www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old October 27th, 1999, 11:01   #31
Karl Roenick
Veteran Member

Default Re: GARRETT VNT HOP UP PICS

Thanks.
I won't be doing it soon, I think
Karl Roenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 1999, 13:06   #32
SkyPup

Hey Guys, Just imagine what this baby will be putting out after plumbing in an additional small intercooler into the post boost line? Another 15HP is there for the taking as higher boosty makes higher air temps which lowers efficency, with an additional intercooler on line, MORE FREE POWER! YEAH Like taking candy from a baby, only better!HA
Old October 28th, 1999, 06:42   #33
GeWilli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: you keep track?

This is the intercooler we need!!!!!!!

GeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 1999, 05:26   #34
SkyPup

Colin, regarding your inquiry, after reading my mods, just do exactly as Mickey summarizes in his summary here towards the end, that is all it takes. Good luck and enjoy!
Old November 16th, 1999, 06:07   #35
SkyPup

Here is a link to a 1.8T gasser NB with Garrett Lim's new chip and some high speed photos on the Vortex. I'll have to duplicate this with the hypertech TURBO NB TDI, time to charge up the digital camera for some action shots again:

http://www.vwvortexforums.com/vwbb/F...ML/004357.html
Old November 18th, 1999, 07:00   #36
SkyPup

Pedro, regarding your inquiry as to your VNT15, closely examine all the photos of my mods and read all of the text. In the end, you are shortening the actuator lever for the Garrett VNT15 turbo to open the variable nozzle turbine sooner to increase boost. Works good with no drawbacks, unless your TDI is on a slippery surface, then the tires light up ASAP!
Old November 18th, 1999, 13:05   #37
wyseguy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): wyseguy100

I have an autometer Pro Liquid filled boost gauge that I want to install in my 2000 Golf TDI, but I can't seem to find a line in the engine containing positive anything but vaccuum, now I know that there is a line that runs post intercooler to the ECU, but where is it, which side of the firewall (R or L) very simple question, just am not to familiar with these A4's. One more question is the one turn to the left on the VNT actuator a good idea w/out a WETT chip or Tuning Box, and what boost does this motor run at in stock form? Skypup probably knows this one (if not all of them). Thanks again,
William Sauter

------------------
87 Golf 5DR GTI Turbo
2000 Satin Silver Golf GL TDI w/Black Int 5SPD
wyseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 1999, 13:27   #38
SkyPup

There is no pressure line going to the ECU on A4 TDI's, only electrical hookups. The brass diaphram controller on the Garrett VNT15 turbo has a vacuum pulsed line coming from a solenoid under electric control from the ECU.
I simply punched a 0.5mm hole in the final intercooler tubing right before the EGR valve on the intake manifold(as on the engine photo and description) and stuck the OEM Autometer boost feed line directly about 2mm into the hole, then slopped "GOOP" around the hole and tube to seal it. Crude but effective. For a better set up, you will have to remove the hard plastic intercooler pipe from the intercooler itself to the intake manifold (not an easy job as you will see) and then drill out a hole to install a regular tap valve for the OEM Autometer setup. I did not do that as it was a major hassle.
I don't know what the VNT mod is like w/o a Wett chip. Stock OEM turbo boost max is about 13-14 PSI, WETT changes that to 15-16 but in a different way (map). Install your gauge and drive around for a week or two and you will understand that the turbo is directly related to the torque alogrithim programmed into the BOSCH ECU. Wetterauer software is good for an easy 25-30% increase in power, real and perceived.
Old November 19th, 1999, 08:36   #39
wyseguy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): wyseguy100

Where is a good spot to go through the firewall for the 1/8" Autometer Boost feed line? The only hole I see is below the black plastic cable channel under the airbox, but that grommet is already full and tightly sealed. Any comments?
Thanks
wyseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 1999, 09:38   #40
SkyPup

That, my friend is another b*tch! I look long and hard taking off as much dash as possibel with virtually no luck. Finally, I simply ran the plastic tubing around the door jam, punching it under the rubber weather guard at the interface of the dash-windshield level, and ran it under the plastic winshield cowling. Sano installation, only place you can see it is when the driver door is open, put some duct tape over it there. Also, keep the line away from anything hot when routing it over the turbo & intake manifold.
Good Luck!! Check my engine photo again to see how I ran it across the engine bay under the windshield cowl.
Old November 27th, 1999, 00:42   #41
diesel des
Veteran Member

SKYPUP, where did you get your AutoMeter turbo boost guage? I need a new gauge as mine has went a bit tits up. It seems to be hard to get one that does not measure vacume. How much was it? Thanks.
diesel des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 1999, 14:50   #42
Jeff Strachan
Veteran Member

Hi folks. Just joined up. First, a little chit chat about me, but then, I have a question.

Bought my 2000 Golf TDI about 2 weeks ago. Was originally thinking of going for a GTI, but a good friend and fellow gearhead suggested the TDI. I had never even considered it, but started doing research on the car and the mileage numbers and the fact that it was about 5 grand less were quite appealing.

So, test drive. I too am one who commutes between 5 and 8 thousand feet, with a round trip around 80 miles. On the test drive, I told the salesman I *have* to see how this thing goes up MY hill. Test drive was for over 50 miles. Up a hill and then some twisty mountain roads. I was simply shocked. "Sold". I am continually amazed at this car.

The question(s): This 'free' torque adjustment sounds perfectly reasonable. However, I only have about 600 miles on my baby so far. Do y'all think I should wait before I do that?

Also, if SkyPup is running at 3 turns... And he blows up his engine, do you think he could get away with just turning it back to factory position and going for the warranty fix, or, do you think there might be some memory that can be downloaded from the car that says 'hey, you were running 26psi, nice try'?

Jeff.

PS I had an 97 Golf GL 2.0 Gasser A3. (It got totalled - don't go there.) The A4 chassis is leaps and bounds ahead of that car in stiffness, and this TDI would smoke that thing off the line and at every speed, without even breathing hard. I think that's where the Turbo really makes a difference.
Jeff Strachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 1999, 20:09   #43
JeffT
Veteran Member

Hey Jeff, search the forum for the word "fraud". There was a prior discussion of the very scenario you are talking about. Also do a search for warranty, there is a lot of discussion about whether modifications of the engine will void your vehicle's warranty.
JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 1999, 21:48   #44
Jeff Strachan
Veteran Member

Ok Jeff, I guess you answered one of my questions, but have spurred another. Is there a search engine of some sort on this site? (Sorry all to stray off the topic. I did look.)

But, I also still have no answer if I might ought not start diddling with my boost pressure before the car has at least, what? 1000 miles? 3000 miles? Ever?

I've pulled engines in multiple vehicles, including a Porsche 928. I'm not too afraid of minor adjustments to factory settings on a new vehicle. I didn't buy a Camry here, and I intend to change my own oil. I don't look at cars as utilities and the engine bay as a sealed box.

Jeff, I see from your profile, you're an attorney. Nothing personal, but is that what made you jump to the term 'fraud'? Sheesh, this is a *performance* thread. I'm assuming we all want to _safely_ push the envelope...

------------------
Jeff
'00 Golf TDI
Old November 28th, 1999, 09:11   #45
Jeff Strachan
Veteran Member

Oops. I found the search link. Sorry for wasted bandwidth.

------------------
Jeff
'00 Golf TDI