 05:25   #53
SkyPup

In response to the numerous emails, here is the low down on the Turbocharger Boost Pressure Gauge and Pod. The Oil-Filled Autometer Liquid #5404 Boost Pressure Gauge 0-35 PSI (they also produce same with metric scale too) is mounted on the A-pillar pod with an older A3 pod custom cut out with a propane torch and a hot knife. At the time of this installation, no one produced an A-pillar pod for the A4 cars, so I simply ordered an A3 pod from Neuspeed and fabricated my own. Works great and looks great too. When in doubt, simply create your own! Works for me!!
Old January 25th, 2000, 21:43   #54
BIGJOHNO
Veteran Member

So, let me get this straight. Turn the nut on the bottom of the pic a few turns counterclockwise. Then, is it that long bar painted orange, or that embossed cylinder painted orange that gets turned one full turn counterclockwise? Then, tighten the nut.
Any other opinions (other than 5000 miles) as to when to make this adjustment. Couldn't I do it when I get the Wett at 1000-2000 miles (antone else done this)? Thanks for any help.

John
BIGJOHNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2000, 04:41   #55
SkyPup

Just look at the photos I shot. The mod is on both my TDIs and works great, especially with the TT exhaust setup it brought it all home, AWESOME! Here is Mickey's explanation if you could not understand mine:

"Counter-clockwise" as viewed from BELOW. Look at the picture. You will be loosening the 10 mm lock nut. Loosen it
several turns. Then you will be turning the knurled adjuster IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS YOU TURNED THE LOCK
NUT. In other words, screw the ajuster "into", or "towards" the vacuum actuator at the bottom.

You'll notice from the photos that the actuator rod kind of "flares out" around the knurled adjuster. Get a sharp wax
pencil and scribe an index mark on the adjuster right next to the "flared" part of the rod. Turn the screw exactly
ONE full turn. (Or more if you want to, but I think you'd be crazy. Sorry, SkyPup!) Re-tighten the lock nut.

Don't expect miracles right off the bat. You'll notice a difference, but it takes a day or two of hard driving for the
full effect.

Standard disclaimer: If your car blows up, it's NOT MY FAULT! Got it? I had nothing to do with your decision.

-mickey
Old January 26th, 2000, 06:44   #56
SkyPup

Hallo Herr Heiko Foth (Volkswagen.de) VWAG auf Deutschland. Ich bin ein Amerikanner und sprechen kline Deutsch, Ich lebe VW TDI.
Guten Tag und Danke Shurn

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
2000 KTM 640 ADVENTURE RALLY SUPER THUMPER
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LIEBE MEIN TECHORAD VW TDI'S MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR
Old February 13th, 2000, 09:14   #57
DZL JETT

While trying to tackle the boost guage today, I found an unused grommet plugging a hole in the firewall. From the front of the car, it is located just above and to the left of the brake booster cylinder. It's about 1/2" in diameter and will work perfectly. Again, this is a 2000 Jetta so I'm not sure about the 99's and below.
DZL JETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2000, 10:17   #58
willys
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 67 / 49 / 36

That unused fiber grommet is what I used to access the engine compartment when I was hooking up my Euro lights.

Initially, I was unsure if it was solid or not- so I took a sharpened clothes hanger and poked it thru.

PERFECT!! I then wrapped hanger end and wire together with a minimal amount of electrical tape and put it thru. Your total diameter with hloa and wire is less than 3/16ths.

If you're REALLY fussy, you could also dab some silicone around the hole.
Given the same relative size of wire and the vacuum line, here is a solution to SkyPup's install around the A pillar.
------------------
James
Millenium Jetta GLS
Siver Arrow Automatic

[This message has been edited by willys (edited February 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by willys (edited February 13, 2000).]
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2000, 10:59   #59
DZL JETT

I didn't see it listed in any of the posts - where did everyone tap into for their light on the guage...I can't figure out how to get the switch out of the dash....or is there something I'm missing..??

Thanks.

P.S. - What is the standard range of boost for a stock TDI (no turbo mods or chips)
DZL JETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2000, 14:08   #60
wyseguy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): wyseguy100

With the switch in the off position, push straight in and turn to the right. it will only turn about 1/2 the way to the on position, then the switch will pull out with no problems at all. The wire you are looking for is the Grey/Blue. Hope this helps
wyseguy is offline   Reply With Quote